2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

WhoaNonstop

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:33 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:I suggest you drop at least one school and bet me the application fee of that school. I'll bet for you getting in at least half of the schools you have listed, and you can bet against me that you won't get into that many. ;) This way you can make your school list shorter and I can make some cash. =)
axiomofchoice wrote:Got the "congrats" letter from Cornell today. TA + Small fellowship.
axiomofchoice wrote:MIT - accepted via email on 2/2, 2.4k/month fellowship for the first 12 months
Ahem.

-Riley

twinb87

Re: Chat Online

Post by twinb87 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:33 pm

The purpose of the e-mail appears to be to inform you of an opportunity to chat with two officials at the University of Iowa who are experienced in dealing with international students and the admission process. Did you apply to the University of Iowa this year or have you recently expressed interest in applying? If you have already applied than the online chat probably won't be relavant to you as you have already gone through the application process.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:41 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:Thanks all for the support. I'm keeping all the schools on my list (sorry kroner and WhoaNonstop :D)
The bet was never materialized. It evaporated into thin air, and 2/9 = 0.22 < 0.5 8)

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:
axiomofchoice wrote:Thanks all for the support. I'm keeping all the schools on my list (sorry kroner and WhoaNonstop :D)
The bet was never materialized. It evaporated into thin air, and 2/9 = 0.22 < 0.5 8)
We could still make the bet since most of your schools haven't replied yet! I could use around $100 to fund my upcoming graduate school breakdancing crew.

-Riley

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:53 pm

entanglement wrote:
kubikat wrote:
entanglement wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone received an official acceptance MAIL from Yale? If so, I was wondering how the financial package is!
I did! (but I bet you did by now as well). Mine said $29550...
Does anyone know, what do they mean by "a combination of University and teaching fellowships"? Are teaching fellowships any different from teaching assistanships?
Thanks Kubikat,
I haven't received mine YET. May be coz I am in west coast and it is still on the way.
BTW is that $29550 per year or for 9 months?
Per year... But they said dorms are quite cheap ($4500-$7500 per year)... and the rent is about $800/month. :D

sphy

Post by sphy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm

twinb87 wrote:The purpose of the e-mail appears to be to inform you of an opportunity to chat with two officials at the University of Iowa who are experienced in dealing with international students and the admission process. Did you apply to the University of Iowa this year or have you recently expressed interest in applying? If you have already applied than the online chat probably won't be relavant to you as you have already gone through the application process.
Thanks a lot.

sphy

Post by sphy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:02 pm

satyad18 wrote:Even I got the same mail a week back. But as I'm not applying to Iowa, I didn't give much attention. Sorry, can't be of more help here.
Ok! Anyway. Wish you all the best.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:21 pm

vesperlynd wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Harvard, Stanford, or Caltech? Thanks. And congrats to everyone for the recent acceptances!
I heard back from Harvard astronomy, but nothing from the physics department (I applied to both).
I also haven't heard from Stanford (physics) or CalTech (physics)---and I've heard (as of a few days ago through the grape-vine) that Caltech hasn't really started looking at physics applications yet.

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Anybody has an idea what the situation is at Princeton physics?

SSM

Post by SSM » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Woo hoo! Accepted to Illinois.

The_Duck

Post by The_Duck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:42 pm

vesperlynd wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Harvard, Stanford, or Caltech? Thanks. And congrats to everyone for the recent acceptances!
Looking at thegradcafe, last year Stanford sent out its decisions Feb 23-24. It seems like their application deadline is the earliest, and their decisions the latest :roll:

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:47 pm

The_Duck wrote:
Looking at thegradcafe, last year Stanford sent out its decisions Feb 23-24. It seems like their application deadline is the earliest, and their decisions the latest :roll:
Earlier in this thread, someone said the adcom wouldn't be meeting for like 3 more weeks (this was a like a week ago IIRC).

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:05 pm

The_Duck wrote:Looking at thegradcafe, last year Stanford sent out its decisions Feb 23-24. It seems like their application deadline is the earliest, and their decisions the latest
...and $tanford'$ app fee is the highest :cry:

giga17

Post by giga17 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:11 pm

And their app system has no kind of updates whatsoever. I seriously wonder what the $125 pays for.

