Is not getting rejected the same as being wishlisted?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

CarlBrannen

Is not getting rejected the same as being wishlisted?

Post by CarlBrannen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 am

Harvard appears to have sent out some rejections but they've overlooked me. Does that mean I'm not completely doomed?

What about when one of the rejected people writes on the grad cafe:
"emailed shiela ferguson, what I understand is, there will not be any more offers of admission from Harvard after the 17th of feb batch of acceptances"

What about the guy who writes about MIT: "As per previous year stats, if you haven't heard by now, you're rejected." ?

matto07

Re: Is not getting rejected the same as being wishlisted?

Post by matto07 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:20 am

CarlBrannen wrote:Harvard appears to have sent out some rejections but they've overlooked me. Does that mean I'm not completely doomed?
I hope so :), for your sake and for mine.

Though if they are going to reject me, I hope they do it sooner rather than later; this perennial state of anxiety is killing me.

Anyways, good luck.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:44 am

Harvard is one of those schools that doesn't even bother to send you a rejection until April. At least that's what happened to me. Miracles happen, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Don't hold your breadth for Harvard, I'd say. There are people who apparently have already been waitlisted, and if past years on gradcafe is any indication, Harvard doesn't send out any more acceptances after the initial batch.

BobD

Post by BobD » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Someone posted last week (Wed to be exact) on gradcafe that "called the department; a new round will be up by the end of the week." There don't seem to be any new acceptances, however, except for one person who received it by postal mail. Then, yesterday, someone else said, "As per previous year stats, if you haven't heard by now, you're rejected." So which is it? Well, I guess if there's no acceptance by the 1st of March, there won't be one, I'd say.

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 pm

What about other schools? I'm still in limbo for 5 of my applications and I'd like to make my decision and move on.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:44 pm

You'll want to check past admission threads on this site or the grad cafe to see when the schools you are waiting on typically send out their final wave of admissions. However for most schools, if you haven't heard back by March your chances are being admitted are very low.

negru

Post by negru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah this is a pretty weird season. I only heard back from my top 3 choices, none of my safeties or matches (i applied to 12 schools in total). And nothing from the UC's.

They probably realized I was too good for them?

negru

Post by negru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Or maybe they are simply stunned by my impressive application? Wouldn't surprise me actually. I've often had that happen with females impressed with my "application".

EDIT was just rejected by MIT. Again not surprising, as I've also been rejected by females for being just way too awesome. Sorry, you're just too *** awesome they say to me. But, you know, it's just something you gotta live with.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:56 pm

negru wrote:Or maybe they are simply stunned by my impressive application? Wouldn't surprise me actually. I've often had that happen with females impressed with my "application".

EDIT was just rejected by MIT. Again not surprising, as I've also been rejected by females for being just way too awesome. Sorry, you're just too *** awesome they say to me. But, you know, it's just something you gotta live with.
Why is it that every time you post, you post an initial thought and immediately follow that up by a second continuation of your previous thought?

To help you make your posts more concise, I've created a generalized heuristic for you to follow

1. Think of something to post
2. Hit the 'Add Reply' button
3. Type what you are thinking
4. MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO SAY
5. Hit the 'Submit' button
6. Sit back, twiddle thumbs and resist the urge to hit 'Add Reply' button again.

For the rest of the forum members, let us take note from this point forward that negru's post count is in fact only half of what his profile claims.

That is all

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:26 pm

grae313 wrote:You'll want to check past admission threads on this site or the grad cafe to see when the schools you are waiting on typically send out their final wave of admissions. However for most schools, if you haven't heard back by March your chances are being admitted are very low.
March is here tomorrow and I heard nothing today. Of the 5 schools I'm waiting to hear from, only CU APS has any acceptances on gradcafe. NMT has nothing, ever. The rest I don't really care much about because I'd pick Colorado State over them anyway.
I'm thinking, when I get back from visiting CSU next week, I'll withdraw most of my applications weather I've heard back or not. I need to get on with my life.

Of course, as soon as I do that, it will pass a fully funded acceptance to CU or NMT in the mail and I will probably have screwed myself. :evil:

negru

Post by negru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:28 pm

HappyQuark wrote: For the rest of the forum members, let us take note from this point forward that negru's post count is in fact only half of what his profile claims.

That is all
NOOO! You can't do that to me !

negru

Post by negru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 pm

And I'm sorry but some replies are just so good it would be a crime to not have their own post.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:00 pm

t2kburl wrote:
grae313 wrote:You'll want to check past admission threads on this site or the grad cafe to see when the schools you are waiting on typically send out their final wave of admissions. However for most schools, if you haven't heard back by March your chances are being admitted are very low.
March is here tomorrow and I heard nothing today. Of the 5 schools I'm waiting to hear from, only CU APS has any acceptances on gradcafe. NMT has nothing, ever. The rest I don't really care much about because I'd pick Colorado State over them anyway.
I'm thinking, when I get back from visiting CSU next week, I'll withdraw most of my applications weather I've heard back or not. I need to get on with my life.

Of course, as soon as I do that, it will pass a fully funded acceptance to CU or NMT in the mail and I will probably have screwed myself. :evil:
If there is no word on the grad cafe, there is a chance these schools do acceptances a bit later. Unless you're sure you wouldn't go to a school even if you were accepted then there is no reason to withdraw your application. There is no rush to respond to an offer. Visit the schools and take your time in considering your options. Don't hold your breath for the schools that you haven't heard from yet, but there's no reason to limit your options prematurely if there's a possibility you might attend one of those schools. You have until April 15th to make a decision.

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Yes, I suppose a bit more patience is in order.
Tough job convincing the family of that, when we all know we're going somewhere but we don't know where yet.
At least, I can cut it to 3 possibilities if CSU comes up with a reasonable funding offer on Friday.

This decision process is no joke. Tougher than my E/M midterm!

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:43 am

What do you all think of the idea of visiting a school you have not heard back from yet?
Since I'm going to be in Colorado next week, I'm considering visiting CU and possibly NMT, while I'm in the area. I will not get another chance to visit, if my acceptance comes later.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:16 am

t2kburl wrote:What do you all think of the idea of visiting a school you have not heard back from yet?
Since I'm going to be in Colorado next week, I'm considering visiting CU and possibly NMT, while I'm in the area. I will not get another chance to visit, if my acceptance comes later.
Why don't you email the admissions secretary and let her know your plans? They might move faster on your application.

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:14 am

bfollinprm wrote:
t2kburl wrote:What do you all think of the idea of visiting a school you have not heard back from yet?
Why don't you email the admissions secretary and let her know your plans? They might move faster on your application.
Good idea. Sent one to NMT, but I'm not going to bother with sending one to CU. They have yet to acknowledge my existence other than to send a receipt for my $50, so I'm sure they wouldn't respond to a visit request, either.

**edit: I decided to take a shot at emailing CU also. If nothing else, I may at least find out my status.

Ruby890

Post by Ruby890 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:00 pm

From my and my family's experience with CU, the departments are much more friendly and approachable than the Graduate school & admissions people. It's almost as if they don't speak to one another!

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 pm

negru wrote:And I'm sorry but some replies are just so good it would be a crime to not have their own post.
Such as the one quoted above.