finding places to live in umd

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

orange

finding places to live in umd

Post by orange » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:25 pm

hi everyone,

first, i hope everyone get into somewhere after all the craziness-es. and, here is my question. i decided to accept the offer from university of maryland-college park, and i am browsing the web to look for apts. i am wondering if anyone who know the area can give me some suggestions of where is safer/more convenient/cheaper/near metro etc. and maybe more info about life in umd.

thank you very much in advance! =)

bfollinprm

Re: finding places to live in umd

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:42 pm

orange wrote:hi everyone,

first, i hope everyone get into somewhere after all the craziness-es. and, here is my question. i decided to accept the offer from university of maryland-college park, and i am browsing the web to look for apts. i am wondering if anyone who know the area can give me some suggestions of where is safer/more convenient/cheaper/near metro etc. and maybe more info about life in umd.

thank you very much in advance! =)
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... =baltimore

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/141- ... d-suburbs/

Personal opinion? Live near the metro: Tacoma Park, Silver Spring, Prince George, or of course college park itself.

EDIT: POST YOUR PROFILE! You've accepted, so no excuses!

twinb87

Re: finding places to live in umd

Post by twinb87 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:10 pm

I am currently a graduate student at UMD. I personally would avoid living in College Park because I find it crowded and there are parts in around the town that are not that safe. However, living in College Park would be the most convenient as there is a metro station fairly close to campus and you would be within walking distance. I actually live in a town about a 10-15 drive from the campus and I actually find my location quite convenient since it is right on one of the university's shuttle routes.

Anyway, if you have any questions about certain locations or anything about UMD in general please feel free to contact me.