Guns on campus Bill

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

sphy

Guns on campus Bill

Post by sphy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 am

What the use of concealed guns on campus. It's just seems to me funny and naive decision of the USA government.
I mean why not first just tighten up the security so tight that getting one gun will have to go thru' very many processes including 3-4 rounds of psychoanalysis test in the part of the prospective owner.
If a student have a gun then She/He (mostly haphazard morons) can create havoc in our society and especially the aftermath effect in our minds as we all know especially the Virginia Tech incident. So if now everybody has guns then the probability of happening those sad things will rise frequently and unnecessarily. As simple as that.
It's just not to have this bill at the first place. I think USA Govt has some tie up with Somali People and local gun dealers to rise their sell.
It's ridiculous and pathetic.
see Image
We want peace and not an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth and a limb for a limb.
Hope the USA Govt will see the larger picture.
Happy days ahead.

WhoaNonstop

Re: Guns on campus Bill

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 am

sphy wrote:What the use of concealed guns on campus. It's just seems to me funny and naive decision of the USA government.
I mean why not first just tighten up the security so tight that getting one gun will have to go thru' very many processes including 3-4 rounds of psychoanalysis test in the part of the prospective owner.
If a student have a gun then She/He (mostly haphazard morons) can create havoc in our society and especially the aftermath effect in our minds as we all know especially the Virginia Tech incident. So if now everybody has guns then the probability of happening those sad things will rise frequently and unnecessarily. As simple as that.
It's just not to have this bill at the first place. I think USA Govt has some tie up with Somali People and local gun dealers to rise their sell.
see Image
We want peace and not an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth and a limb for a limb.
Happy days ahead.
As far as I know, carrying a concealed weapon on most of the campuses in the United States is illegal. Even though I understand why you think acquiring a gun should be a more difficult task, there are many in the US who would greatly disagree with you. This includes a lot of hunters and people from rural areas.

However, incidents like that at Virginia Tech do not happen every day. I think the bigger problem lies in drunk driving. The penalty for being caught driving drunk is very minimal and yet a ton of people die from this. If it was my decision I would concentrate on the larger issues at hand, such as this, instead of the massively traumatizing ones that rarely happen.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:27 am

WhoaNonstop wrote: As far as I know, carrying a concealed weapon on most of the campuses in the United States is illegal.
-Riley
The only exception I know of is UT Austin (and this hasn't technically passed the Texas legislature yet).

sphy

Post by sphy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 am

WhoaNonstop wrote: Incidents like that at Virginia Tech do not happen every day. I think the bigger problem lies in drunk driving. The penalty for being caught driving drunk is very minimal and yet a ton of people die from this. If it was my decision I would concentrate on the larger issues at hand, such as this, instead of the massively traumatizing ones that rarely happen.

-Riley
Exactly that is my point. There are other big problems like food problem, unemployment problem, as you said drunk driving, and similar stuff. I am not saying that VTM was a minor incident but It can be tackled by say for instance security checks.

Fine if people in the USA use guns for hunting then do those things outside the campus in some distant rural areas and strictly guns should be given to individuals after psychological analysis only. Why all American Airports are so safe a place to sit for a while, on the other hand School campuses are so vulnerable? Such strategies can be implemented even though costlier. And those rare incidents completely disturbs the whole world while costing innocent beautiful lives. And those who survived any such attacks may find very difficult to concentrate on any thing. And they themselves seek psychological tests and their whole life is now under question even though they survived.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:05 pm

sphy wrote:n some distant rural areas and strictly guns should be given to individuals after psychological analysis only.
You try to convince a common hunter that he needs to go in for psychological analysis before he can own a gun and see how that goes.

sphy wrote:And those rare incidents completely disturbs the whole world while costing innocent beautiful lives. And those who survived any such attacks may find very difficult to concentrate on any thing. And they themselves seek psychological tests and their whole life is now under question even though they survived.
Again, very few people die a year from these instances, while thousands of "innocent beautiful lives" die at the hand of a drunk driver. Yet I'm sure the penalty for getting caught with a gun on campus is much greater than driving under the influence.

Also, of course I can not say this from first hand experience, but in this type of situation, my response to surviving something like this would give me a better perspective on life.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 pm

sphy wrote: Fine if people in the USA use guns for hunting then do those things outside the campus in some distant rural areas and strictly guns should be given to individuals after psychological analysis only.
Something like this is politically impossible in America. It's an affront to our privacy concepts and goes against our frontier attitude.