And for the international people, I also got an informal offer from U Wash. Have to send in extra materials for the offer to be official.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:33 pm

quizivex wrote:
The_Duck wrote:Looking at thegradcafe, last year Stanford sent out its decisions Feb 23-24. It seems like their application deadline is the earliest, and their decisions the latest
Exactly! :evil:

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 am

oh and to add insult to wallet injury... $tanford requires two freaking official transcripts! I know the department and the "grad school" often want their own copy of the applications... but why can't they photocopy the transcript?! Schools make plenty of profit on applications, and this is the kind of trivial processing the fees are "supposedly" for in the first place. Someone should call out Stanford in writing or complain to the "council of graduate schools". They shouldn't be able to arbitrarily decide to steal almost twice as much $ as everyone else. They use the same app software that half the country uses so there's nothing in the process that should cost more for them.

yaweblnw

Post by yaweblnw » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:39 am

quizivex wrote:
One of the myriad tiny little reasons so many people resent stanford...
and why their quality and prestige is slowly dwindling. Their medical program, for instance, has significantly worsened over the past decade; physics less so, but still noticeably.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:19 am

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:33 am

Well while we're on the discussion of fees....I'd really like to know why ETS needs $23 PER school to mail a piece of paper. Now that seems absolutely ludicrous to me.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:09 pm

kacsa8

Post by kacsa8 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:19 pm

fandangoya wrote:Well while we're on the discussion of fees....I'd really like to know why ETS needs $23 PER school to mail a piece of paper. Now that seems absolutely ludicrous to me.
TRUE THAT! It isn't enough that each test of theirs costs around $150 (!) a pop ($140 subject, $160 general). My wife is majoring in physics teaching, so she had to pay them another $130 for the PRAXIS garbage. Just thinking of myself, I've paid them for the PSAT, the SAT, three SAT IIs, around 10 AP tests, a subject GRE, a general GRE, and additional score reports to half the schools I applied to... that's easily over a thousand dollars from just me alone. Think of how many kids each year are forced to pay outrageous fees for any of these tests... and then think of what all the money goes for: a piece of paper. A scantron reader. Heck, my quantitative/verbal scores were all IDENTICAL going from SAT to SAT IIs to general GRE... seems like I didn't need to pay so much to tell them something they already charged me out the nose for multiple times. And $23 to mail a report? I had no idea that the cost of paper, ink, and postage had gone up so dramatically this year...

Yeah, yeah, I know. They have to pay to develop the tests (...since they change so drastically from year to year, I know I'm at least getting my money's worth there...), they have to pay the proctors, they have to pay graders for written portions, yada yada yada. They claim to be a "private nonprofit organization", but seriously? If they really need to charge THAT much merely to recover their costs, then maybe things could be run a tad more efficiently. And I know what they say on their website about themselves and the word "monopoly", but from Wikipedia:

In economics, a monopoly (from Greek monos / μονος (alone or single) + polein / πωλειν (to sell)) exists when a specific individual or an enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it.

Sounds to me like it fits the bill... and maybe that's why they have so many resources on their website attempting to argue to the contrary...

Sorry guys. Pent up anguish over waiting to hear from my top schools, I'm sure...

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:56 pm

fandangoya wrote:Well while we're on the discussion of fees....I'd really like to know why ETS needs $23 PER school to mail a piece of paper. Now that seems absolutely ludicrous to me.
If ONLY THEY DID mail a whole piece of paper. That's not how ETS works.

ETS sends a CD with ALL of the scores on it. When you pay the $23 per recipient, thats to get your score added to the CD. The CD is sent in frequent intervals to ever institution. Does it make any sense?! NO!

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:28 pm

zhermes wrote:

ETS sends a CD with ALL of the scores on it. When you pay the $23 per recipient, thats to get your score added to the CD. The CD is sent in frequent intervals to ever institution. Does it make any sense?! NO!
How does that work though if you can choose scores that you DON'T want schools to see? For example, I told ETS to only send my General GRE score to some schools, and not the PGRE. Are you saying that those schools could still see my PGRE score?

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:36 pm

fandangoya wrote:
zhermes wrote:

How does that work though if you can choose scores that you DON'T want schools to see? For example, I told ETS to only send my General GRE score to some schools, and not the PGRE. Are you saying that those schools could still see my PGRE score?
I would guess that each school has a different set or different access to the complete set.

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:38 pm

quizivex wrote:
On the subject.... did anyone else get e-mails from "Stanfod Physics"?
That was the name on the e-mail for my reminders of online application submission deadlines (both of them). At first I was worried it was a scam... but the actual e-mail address checked out.

tconklin

Post by tconklin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:59 pm

zhermes wrote:

So we pay $23 to have our scores placed on a CD with 100s of other applicants? That CD is even more expensive than some of Microsoft's products :lol:

kacsa8

Post by kacsa8 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:09 pm

zhermes wrote:
quizivex wrote:
That was the name on the e-mail for my reminders of online application submission deadlines (both of them). At first I was worried it was a scam... but the actual e-mail address checked out.

I did. That snafu and their fee was enough to not finish my application... pretty ridiculous

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:18 pm

zhermes wrote:
quizivex wrote:
I saw a similar typo from other schools. I get that anyone can make a mistake like that....but really? I slaved over making sure there weren't any typos in my SOP...throws up a huge red flag to me.

et

Post by et » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Just admitted to Chicago physics! 32k fellowship!

pymtab

Post by pymtab » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Did you hear from them by email?

et

Post by et » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Yup.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:50 pm

et wrote:Just admitted to Chicago physics! 32k fellowship!

