2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

tradster

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by tradster » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:11 pm

entanglement wrote:The grad admission secretary at Berkeley told me that most of the acceptance will be out by March 15, then they will start sending rejection letters! From what I know, we should hear by March 1st week, if we get in.

P.S.: Berkeley got this super grumpy old lady who takes care of the grad admission stuffs.
I am so paranoid to hear back from Berkeley right now... that I'm refreshing my email account like every 20 seconds. Can't concentrate on work at all :(

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 pm

tradster wrote:
entanglement wrote:The grad admission secretary at Berkeley told me that most of the acceptance will be out by March 15, then they will start sending rejection letters! From what I know, we should hear by March 1st week, if we get in.

P.S.: Berkeley got this super grumpy old lady who takes care of the grad admission stuffs.
I am so paranoid to hear back from Berkeley right now... that I'm refreshing my email account like every 20 seconds. Can't concentrate on work at all :(
You aren't likely to hear back from Berkeley today. More likely thursday or friday. They haven't had their meetings yet, and no one likes monday meetings because that's teleconference day. So expect the email after their mid-week admissions committee meetings (they likely need 2+ to go through all applications the first time), and possibly next week if you don't make the first cut, after they make a 3rd and 4th read of your application.

tradster

Post by tradster » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
tradster wrote:

You aren't likely to hear back from Berkeley today. More likely thursday or friday. They haven't had their meetings yet, and no one likes monday meetings because that's teleconference day. So expect the email after their mid-week admissions committee meetings (they likely need 2+ to go through all applications the first time), and possibly next week if you don't make the first cut, after they make a 3rd and 4th read of your application.
Good to know. Now I can force myself to get back to work! Thanks!

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sphy

Post by sphy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm

vesperlynd wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:You aren't likely to hear back from Berkeley today. More likely thursday or friday. They haven't had their meetings yet, and no one likes monday meetings because that's teleconference day. So expect the email after their mid-week admissions committee meetings (they likely need 2+ to go through all applications the first time), and possibly next week if you don't make the first cut, after they make a 3rd and 4th read of your application.
Berkeley already went through some applications, because I received that email saying I'm going to be admitted as long as I sent an official transcript on Feb. 7.
You are heating the forum right now by fanning the fire towards us.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:12 pm

vesperlynd wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:You aren't likely to hear back from Berkeley today. More likely thursday or friday. They haven't had their meetings yet, and no one likes monday meetings because that's teleconference day. So expect the email after their mid-week admissions committee meetings (they likely need 2+ to go through all applications the first time), and possibly next week if you don't make the first cut, after they make a 3rd and 4th read of your application.
Berkeley already went through some applications, because I received that email saying I'm going to be admitted as long as I sent an official transcript on Feb. 7.
I was just trying to be helpful and get people back to work ;). My argument still applies though, since if they had an answer, they'd have sent it out last week, and they still aren't going to meet today, so any new decisions will be later in the week. I bet they found their fellowship students already; they have to because the fellowship nomination deadline at Berkeley is today.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm

bfollinprm wrote: You aren't likely to hear back from Berkeley today. More likely thursday or friday. They haven't had their meetings yet, and no one likes monday meetings because that's teleconference day. So expect the email after their mid-week admissions committee meetings (they likely need 2+ to go through all applications the first time), and possibly next week if you don't make the first cut, after they make a 3rd and 4th read of your application.
Not to encourage slacking off at work, but I got an email from Berkeley last Friday stating that they are going to meet this Monday. I would not be anxiously waiting for an email though.

I really want to hear back from Berkeley today, however, to decide whether I should waste my time filing out FAFSA before March 1, since Berkeley seems to be the only school that asks for it.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:33 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:
bfollinprm wrote: You aren't likely to hear back from Berkeley today. More likely thursday or friday. They haven't had their meetings yet, and no one likes monday meetings because that's teleconference day. So expect the email after their mid-week admissions committee meetings (they likely need 2+ to go through all applications the first time), and possibly next week if you don't make the first cut, after they make a 3rd and 4th read of your application.
Not to encourage slacking off at work, but I got an email from Berkeley last Friday stating that they are going to meet this Monday. I would not be anxiously waiting for an email though.

I really want to hear back from Berkeley today, however, to decide whether I should waste my time filing out FAFSA before March 1, since Berkeley seems to be the only school that asks for it.
If Berkeley is going to give you a fellowship you need to fill out the FAFSA. But I bet they've already told whoever was going to get the fellowships to fill the FAFSA out already. Note: the small supplement fellowships don't require FAFSA, so this doesn't apply to them, only to TA-replacing fellowships.

negru

Post by negru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:23 pm

UCSB is out, check your status website.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matto07

Post by matto07 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Any word from UT or UC: San Diego??

