2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

fandangoya

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by fandangoya » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:09 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
fandangoya wrote:I really have no idea what you are trying to say here. Because I am simply waiting to post my profile (yes, waiting, not refusing), I'm hiding my "true person" underneath? Where the hell are you getting that from? I'd really like to know.
quizivex wrote:I can understand some people being hesitant... I was hesitant back in 08, but that was mainly because there were hypersensitive people on the forum who were set off by practically anything I said.
Can you answer my question please? How does not posting my profile equate to hiding my "true person"?

I'm trying to have a rational discussion here, I'm not "hypersensitive" and I haven't been "set off". Please just address the question at hand instead of diverting from it.

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:46 pm

fandangoya wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:
fandangoya wrote:I really have no idea what you are trying to say here. Because I am simply waiting to post my profile (yes, waiting, not refusing), I'm hiding my "true person" underneath? Where the hell are you getting that from? I'd really like to know.
quizivex wrote:I can understand some people being hesitant... I was hesitant back in 08, but that was mainly because there were hypersensitive people on the forum who were set off by practically anything I said.
Can you answer my question please? How does not posting my profile equate to hiding my "true person"?

I'm trying to have a rational discussion here, I'm not "hypersensitive" and I haven't been "set off". Please just address the question at hand instead of diverting from it.
Mr. Mysterious, the fact that you are trying to initiate a discussion with others without letting people know anything about yourself is somewhat unnatural (and considered hiding your "true person") under contemporary social standards.

TR137

Post by TR137 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:58 pm

I know of one admissions committee that monitors this forum, as well as the grad cafe. They do not use the information here to make admissions decisions though, rather they are interested in making competitive funding offers based on what other schools are offering.

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Yes I know I am hiding my "true person" on here, but Riley seems to be making an assumption that this privacy somehow translates into my real life and into my future as well. I just thought that was a rather grand assumption to make.

Anyway, this discussion is just getting silly, let's just move on. I'm sorry if I upset or offended anyone, that was not my intention at all.

As of late, I look forward to weekends ending....it means more decisions could be on the way!

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:50 pm

_
Yeah we felt the same way about weekends.
quizivex on 2/17/08 wrote:UGH! And this year is a leap year... so they have a whole extra day to deny us our decisions!!! This is crazy...

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:52 pm

quizivex wrote:_
Yeah we felt the same way about weekends.
quizivex on 2/17/08 wrote:UGH! And this year is a leap year... so they have a whole extra day to deny us our decisions!!! This is crazy...
Errrr this forum is so much fun back then. Someone needs to make some non-PC jokes, and someone needs to get offended. We are all too polite :twisted:

I also look forward to the end of the weekend.

giga17

Post by giga17 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Ok just to add my 2 cents. I think it is perfectly fine to encourage people to post their profiles. However, this is an internet forum after all, and the freedom to post or not post anything is of course undeniable. Playful "coercing" is okay in my opinion, but to start demanding (asking nicely is ok) an explanation from someone who hasn't posted their profile crosses the line for me, and to make ad-hoc judgments about people is even worse. The problem with internet anonymity is we tend to be brash and unafraid in the manner we air our opinions, but this is a forum full of smart people, and I think it speaks well of us if we maintain a decent level of civility. Besides, some people don't like to be told what to do (I'm one of them), and to force it down their throats is just counter-productive.

Different people have different levels of paranoia and are paranoid about different things, and it is hardly my place to question them especially when I don't know anyone personally. However, if you think that this forum has helped you, it would be great if you can reciprocate by helping the next batch of applicants. We all know how scary grad school applications can be, and I'm sure a lot of us were very glad to have access to information that made our lives a bit simpler. That said, the point that it is not necessary to post profiles now is perfectly valid, since these information is only useful for the next batch (us current applicants can only wait obviously, nothing else much to do), and I think it's totally fine to wait till one is officially admitted into a school before posting. I suggest that the thread be kept open for a few months after April for people to post as and when they wish to.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:28 pm

giga17 wrote: Playful "coercing" is okay in my opinion
Just let it be known by the time April 15th rolls around and if you haven't posted your profile I will personally fill your bedroom full of staples and rubber cement.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:23 am

Got in to Davis today. My acceptances have come in exactly the reverse order of when I submitted my application. Not sure what places like Texas are doing with my application (isn't 3 months enough time?)

EDIT: By comparison, Pittsburgh took 3 days. Come on.
Last edited by bfollinprm on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
giga17 wrote: Playful "coercing" is okay in my opinion
Just let it be known by the time April 15th rolls around and if you haven't posted your profile I will personally fill your bedroom full of staples and rubber cement.

