2011 Medical Physics Programs

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

twistor

Re: 2011 Medical Physics Programs

Post by twistor » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:37 pm

quizivex wrote: "U R LIKE GIANT water gun OF WISDOM squirting UR KNOWLEDGE ONTO THESZE FORUMSS. PLZ ALOW US TO soak UP UR TASTY WISDOM-water LIKE THE KNOWLEDGE sponges THAT WE R.
You really should be writing Mad Libs.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Captnjohnny1618 wrote:(arrow pointing up to the past 20 replies)

You guys make me hate the internet.
As a person who has given much of his time and own advice to this forum in answering "worthwhile" questions to prospective students, I dislike this comment. It's unfortunate you can't lighten up a little. Most people who post on this site will only use it for their own benefit to use the applicant profiles, post acceptances/rejections and ask for help on certain said topic that has been asked 40 times before. They usually leave immediately afterwords. So give the people a break who keep this forum active. We need to joke a little bit every once and a while or else there would be no reason to come here, hence the forum would die. Unfortunately, I don't come to this site solely to read medical physics acceptances for people who won't stay after their decision or aren't willing to post their profiles to help the next batch of applicants.

-Riley

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:57 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:

As a person who has given much of his time and own advice to this forum in answering "worthwhile" questions to prospective students, I dislike this comment. It's unfortunate you can't lighten up a little. Most people who post on this site will only use it for their own benefit to use the applicant profiles, post acceptances/rejections and ask for help on certain said topic that has been asked 40 times before. They usually leave immediately afterwords. So give the people a break who keep this forum active. We need to joke a little bit every once and a while or else there would be no reason to come here, hence the forum would die. Unfortunately, I don't come to this site solely to read medical physics acceptances for people who won't stay after their decision or aren't willing to post their profiles to help the next batch of applicants.

-Riley
Riley is right. People need to lighten up. So....

Why is Muammar Qaddafi like the p-states of the hydrogen atom?

They are both tripoli-degenerate.

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 pm

admissionprof wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley

lol... congratulations on silencing this thread for 2 days straight... no one will follow your joke

The_Duck

Post by The_Duck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 pm

admissionprof wrote:Why is Muammar Qaddafi like the p-states of the hydrogen atom?

:D

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:55 pm

admissionprof wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley

Dammit! I need time to guess!

Captnjohnny1618

Post by Captnjohnny1618 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:19 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:

As a person who has given much of his time and own advice to this forum in answering "worthwhile" questions to prospective students, I dislike this comment. It's unfortunate you can't lighten up a little. Most...after their decision or aren't willing to post their profiles to help the next batch of applicants.

-Riley
This will be the last post I make on this forum.

I don't doubt that you all have done a lot and given a lot of good advice to others on the Physics GRE forum, and I am all for joking around sometimes, but from the other stuff I have read many of you recently writing (not all though) are NOT applying to medical physics programs. Why did you need to use the medical physics forum to blow of some steam? You guys have put in more posts than the people applying so anyone new navigating to the thread just sees immature sex jokes and no useful info, while the first 20 posts or so were genuinely useful to those going through the application process.

And Riley, I know that you are a huge proponent of posting profile info. That's your right. Its also others' right to NOT post their info. I'm comfortable sharing my decisions with others, but not my GPA, GRE scores, etc. It was previously mentioned that medical physics is too small of a field with too few people to really remain anonymous. Even if I were part of a much larger applicant pool, I still wouldn't post my info because I would just rather not. And I would still come by the forum and post my decisions. Oh my lord though, please leave people alone about not posting their profile information.

Good luck everyone with your decisions. I hope everyone has been getting or gets good news!

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Captnjohnny1618 wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

As a person who has given much of his time and own advice to this forum in answering "worthwhile" questions to prospective students, I dislike this comment. It's unfortunate you can't lighten up a little. Most...after their decision or aren't willing to post their profiles to help the next batch of applicants.

-Riley

I don't doubt that you all have done a lot and given a lot of good advice to others on the Physics GRE forum, and I am all for joking around sometimes, but from the other stuff I have read many of you recently writing (not all though) are NOT applying to medical physics programs. Why did you need to use the medical physics forum to blow of some steam? You guys have put in more posts than the people applying so anyone new navigating to the thread just sees immature sex jokes and no useful info, while the first 20 posts or so were genuinely useful to those going through the application process.
The physics graduate community is a very small group. Medical physics grad students make up an even smaller percentage of that group. That this thread filled with jokes and irrelevant banter isn't a result of us being inconsiderate but rather a combination of very few medical physics students available to comment (thereby making our standard repertoire of BS more pronounced) and the fact that twistor is a med physics student and a well known instigator.