Adarsh

Post by Adarsh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Accepted to University of Arizona.

9 month TA: $15,042

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:41 pm

matto07 wrote:Any word from UT or UC: San Diego??
I think I read somewhere on the website that uc san diego is slightly behind

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm also waiting on UCSD and gradcafe only lists 2 acceptances so far. It looks like last year they had most of their acceptances out by now and were starting to send out rejections so they must have fallen behind this year.

tradster

Post by tradster » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:59 am

HappyQuark wrote:
I'm also waiting on UCSD and gradcafe only lists 2 acceptances so far. It looks like last year they had most of their acceptances out by now and were starting to send out rejections so they must have fallen behind this year.
Just by looking at the profiles I can already see 6 people (including myself) get (unofficially?) accepted to UCSD physics. I don't know about the others, but mine was pretty unofficial - it was the "theoretical biophysics representative" of the admission committee who sent my the email telling me that "all likelihood you will be granted admission". No words on funding yet, but they did invite us to the open house.

tut tut

Post by tut tut » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:06 am

vesperlynd wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:If Berkeley is going to give you a fellowship you need to fill out the FAFSA. But I bet they've already told whoever was going to get the fellowships to fill the FAFSA out already. Note: the small supplement fellowships don't require FAFSA, so this doesn't apply to them, only to TA-replacing fellowships.
Has anyone here been notified they are nominated for a Berkeley fellowship?

Nope.

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:23 am

Has any international student been admitted to UCSB at all? I guess they have to admit at least one, otherwise we should ask for refund of app fee :twisted:

sphy

Post by sphy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 am

@All:
All of you who have happy news (truly happy news!) please withdraw your application from other schools. That will definitely multiply happiness. Trust me.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:01 am

cryingsun wrote:Has any international student been admitted to UCSB at all? I guess they have to admit at least one, otherwise we should ask for refund of app fee :twisted:
If you look at frequently asked questions on UC schools' websites, you find they decide on domestic students first. You'll get yours at some point.

Though you went to undergraduate school in the US, and I'm never sure where that leaves a person in the eyes of an admissions committee.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Mmmm!

Offered a Graduate Fellowship at William & Mary. An extra $3000 each year for the first two years. I'm glad those awesome pictures I attached to my application came in handy somewhere. Obviously someone understands the awesomeness they imply!

In other words, this pretty much narrows down my decision. I'd be pretty surprised if I attend elsewhere, but I still plan to visit a couple other schools on my list to confirm this.

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Mmmm!

Offered a Graduate Fellowship at William & Mary. An extra $3000 each year for the first two years. I'm glad those awesome pictures I attached to my application came in handy somewhere. Obviously someone understands the awesomeness they imply!

In other words, this pretty much narrows down my decision. I'd be pretty surprised if I attend elsewhere, but I still plan to visit a couple other schools on my list to confirm this.

-Riley
Awesome Possum!

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:16 pm

-Riley
When's the visit to W&M?

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
cryingsun wrote:Has any international student been admitted to UCSB at all? I guess they have to admit at least one, otherwise we should ask for refund of app fee :twisted:
If you look at frequently asked questions on UC schools' websites, you find they decide on domestic students first. You'll get yours at some point.

Though you went to undergraduate school in the US, and I'm never sure where that leaves a person in the eyes of an admissions committee.
I was rejected, along with almost (or all) every other internationals.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:59 pm

bfollinprm wrote:

-Riley
When's the visit to W&M?
March 15th.

-Riley

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:30 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:

-Riley
When's the visit to W&M?
March 15th.

-Riley
Beware the Ides of March...

I had an REU at William and Mary this past summer.

enthree

Post by enthree » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:12 am

Chicago!
Nope

okjk

Post by okjk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Just heard back from UT Austin :) still waiting on formal offer of financial support.

TR137

Post by TR137 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Just got an acceptance email from UT Austin (physics), the decision is also on the website for me.

No word on funding yet.

et

Post by et » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm

UCLA :) guess I won't go 0-for on the UC's.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 pm

fandangoya wrote:What would you guys say is the typical dress for an open house/visit? I was thinking of just a polo and khakis - would this be too informal or not?
I'm digging out the clothes my mother use to dress me in as a youngster for my visits to William/Mary and Brown. Oh boy do I sure hope they still fit!

It appears from her choice of attire, my mother knew I was destined to be a Physicist before I even did!

-Riley

giga17

Post by giga17 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:18 am

Anyone knows if Chicago has sent out all their offers?

postman

Post by postman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:08 am

Guys, sorry for reminding you - don't hesitate to decline offers early, somebody may need your slot.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 am

TR137 wrote:Just got an acceptance email from UT Austin (physics), the decision is also on the website for me.

No word on funding yet.
okjk wrote:Just heard back from UT Austin :) still waiting on formal offer of financial support.
Did you get invited to the open house?