Congrats! Just a reminder, since Riley/Grae will do it anyway. Post your profile!

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Saturday admittance? Somebody is working hard :wink:

It seems to be quite early for Chicago, based on past years on gradcafe. Are you one of the very few who sent in the application really early and thus got earlier review?

Congrats by the way!

et

Post by et » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:06 pm

bfollinprm wrote: Congrats! Just a reminder, since Riley/Grae will do it anyway. Post your profile!
I will once I hear from my first choice. They didn't require GRE scores and I didn't send them, and the pool of Canadian applicants isn't that huge, so I'd rather just be paranoid for now and avoid any chance of being identified.
axiomofchoice wrote:Saturday admittance? Somebody is working hard :wink:

It seems to be quite early for Chicago, based on past years on gradcafe. Are you one of the very few who sent in the application really early and thus got earlier review?

Congrats by the way!
I submitted my application on Dec. 26, I think the deadline was the 28th? Gradcafe shows 5 other acceptances today.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 pm

et wrote:I will once I hear from my first choice. They didn't require GRE scores and I didn't send them, and the pool of Canadian applicants isn't that huge, so I'd rather just be paranoid for now and avoid any chance of being identified.
How about you post the profile with just the basics for now and edit it later as you feel more comfortable? I still think it's ridiculous that people think an admission committee will stalk an applicant, match them with a profile on here, and make a decision based on that profile. Most of the stuff reserved for the applicant profile on this site is the exact same as what is provided to the admission committee. They would gain very little for the effort put into matching someone and quite honestly I doubt they have the time to do so. Heck, but if you post obnoxious stuff like I do on here all the time maybe you should be worried!

-Riley

negru

Post by negru » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:56 pm

More people read the internet than you'd think, Riley. I posted a comment on a blog with a minimal amount of info about myself, some grad students at my school were randomly reading that, told a prof thinking it was funny, and the prof recognized it was me. Luckily he was on my side of the argument, but if he weren't things might have gone bad.

Of course this is only an issue if you post random crap on sensitive topics like I do. People in academia don't really like differing opinions.

And similar stuff happened when I posted my profile on collegeconfidential :D. In any case I'll be adding mine when I hear from a couple schools or so.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:04 pm

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Aw no worries Riley, as long as people post eventually it will benefit future classes just as much. If they want to wait until April, then fine... but just don't forget! :D

I can understand some people being hesitant... I was hesitant back in 08, but that was mainly because there were hypersensitive people on the forum who were set off by practically anything I said. (Twistor and RG could sympathize... haha there was even a poll made about who the users hated most). I figured if hypersensitive people exist on a "modern" place like this forum, they could certainly be on committees.

And you never know when there could be profs lurking around.

But honestly, I don't think anybody in this year's class should feel paranoid about being identified because nobody has written anything objectionable or controversial on here in a long time. (Though that's not a compliment... we need people to say crazy things once in a while to spice things up.)

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:57 pm

vesperlynd wrote:Riley, professors from three schools have Googled my name and visited my website so far. Professors definitely check up on applicants. However, I agree that posting a profile on here doesn't give them any more info than they already have.

et, congrats!
Well, searching for someone by their real life name and coming to a forum and trying to match a profile to someone are completely different things. Now if our real names were listed here, there might be some fear of them looking at a profile. However, I think them going through the profiles here to find out things they already know might be a little over the top. Anyways, I'm still shocked by the amount of stuff people want to hide about themselves! Heck, I'm sure I am one of the easier applicants to identify on this forum and my username on here is linked to my real name and everything else I do. Am I worried that an admission committee might find my endless supply of acoustic covers on YouTube? No. Am I worried that an admission committee will notice my exotic option of dress? No. Am I worried that an admission committee might find that I don't know how to properly run Battlefield BC 2? No. Am I worried that an admission committee might find the naked pictures of me on a beach in the Bahamas? Probably.

Anyways, I just want to make sure people don't come here for the posting that they've been accepted somewhere and in the end not provide the information that could help many others in the future. I just find that selfish and I'm not accusing anyone in specific of doing that. I'm just saying I'm sure there will be many people who do not post their information, even after everything is done.