-Riley
Depending on the entropy of this scenario, that could be awesome.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:44 am

bfollinprm wrote:Depending on the entropy of this scenario, that could be awesome.
If we both ended up at UCSC we could try it. I highly doubt that will happen since it costs an arm and a leg to live in California.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:01 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:Depending on the entropy of this scenario, that could be awesome.
If we both ended up at UCSC we could try it. I highly doubt that will happen since it costs an arm and a leg to live in California.

-Riley
This is the biggest reason I've heard of so far to go to UCSC. And that includes the pacific ocean, which is pretty damn big.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dreaded Anomaly

Post by Dreaded Anomaly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Admitted to UIUC by email. :)

RabiFlops

Post by RabiFlops » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Dreaded Anomaly wrote:Admitted to UIUC by email. :)
Ditto!

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Where are people finding physics application results stuff on GradCafe?

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:48 pm

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 pm

vesperlynd wrote:I heard from a friend that Harvard is planning to notify people by the end of the week. Let's hope this is true, and let's hope it's sooner in the week than later. I personally want to start planning visits.

I got in contact with Chicago today, and they said most decisions will be made towards the end of February (with the exception of the fellowships already given out). Just for you email checkers out there.

RabiFlops

Post by RabiFlops » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:54 am

Accepted at Stanford (Applied Physics)

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 am

So for those of us who already have acceptances, what are you planning on doing with this summer before heading to grad school?

tradster

Post by tradster » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:23 am

Hell yeah Stanford Applied Physics!!!!!!!!!

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:58 am

fandangoya wrote:So for those of us who already have acceptances, what are you planning on doing with this summer before heading to grad school?
Some people have suggested that relaxing is a good idea, such as getting some mindless job. However, I'll be pushing some of the schools I've been accepted to for a research position during the summer. A lot of them actually offer them but some of them don't. Otherwise, even if I wasn't able to acquire that I would probably move to the area anyways so I could become familiar with it before all the "fun" begins. ;D

-Riley

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 am

If you need to establish residency in a new state, the sooner you go the better!

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Accepted to Brown University today. Ugh, this decision is going to be tough.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:18 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Accepted to Brown University today. Ugh, this decision is going to be tough.

-Riley
Somehow I feel like you're winning a race, and I just fell to second. Congrats!

negru

Post by negru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Also Brown today. Riley, how do you know you got a TA? Did you get any other mail besides the decision has been made one?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:38 pm

negru wrote:Also Brown today. Riley, how do you know you got a TA? Did you get any other mail besides the decision has been made one?
To be honest, I don't "know". However, it is safe to assume the most probable position to be put in the first year would be a teaching assistant position unless you can of course influence a specific professor to take you under your arm. The ones that I have marked Research Assistant on are ones I know that I have been offered a research position directly from a professor. (Maybe I should change this to the general TA/RA offer)

Even though I love the thought of teaching, I'd also like to get started on research, so that adds a little weight to the decision process. I may contact some professors at Brown and attempt to get a research position but like I said, typically most people start out with a teaching assistant position.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:48 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
Even though I love the thought of teaching, I'd also like to get started on research, so that adds a little weight to the decision process. I may contact some professors at Brown and attempt to get a research position but like I said, typically most people start out with a teaching assistant position.

-Riley
<comment deleted by request>

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley
<comment deleted by request>
How dare you talk about my mother like that!

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:20 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Accepted to Brown University today. Ugh, this decision is going to be tough.

-Riley
You took my spot! I got my Brown rejection letter today.

boba

Post by boba » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:39 pm

I just got unofficially accepted to Vanderbilt, and damn does it feel good to know I am going somewhere next year. I was hesitant to add my profile before, but I guess I am in a good mood right now so I posted it.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Noticed that Cornell has accepted some people and wait-listed some (as of today). There must be a huge line drawn of professors who loved my pictures to those who thought I was a complete tool! They can't even make a decision!

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 pm

boba wrote:I just got unofficially accepted to Vanderbilt, and damn does it feel good to know I am going somewhere next year. I was hesitant to add my profile before, but I guess I am in a good mood right now so I posted it.
Way better than working at a combination pizza hut and taco bell. Congrats man!

matto07

Post by matto07 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 pm

fandangoya wrote:So for those of us who already have acceptances, what are you planning on doing with this summer before heading to grad school?
Europe trip! Then finishing up a research project. Oh, and I may break my 4 year long abstinence of the good ol' danky mcdankenstein.

Enough stalling, time to study for E/M midterm...

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:51 pm

matto07 wrote: Europe trip! Then finishing up a research project. Oh, and I may break my 4 year long abstinence of the good ol' danky mcdankenstein.

Tssstssss don't spend all your first year stipend in the good ol' Europe...