TR137

Post by TR137 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 pm

bfollinprm wrote: Did you get invited to the open house?
yes, invited and attended.

et

Post by et » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Just accepted to Perimeter Scholars International! Now I can post my profile :)

Edit: just accepted at Berkeley too! Great morning!

drunkscientist

Post by drunkscientist » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:52 pm

PI is a great place :) I was there for an internship before a couple of years

ol

Post by ol » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:22 pm

et wrote:Just accepted to Perimeter Scholars International! Now I can post my profile :)

Congratulations! I was accepted this morning also. Do you know when we will hear about funding?

et

Post by et » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm

drunkscientist wrote:PI is a great place :) I was there for an internship before a couple of years
Yeah, I'm really excited! I have some tough choices to make now.
ol wrote:Congratulations! I was accepted this morning also. Do you know when we will hear about funding?
No idea, sorry. I would guess we'll get a mailed package sometime soon with all of that info.

sphy

Post by sphy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:49 am

ol wrote:
et wrote:Just accepted to Perimeter Scholars International! Now I can post my profile :)

Congratulations! I was accepted this morning also. Do you know when we will hear about funding?
Awesome! And that's cute.

matto07

Post by matto07 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:42 am

Accepted to San Diego... no word about funding or visiting (lame sauce)

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:05 pm

matto07 wrote:Accepted to San Diego... no word about funding or visiting (lame sauce)
Likewise. It's like the physics department hasn't been told we've been invited to matriculate yet. From previous years though, I think we can expect the standard 17k CA 9-month teaching fellowship, plus a supplemental fellowship (last year 11k) and summer support (should add up to ~35k).

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 pm

et wrote:
drunkscientist wrote:PI is a great place :) I was there for an internship before a couple of years
Yeah, I'm really excited! I have some tough choices to make now.
PI sounds like a fantastic place, congrats! I thought about applying, but missed the deadline while wondering whether I need to go through another round of application process after attending PI for a year.
ol wrote:Congratulations! I was accepted this morning also. Do you know when we will hear about funding?
No idea, sorry. I would guess we'll get a mailed package sometime soon with all of that info.
Does anyone know if the Berkeley's detail package is contingent on them receiving the official transcript? I just want postpone the trip to the registrar office as long as possible :mrgreen:

On the very positive side, I was notified by Stanford that I received a 2 year physics departmental fellowship. Yay for do-nothing money!

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:12 pm

And the latest round of humor on gradcafe is ...
Accepted to Harvard, MIT, & Caltech. Who the **** do you think you are UChicago?

ol

Post by ol » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:21 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:Does anyone know if the Berkeley's detail package is contingent on them receiving the official transcript? I just want postpone the trip to the registrar office as long as possible :mrgreen:

On the very positive side, I was notified by Stanford that I received a 2 year physics departmental fellowship. Yay for do-nothing money!
I have no idea if they need the official transcript. You should probably just send them one anyway. Can't hurt. Personally, I have yet to receive any details on funding, and they have my official transcript.

Congrats on the fellowship! Did they notify you by email?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 pm

ol wrote:
axiomofchoice wrote:Does anyone know if the Berkeley's detail package is contingent on them receiving the official transcript?
UCSD says they need it by August (or they won't let you sign up for classes second semester). Since the UC schools have a lot of common administration, my guess is UCB is the same. Bring it with you on your campus visit (if you aren't visiting, my guess is you aren't going).

matto07

Post by matto07 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:07 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
matto07 wrote:Accepted to San Diego... no word about funding or visiting (lame sauce)
Likewise. It's like the physics department hasn't been told we've been invited to matriculate yet. From previous years though, I think we can expect the standard 17k CA 9-month teaching fellowship, plus a supplemental fellowship (last year 11k) and summer support (should add up to ~35k).
Hmm... not bad. I'm going to email the department and try to get some specifics.
Btw, congrats.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 pm

matto07 wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:
Hmm... not bad. I'm going to email the department and try to get some specifics.
Btw, congrats.
Thanks. Let us know what they say.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm sure an official transcript won't hurt; it's just that I'm an inherently lazy person and getting an official transcript involves walking more than 10 minutes to a place I don't go usually.
ol wrote: Congrats on the fellowship! Did they notify you by email?
Yup, by email.

creepypasta13

Post by creepypasta13 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm

got into UT-Austin and UCSD. But they're closer to the bottom of my list

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 pm

creepypasta13 wrote:got into UT-Austin and UCSD. Honestly, I'm not terribly excited by either
First acceptances? If not, think about declining. Lots of others would be thrilled.

Also, profile :-P. Seriously though, you sound like you are taking a non-traditional path, and the schools you applied to can really be a resource to like-minded future applicants.