Oh, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

negru

Post by negru » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Captnjohnny1618 wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley

And Riley, I know that you are a huge proponent of posting profile info. That's your right. Its also others' right to NOT post their info. I'm comfortable sharing my decisions with others, but not my GPA, GRE scores, etc. It was previously mentioned that medical physics is too small of a field with too few people to really remain anonymous. Even if I were part of a much larger applicant pool, I still wouldn't post my info because I would just rather not. And I would still come by the forum and post my decisions. Oh my lord though, please leave people alone about not posting their profile information.

Good luck everyone with your decisions. I hope everyone has been getting or gets good news!
lolumad?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Captnjohnny1618 wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley

Hey man, some people are going to talk *** but I respect your position. That's fine and no worries. People are entitled to their opinion and their decisions. GL with your graduate career.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Captnjohnny1618 wrote:Even if I were part of a much larger applicant pool, I still wouldn't post my info because I would just rather not.
I have yet to receive a good response about why a person in general is so worried about staying anonymous. In general, I highly doubt the information you provide could hurt you at all (We already discussed special cases). However, it could help MANY people in deciding where they stand, especially in limited fields such as Medical Physics. It's just a selfless act to do so. Why do I push people so much to post their information? Obviously some of you have it in your head that I have some underlying evil motive to persuade people to do so, when truly I just want to give back to this site how much it has given to me.

So if you want to draw me out as the evil one go ahead. Let me outline some other things so you can back up my uncanny behavior.
Captnjohnny1618 wrote:I am all for joking around sometimes
Actions speak louder than words. Trying to agree with us but disagree overall.
Captnjohnny1618 wrote:Its also others' right to NOT post their info.
It's also your right to straight out ignore me. Why get snappy?
Captnjohnny1618 wrote: immature sex jokes
You're right. That is quite awkward. A physics student telling a sex joke? You'll never hear that in graduate school.

Obviously there is a slightly different caliber of person who trends towards medical physics rather than regular physics (twistor of course transcends all stereotypes).

-Riley

sf3745

Post by sf3745 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Hey...I don't know if anybody still checks this. I am kinda new but have a question for you all. I was hoping to get into MD Anderson for the Fall (didn't happen), but so far have been accepted to Toledo and Oklahoma, both for Masters programs. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these programs? I know they are both CAMPEP, which is obviously important, but how do they measure up to other schools such as MD Anderson, Florida, UCLA, etc?

Also, who has gotten in and to which schools?

Thanks for your guys' help, hopefully this forum isn't dead yet.

vballphys

Post by vballphys » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:23 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
You're right. That is quite awkward. A physics student telling a sex joke? You'll never hear that in graduate school.

Obviously there is a slightly different caliber of person who trends towards medical physics rather than regular physics (twistor of course transcends all stereotypes).
Hahaha, c'mon we are all physics nerds at heart, i dont think being medphys or not changes our "unique" social skills and never-ending amusement regarding sexual jokes. Now nuke engineers are a different breed for sure...

I'd like to put my 2cents in on the privacy war, we all know medphys overall is much more professionally-minded than pure physics so i think that fuels the desire to keep all aspects of non-undergrad related items professional and undisclosed. when i start gradschool i'd like to come back and say what i really think, if i like it ill add my info in but if i have negative views of anything i'd prefer to protect myself.
sf3745 wrote:Hey...I don't know if anybody still checks this. I am kinda new but have a question for you all. I was hoping to get into MD Anderson for the Fall (didn't happen), but so far have been accepted to Toledo and Oklahoma, both for Masters programs. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these programs? I know they are both CAMPEP, which is obviously important, but how do they measure up to other schools such as MD Anderson, Florida, UCLA, etc?

::warning, i grew up in michigan:: i really don't like toledo as a city or ohio as a whole. theres nothing to do (detriot is an hour away and closest source of entertainment) and overall i think the city is pretty unwelcoming for how boring it is, but so is the rest of the state. i don't know much about their program other than they are small and not very well known outside the midwest. the big names (MD Anderson, UW, Florida, Duke, UCLA) have many more full time faculty and graduate students. i dont know anything about OK's program.

I'm surprised that many schools are just now getting into the bulk of their offers (phd programs), i.e. Houston VComm and Wayne State. San Antonio is still off the map and I havent heard of them handing out any offers yet? And Florida just sits there in stone silence despite my emails. Grad schools always lecture to decide before the deadline but if some of the mid-range to top programs aren't giving out offers until mid-March when else are we supposed to decide.

tady

Post by tady » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:27 pm

vballphys wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

Hahaha, c'mon we are all physics nerds at heart, i dont think being medphys or not changes our "unique" social skills and never-ending amusement regarding sexual jokes. Now nuke engineers are a different breed for sure...

