Too early to email schools asking about admission status?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

ekuphysics

Too early to email schools asking about admission status?

Post by ekuphysics » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:59 am

Seeing as a lot of schools have sent out at least a first round of offers, is it still too early to write and ask about your status from the graduate programs? According to gradcafe, many of the schools I have applied to have sent acceptances and some rejections. Is it a good thing that I haven't heard anything (waitlisted), or is it (more likely) that they just haven't gotten around to it? I am sure that they are swarmed with emails, but if it is too early, when is an appropriate time to ask? (and don't be a jerk and say April 15....I may hurt you for that one)

bfollinprm

Re: Too early to email schools asking about admission status?

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 am

ekuphysics wrote:Seeing as a lot of schools have sent out at least a first round of offers, is it still too early to write and ask about your status from the graduate programs? According to gradcafe, many of the schools I have applied to have sent acceptances and some rejections. Is it a good thing that I haven't heard anything (waitlisted), or is it (more likely) that they just haven't gotten around to it? I am sure that they are swarmed with emails, but if it is too early, when is an appropriate time to ask? (and don't be a jerk and say April 15....I may hurt you for that one)
I've already asked. It's march; they should explain themselves. I've got visits to plan!

EDIT: I skipped the UC's, since they seem to have just begun their process, but I think everyone else is fair game. I even emailed Austin, since they've had my application for a while. I know they haven't sent any decisions (just invited a few to the open house), but still....

Captain_Slow

Post by Captain_Slow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 pm

I have emailed the universities that I would really like to go to (more than the one I have been accepted to) that have not replied yet. By looking through past gradcafe profiles, it looks like some people just don't get replies unless they ask for it, or know that it is too late to get one (this time is nearing soon).

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Captain_Slow wrote:I have emailed the universities that I would really like to go to (more than the one I have been accepted to) that have not replied yet. By looking through past gradcafe profiles, it looks like some people just don't get replies unless they ask for it, or know that it is too late to get one (this time is nearing soon).
Mine got back and said they were still reviewing my application. Bullshit, but ill take it as waitlisting.