It's a difference of perspective between America and other places in the world. In the US, if a person's rights conflicts somehow with the greater good, the rights win. It's why we have the right to not carry health care, to carry a gun, to undertake vehicles on the highway, and to buy extremely cheap gasoline to power our gas guzzlers. It might be changing, but it hasn't yet.

sphy

Post by sphy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:26 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
Again, very few people die a year from these instances, while thousands of "innocent beautiful lives" die at the hand of a drunk driver. Yet I'm sure the penalty for getting caught with a gun on campus is much greater than driving under the influence.

Also, of course I can not say this from first hand experience, but in this type of situation, my response to surviving something like this would give me a better perspective on life.

-Riley
Nice perspective in the last sentence.
But you're not getting my point every single life is important. And the mishap may be due to various human stupidity. And correct measures are required to.

Well then let the school students go thru these tests only leaving common rural people far behind the line without any such tests but who knows those incidences may be happening there also with out any widespread coverage by media.

So you try to control the drunk drivers and let me handle the psychopaths. :wink: and together make this world beautiful and more beautiful for our future generations.

Thanks

sphy

Post by sphy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
sphy wrote: Fine if people in the USA use guns for hunting then do those things outside the campus in some distant rural areas and strictly guns should be given to individuals after psychological analysis only.
Something like this is politically impossible in America. It's an affront to our privacy concepts and goes against our frontier attitude.

It's a difference of perspective between America and other places in the world. In the US, if a person's rights conflicts somehow with the greater good, the rights win. It's why we have the right to not carry health care, to carry a gun, to undertake vehicles on the highway, and to buy extremely cheap gasoline to power our gas guzzlers. It might be changing, but it hasn't yet.
Hope it'll someday.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:29 pm

sphy wrote:What the use of concealed guns on campus. It's just seems to me funny and naive decision of the USA government.
see Image
Happy days ahead.
No one pays attention to what Texas does.

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:38 pm

grae313 wrote:
see Image
Happy days ahead.
No one pays attention to what Texas does.
Many educational textbooks are published in Texas.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 pm

At my alma mater, we had a gun range on campus. And the gun club put on a display of Wild West gun fight each October. They used real guns with blank charges. All this was on campus.

negru

Post by negru » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:49 pm

sphy wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:

Hope it'll someday.
Yeah boy, can't wait for my rights to be trampled by some ambiguous, artificial and randomly defined "greater good".

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Laws do not prevent things from happening.

Need an example ... google "prohibition 1920s". Then check the statistics for the estimated percentage of the US population that used marijuana when it was legal vs after it became illegal. Want to be more specific? Check the stats for gun related crimes in areas with legal conceal/carry vs those without.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

sphy

Post by sphy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:01 am

t2kburl wrote:Laws do not prevent things from happening.

Yeah you are right. No other animal on planet destroyed their own society as much as we are doing.

sphy

Post by sphy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:05 am

t2kburl wrote: Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
But no one is capable of killing brutally so many people without such facilitators like Guns. And it's a matter of ethics, whats the use of Gun on school campuses?

negru

Post by negru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:15 am

oh would you stop with your green brainwashed garbage.

it's none of your damn business what use a gun has on campuses. I don't go around asking what use you have existing. it's your own business. if you like certain freedoms you have, you shouldn't attempt to limit the freedoms of others. even if those freedoms make no sense to you or you don't like them.

and what do you mean by ethics?

sphy

Post by sphy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:37 am

negru wrote:oh would you stop with your green brainwashed garbage.
I was looking for you.
negru wrote:what do you mean by ethics?
Ahm, It's downloading movies from torrent sites and then not seeding to other peers.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:45 am

Seriously, You're not listening. Although the events that happen such as Virginia Tech are very devastating, they are extremely rare. It's like you're bringing this up because you're afraid that you'll come to school in the US and experience a school shooting.

I was interested, so I looked up how many students literally died during the 2009-2010 school year from a gunshot. There were 7.

I also looked up a statistic on how many people died from drunk driving over the past year: ~10,800.
sphy wrote:But no one is capable of killing brutally so many people without such facilitators like Guns.
You think guns are the biggest problem?

No guns here.