I'd like to put my 2cents in on the privacy war, we all know medphys overall is much more professionally-minded than pure physics so i think that fuels the desire to keep all aspects of non-undergrad related items professional and undisclosed. when i start gradschool i'd like to come back and say what i really think, if i like it ill add my info in but if i have negative views of anything i'd prefer to protect myself.
sf3745 wrote:Hey...I don't know if anybody still checks this. I am kinda new but have a question for you all. I was hoping to get into MD Anderson for the Fall (didn't happen), but so far have been accepted to Toledo and Oklahoma, both for Masters programs. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these programs? I know they are both CAMPEP, which is obviously important, but how do they measure up to other schools such as MD Anderson, Florida, UCLA, etc?

::warning, i grew up in michigan:: i really don't like toledo as a city or ohio as a whole. theres nothing to do (detriot is an hour away and closest source of entertainment) and overall i think the city is pretty unwelcoming for how boring it is, but so is the rest of the state. i don't know much about their program other than they are small and not very well known outside the midwest. the big names (MD Anderson, UW, Florida, Duke, UCLA) have many more full time faculty and graduate students. i dont know anything about OK's program.

I'm surprised that many schools are just now getting into the bulk of their offers (phd programs), i.e. Houston VComm and Wayne State. San Antonio is still off the map and I havent heard of them handing out any offers yet? And Florida just sits there in stone silence despite my emails. Grad schools always lecture to decide before the deadline but if some of the mid-range to top programs aren't giving out offers until mid-March when else are we supposed to decide.
Hahaha, c'mon we are all physics nerds at heart, i dont think being medphys or not changes our "unique" social skills and never-ending amusement regarding sexual jokes.
Alright, bring it in for a group hug everybody, that's right big group hug....watch your hands....

HP

Post by HP » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Speaking of San Antonio, a friend of mine went to visit the department on his own and reported back some disappointing news. One of the professors there told him they are admitting ONE student into the PHD program and that they pretty much decided who that was already. Could explain why nobody has heard anything from them at all.

sf3745

Post by sf3745 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:10 pm

So...is it worth it to go to a "second-tier" CAMPEP program like oklahoma or toledo? Or do you pretty much have to go to Wisconsin, etc. in order to have it look good on your resume and help you get a job?

Any comments/help is appreciated.

vballphys

Post by vballphys » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 pm

definitely!!! especially if you plan on someday pursing a phd, residency, or professional doctorate program in the field. And if you plan on looking for a job in the area of the school you should (hopefully) have luck from connections with professors/clinicians and/or the reputation of the school in the surrounding area. in my experience, the bigger schools boast their ability to get their students jobs all over the country but that doesn't mean going to a smaller school wouldn't get you a job, with the changes coming to the field regarding CAMPEP accredited education you really can't go wrong going to one of these schools. just my opinion though, don't know if anyone has something else to say. i didn't mean to completely turn you off of toledo, if it were my decision and it came down to toledo or a non-CAMPEP for a 2yr MS program i would choose toledo

sf3745

Post by sf3745 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks...actually, you didn't turn me off to Toledo. A "boring" town would be nice since I have a wife and one-year old son! My biggest concern is that I go to an accredited program that is somewhat small and not so well known, but still a decent program, and by the time I am done I realize that all of the jobs are taken by "big" school graduates. I guess there will always be that fear no matter what profession we join, but it is real nonetheless.

Thanks for your input, I feel like I was blessed to be accepted to any of these CAMPEP programs. It is my experience that all of them are extremely competitive and any acceptance is a good one.

Anyways, keep the replies coming, I am curious to know where everybody is getting into this year.

Also, anyone have any idea what we can expect in the job market in a few years?

sf3745

Post by sf3745 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Florida for $30,000 or Toledo for nothing....

I can't decide..... that's a ton of money and who know if I find a job afterwards or not. Any opinions?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:35 pm

sf3745 wrote:Florida for $30,000 or Toledo for nothing....

I can't decide..... that's a ton of money and who know if I find a job afterwards or not. Any opinions?
With a family? Take the one that's funded. I don't think there's enough difference between Florida and Toledo in terms of stature to warrant going into debt.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:53 pm

grae313 wrote:
sf3745 wrote:Florida for $30,000 or Toledo for nothing....

With a family? Take the one that's funded. I don't think there's enough difference between Florida and Toledo in terms of stature to warrant going into debt.
I agree with this and, in fact, I'm a bit surprised you're even unsure. Unless you've got a rich uncle that's about the croak or some other unusual exception, you really shouldn't be gambling with your families health and well-being.

sf3745

Post by sf3745 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Good points...I just don't know how much it matters that you head to one of the major programs or if finding a job will be about the same either way. I could much easier pay off loans if I can find a job then I could support the family without a job. I guess I am still just a little unsure as to job prospects in a few years.

Thanks for the opinions though.

vballphys

Post by vballphys » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:02 pm

here is an article, a few years old but still an interesting read.
http://www.jacmp.org/index.php/jacmp/ar ... /3005/1881