-Riley

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:46 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
vesperlynd wrote:Riley, professors from three schools have Googled my name and visited my website so far. Professors definitely check up on applicants. However, I agree that posting a profile on here doesn't give them any more info than they already have.

et, congrats!
Well, searching for someone by their real life name and coming to a forum and trying to match a profile to someone are completely different things. Now if our real names were listed here, there might be some fear of them looking at a profile. However, I think them going through the profiles here to find out things they already know might be a little over the top. Anyways, I'm still shocked by the amount of stuff people want to hide about themselves! Heck, I'm sure I am one of the easier applicants to identify on this forum and my username on here is linked to my real name and everything else I do. Am I worried that an admission committee might find my endless supply of acoustic covers on YouTube? No. Am I worried that an admission committee will notice my exotic option of dress? No. Am I worried that an admission committee might find that I don't know how to properly run Battlefield BC 2? No. Am I worried that an admission committee might find the naked pictures of me on a beach in the Bahamas? Probably.

Anyways, I just want to make sure people don't come here for the posting that they've been accepted somewhere and in the end not provide the information that could help many others in the future. I just find that selfish and I'm not accusing anyone in specific of doing that. I'm just saying I'm sure there will be many people who do not post their information, even after everything is done.

-Riley
Is everyone else like you? No.

I understand what you're trying to say here, but these decisions literally decide the complete future of the people here. I think most would rather be safe than sorry.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:04 am

fandangoya wrote:I understand what you're trying to say here, but these decisions literally decide the complete future of the people here. I think most would rather be safe than sorry.
They decide whether people get to attend the highest of highest schools where they can continuously build their appearance while hiding the true person underneath!

-Riley

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:10 am

Riley is right. It is hard for me to imagine that an admissions person would hold a comment on this forum against someone. Yes, I have occasionally recognized a profile, but so? As faculty, we often hear information that we compartmentalize and don't use. It is useful for me to see what our competition is and what people generally think, but I'd never use that against someone in any way.

Once, I recall seeing someone list us explicitly as a "safety" school, and they'd just been accepted to a school much higher on their list (at the time we were about to make offers). Thus I knew they wouldn't accept us. So? We accepted them anyway, invited them to campus, etc. Nothing changed. (I'd like to report that the visit changed their mind, but it didn't).

The only exception to the above rule that I've noticed in the past four years is Riley. If I recognized his profile and he applied to my place, I'd definitely be MORE likely to accept him.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:44 am

admissionprof wrote: The only exception to the above rule that I've noticed in the past four years is Riley. If I recognized his profile and he applied to my place, I'd definitely be MORE likely to accept him.
The ONLY exception?? No love for the rest of us? Personally, I'll take my passing over as an indication that I'm guaranteed admission (since you can't be more likely to accept someone you're 100% likely to accept)....

I kid, I kid

et

Post by et » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Of course Riley is right, but that's not the point. There was never any argument from me (or, I assume, the others in my situation) that it was at all likely that admissions people would end up here and link my profile to my application. But, since the only 'con' of waiting is that I might be run over by a car before I get a chance to post my profile, I still prefer to wait. Does that make me paranoid? Yes, of course, I've already admitted that! Telling me it's paranoid isn't going to change my stance.

As I said, I didn't send GRE scores to my first choice school (in Canada). A lot of Canadian undergrads decide to stay up North and don't bother with the GRE or any US applications, and I want the school to think I'm part of that group, because I think my pGRE score brings down the overall quality of my application.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:57 am

Got a fat envelope from U of Wash, Seattle. I was in fact looking up a phone number to call to withdraw my application when the letter arrives :shock:

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:17 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:Got a fat envelope from U of Wash, Seattle. I was in fact looking up a phone number to call to withdraw my application when the letter arrives :shock:
Grr! You can't withdraw from them. You must get accepted to at least half of the programs so I can get my cash money.

-Riley

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
fandangoya wrote:I understand what you're trying to say here, but these decisions literally decide the complete future of the people here. I think most would rather be safe than sorry.
They decide whether people get to attend the highest of highest schools where they can continuously build their appearance while hiding the true person underneath!

-Riley
I really have no idea what you are trying to say here. Because I am simply waiting to post my profile (yes, waiting, not refusing), I'm hiding my "true person" underneath? Where the hell are you getting that from? I'd really like to know.

And my stance is just that of et. I know the chances of an AdCom recognizing my profile and it affecting my application is absolutely ridiculously low. But does it still exist? Yes. You cannot deny that. And do I gain a single thing from posting my profile now than 2 weeks from now? No. There is literally not one single small advantage to posting now than later. So why take the risk?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:41 pm

fandangoya wrote:I really have no idea what you are trying to say here. Because I am simply waiting to post my profile (yes, waiting, not refusing), I'm hiding my "true person" underneath? Where the hell are you getting that from? I'd really like to know.
quizivex wrote:I can understand some people being hesitant... I was hesitant back in 08, but that was mainly because there were hypersensitive people on the forum who were set off by practically anything I said.

negru

Post by negru » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:48 pm

quizivex wrote:I can understand some people being hesitant... I was hesitant back in 08, but that was mainly because there were hypersensitive people on the forum who were set off by practically anything I said.
Just like there are now, btw :)