In the summer I think I have to brush up on stat mech in preparation for some prelims. I'm really boring, I know. :wink:

Hopefully I can get a RA in the summer though.

enthree

Post by enthree » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:59 am

matto07 wrote:
Europe trip! Then finishing up a research project. Oh, and I may break my 4 year long abstinence of the good ol' danky mcdankenstein.

Holiday sounds like a good idea, could be the last one for a while. When does the year start/when do you need to be over there by?

TR137

Post by TR137 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:27 am

I just posted my profile. It felt reassuring to type everything up, hopefully I'll have good news to report soon!

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 am

@TR137,

You should definitely send an email to each of the grad admissions people informing them of your pending paper, and when it's going to appear. Its common practice and will make a big difference.

giga17

Post by giga17 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 am

Okay I made a few calls regarding decisions/offers.

Princeton: Should be out between this week and next week.
Harvard: Out between next week and early March.
Chicago: Feb 28
MIT: End of the month

bck2school

Post by bck2school » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Someone on gradcafe posted that they have been asked to interview with UW Seattle - Astro. Anyone else hear back from the department?

rims

Post by rims » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 pm

giga17 wrote:Okay I made a few calls regarding decisions/offers.

Could you give more details? Does it mean that all decisions will be out by those dates?

giga17

Post by giga17 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 pm

rims wrote:
giga17 wrote:Okay I made a few calls regarding decisions/offers.

Could you give more details? Does it mean that all decisions will be out by those dates?
Sorry that's all I have. But I guess the bulk of the decisions should be out on the stated dates/time frames.

pymtab

Post by pymtab » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:50 pm

In my Columbia University application it still says nothing under STATUS (in the application status form). They marked my transcripts, tests and recommendations as RECEIVED but it seems they stopped reviewing my application after that and SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS is completely empty. Does anyone else have that problem? It seems like they already sent out acceptances last week so its only rational that they would have contacted me had there been any problem with my application, no?

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:59 pm

pymtab wrote:In my Columbia University application it still says nothing under STATUS (in the application status form). They marked my transcripts, tests and recommendations as RECEIVED but it seems they stopped reviewing my application after that and SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS is completely empty. Does anyone else have that problem? It seems like they already sent out acceptances last week so its only rational that they would have contacted me had there been any problem with my application, no?
I applied to the Columbia applied physics program and I haven't heard a thing from them since I submitted my application, and that bit of contact was just an automated response to my app submission. My app also says that they've received my LORs, scores, etc. It seems that is just how Columbia operates.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pymtab

Post by pymtab » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:10 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
pymtab wrote:In my Columbia University application it still says nothing under STATUS (in the application status form). They marked my transcripts, tests and recommendations as RECEIVED but it seems they stopped reviewing my application after that and SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS is completely empty. Does anyone else have that problem? It seems like they already sent out acceptances last week so its only rational that they would have contacted me had there been any problem with my application, no?
I applied to the Columbia applied physics program and I haven't heard a thing from them since I submitted my application, and that bit of contact was just an automated response to my app submission. My app also says that they've received my LORs, scores, etc. It seems that is just how Columbia operates.
I recall a some recent posts where most applicants had something written under STATUS like "COMPLETE- under review". Maybe our applications are so bad that the admissions people didn't even want to process them :? ?

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:15 pm

pymtab wrote: I recall a some recent posts where most applicants had something written under STATUS like "COMPLETE- under review". Maybe our applications are so bad that the admissions people didn't even want to process them :? ?
I contacted Columbia about it since my app also does not have that "complete enough for review" status. The person (Renee Schwarz) told me that my app was marked as complete as early as late December, but
Sometimes a glitch occurs and the status recorded by our office does not
carry over to the APPLICATION STATUS PDF for viewing by the applicant.
Hope that's helpful.

pymtab

Post by pymtab » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:18 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:
pymtab wrote: I recall a some recent posts where most applicants had something written under STATUS like "COMPLETE- under review". Maybe our applications are so bad that the admissions people didn't even want to process them :? ?
I contacted Columbia about it since my app also does not have that "complete enough for review" status. The person (Renee Schwarz) told me that my app was marked as complete as early as late December, but
Sometimes a glitch occurs and the status recorded by our office does not
carry over to the APPLICATION STATUS PDF for viewing by the applicant.
Hope that's helpful.
Thanks, that's soothing to hear. Is your PDF still missing the "complete enough for review" status?

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:27 pm

vesperlynd wrote:Related to what pymtab said except for Caltech: my Caltech application used to include when my test scores were logged in, and now the status page only has my transcript shown as received. Does anyone else's Caltech status page look like that?
I emailed them in Jan. about GRE score issue and they said that they didn't need official score report for review purpose.