-Riley

sphy

Post by sphy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:Seriously, You're not listening. It's like you're bringing this up because you're afraid that you'll come to school in the US and experience a school shooting.
In India every place is now attacked by terrorists in some way or other. So you never know what will happen next in a city in India. So this is not really a matter of Fear. We are becoming used to it.
Seriously lets stop posting here. It's going no where and we are unnecessarily tensed because of this here. especially Negru.

negru

Post by negru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:05 am

Well you know what else they should ban on campuses? Black people. Yeah. Every week or so we get a report from the police about robberies, usually involving black people. I'm afraid a black person is going to be rob me too, hence they should be banned.

razor

Post by razor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:40 am

negru wrote:Well you know what else they should ban on campuses? Black people. Yeah. Every week or so we get a report from the police about robberies, usually involving black people. I'm afraid a black person is going to be rob me too, hence they should be banned.
Wow negru, you just totally outgayed yourself. :lol:

negru

Post by negru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Way to be offensive to gay people. But now that you mention it, they should ban gay people too. I'm afraid if I walk around some gay is gonna *** me and give me aids.

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 pm

sphy wrote:
t2kburl wrote:Laws do not prevent things from happening.

Yeah you are right. No other animal on planet destroyed their own society as much as we are doing.
Nah. Animals just eat each other. Nothing brutal about that. :lol:

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:50 pm

sphy wrote:
But no one is capable of killing brutally so many people without such facilitators like Guns. And it's a matter of ethics, whats the use of Gun on school campuses?
The bottom line is that there is absolutely no conclusive or compelling evidence suggesting that restricting access to guns has a positive or negative result. I'm not a big fan of guns myself, but I also know better than to insist that other people should be refused access to something based on nothing other than how I feel about the topic.

medanum6298

Post by medanum6298 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 am

see Image
Happy days ahead.
Hope it'll someday.

tady

Post by tady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:32 am

HappyQuark wrote:
sphy wrote:
The bottom line is that there is absolutely no conclusive or compelling evidence suggesting that restricting access to guns has a positive or negative result. I'm not a big fan of guns myself, but I also know better than to insist that other people should be refused access to something based on nothing other than how I feel about the topic.
WhoaNonStop has javelins. Do you think those will be banned?

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 am

tady wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:
sphy wrote: But no one is capable of killing brutally so many people without such facilitators like Guns. And it's a matter of ethics, whats the use of Gun on school campuses?
WhoaNonStop has javelins. Do you think those will be banned?
I don't know about the javelins but I'm relatively sure WhoNonStop will be banned. They will fail, of course, since you can't control pure awesomeness and it just oozes out of him.

tady

Post by tady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 am

Noooo. Don't ban WhoaNonStop! I like him!

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 pm

t2kburl wrote:Nah. Animals just eat each other. Nothing brutal about that. :lol:
The absence of violence in normal human everyday behavior never fails to amaze me.

By the way, I was taught to throw the javelin by a physics grad student on the campus of U. Cal., Irvine. He was trying out for the Olympics decathalon team (didn't make it due to his poor performance on the pole vault, if I recall). We nicknamed him superman because of his combination of body and brains.

Anyway, before I got lessons from him, I definitely threw like a girl. :( What can I say, no one ever taught me to throw. Now I throw like a woman.

tady

Post by tady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:27 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:
t2kburl wrote:Nah. Animals just eat each other. Nothing brutal about that. :lol:
The absence of violence in normal human everyday behavior never fails to amaze me.

By the way, I was taught to throw the javelin by a physics grad student on the campus of U. Cal., Irvine. He was trying out for the Olympics decathalon team (didn't make it due to his poor performance on the pole vault, if I recall). We nicknamed him superman because of his combination of body and brains.

Anyway, before I got lessons from him, I definitely threw like a girl. :( What can I say, no one ever taught me to throw. Now I throw like a woman.
You know, some women are very good with the javelin.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:21 pm

tady wrote:You know, some women are very good with the javelin.
It would have been more accurate to say that "now I throw like an old lady".

Funny thing. I toured a campus today and within 30 minutes after the "tea" I was talking about guns with one. I wonder just how much my redneck shows. (And now you know why I don't let people see me throw.)

Twigger

Post by Twigger » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:34 am

Well, I must say that a student should never ever bring any deadly weapons especially inside the campus. Even though this would make them more safer it would never change the fact that they would eventually used it in some cases. Many events happened that police are trying to stop some rebellious students but they couldn't make them stop that easily, they have to use stun guns too. But after all this non lethal weapon can even kill a person, much more the real one who had a bullet.

sphy

Post by sphy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:03 am

Keath wrote: _______________
mobile app development
This is classic.