2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

grae313

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:43 pm

entanglement wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone received an official acceptance MAIL from Yale? If so, I was wondering how the financial package is!
Check previous year's profiles threads. There are only small changes year to year. I know I posted the financial offer from Yale on the first page of the '08 thread and I'm sure some more recent acceptances have as well.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:11 pm

axiomofchoice wrote: @Riley: who are "they"?

giga17

Post by giga17 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Seems like there was a quite a big second wave of acceptances for MIT from gradcafe. Anyone knows if there will be one more wave?

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:50 pm

giga17 wrote:Seems like there was a quite a big second wave of acceptances for MIT from gradcafe. Anyone knows if there will be one more wave?
I haven't looked through the past acceptances to see when and how many waves MIT sends out, which I suppose is the way we should approach it, but since it is still very early, I'd be willing the bet that they are still just sending out acceptances to those they are sure of and there will most likely be at least one more wave of the unsure acceptances/wait-listed people.

tut tut

Post by tut tut » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:01 am

I have been invited to a "visit" at Caltech. Apparently this is not a requirement for admission, but it's strongly encouraged, and they haven't made their offers yet. Should I expect to be interviewed??

drunkscientist

Post by drunkscientist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:32 am

That probably means that they are interested in your application and want to see whether you like their research. Professors in general like to talk about their research quite a lot. How were you contacted ?

blacksl

Post by blacksl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 am

I got selected onto the University of Nebraska Lincoln .... :D
Happy about that....

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 am

blacksl wrote:I got selected onto the University of Nebraska Lincoln .... :D
Happy about that....
I see you also have Iowa State on your application list. Let me know if you need any opinions about Nebraska or Iowa State as I've visited both places and live fairly close to both of them as well.

-Riley

tapauly

Post by tapauly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 am

The great WhoaNonstop has visited my campus? And I didn't know. :/

They do love their CMP here...

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:26 pm

~~~~~ Please Post Your Profiles ~~~~~
There are lots of people watching these forums, and (relatively) very few with posted profiles.

As others have already said, it would really help if you also posted your own profiles---even if you are somewhat vague (to remain anonymous).
If you look at the "Results" summary table, you'll see a huge selection bias to the highest PGRE scores and GPAs; better sampling would be very helpful to the effectiveness of the data.

Good luck!

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:08 pm

zhermes wrote:~~~~~ Please Post Your Profiles ~~~~~
There are lots of people watching these forums, and (relatively) very few with posted profiles.

As others have already said, it would really help if you also posted your own profiles---even if you are somewhat vague (to remain anonymous).
If you look at the "Results" summary table, you'll see a huge selection bias to the highest PGRE scores and GPAs; better sampling would be very helpful to the effectiveness of the data.

Good luck!
I don't know if anyone has noticed the strong correlation between the admission waves and the addition of new posts in profile thread. Also given the number of profiles that are posted with one acceptance, I think it is safe to assume that many people want to have at least one acceptance before they post their profile. I think this is totally understandable, but it brings bias to the profile pool on this forum. Simply put, most of those who didn't get into anywhere will not appear in the data set.

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:14 pm

cryingsun wrote: I don't know if anyone has noticed the strong correlation between the admission waves and the addition of new posts in profile thread. Also given the number of profiles that are posted with one acceptance, I think it is safe to assume that many people want to have at least one acceptance before they post their profile. I think this is totally understandable, but it brings bias to the profile pool on this forum. Simply put, most of those who didn't get into anywhere will not appear in the data set.
I think you're totally right, it doesn't really make sense to me however---it may be easy to match a profile with an applicant if they include detailed, thorough, exact information (etc). If they only include basic information (i.e. scores and years research) and round their GPA, there's no chance they could be identified....

vttd

Post by vttd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Speaking as someone who got rejected from all schools last year, it's embarrassing to have your profile up with no acceptances. It not simply about being identified, it's also a pride factor. That being said, I posted my profile last year with my rejections, and will post my profile again soon now that I have acceptances.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:34 pm

zhermes wrote: I think you're totally right, it doesn't really make sense to me however---it may be easy to match a profile with an applicant if they include detailed, thorough, exact information (etc). If they only include basic information (i.e. scores and years research) and round their GPA, there's no chance they could be identified....
And I can't figure out why people are so scared they'll get matched up. There's nothing on this profile that schools don't know, just more detail (and isn't detail good)? If someone is going to take the time to look me up, they're only going to find out information here about me that I either (1) did include, or (2) would have included if there were space in my SoP.

The only thing I can see people not wanting to share are the schools they applied to, in case some of their safeties don't bother offering admission (assuming they're going to the Harvards and CalTechs on their school list). But I think that idea is fairly bunk; if you applied, the thought is you'd want to go; if they thought you'd say no, they'd still accept you and just accept someone else as well if they thought the chance of you accepting their appointment sufficiently low.

In terms of pride, to those of you who are holding back because of this: if you do post your profile, even with no acceptances, you've just shared your information with the largest, most helpful, and (mostly) non-judgmental resource for Physics grad school decisions. I can't think of any easier way to boost your chances for the next season, or find out more information about appropriate and effective ways to spend the year you're spending not in your PhD program.

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:37 pm

Heard from Rochester Optics....accepted into MS program but not PhD :(

On the other hand, accepted into Applied Physics PhD program at UMBC :mrgreen:

Captain_Slow

Post by Captain_Slow » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm

got into Rice Physics!!!! ~27k offer

RabiFlops

Post by RabiFlops » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Got into UCSB! I guess checking my status twice daily for a week finally paid off.

Alice

Post by Alice » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:34 pm

RabiFlops wrote:Got into UCSB! I guess checking my status twice daily for a week finally paid off.
Same here! I didn't see any funding details on the acceptance webpage, though. Did you?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 pm

It takes UCSB a while after the initial acceptances to work out funding.

astrok

Post by astrok » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Accepted by UCLA astronomy! (via email)

blacksl

Post by blacksl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:08 pm

I see you also have Iowa State on your application list. Let me know if you need any opinions about Nebraska or Iowa State as I've visited both places and live fairly close to both of them as well.

-Riley
Thanks Riley,
of course I would like to know the about Iowa state and UNL. My main interest is experimental material physics. so I would like to know the strength of the universities about that field and overall pros and cons.

P.S
Still I'm waiting for Iowa state and Tennessee.

Alice

Post by Alice » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:28 pm

grae313 wrote:It takes UCSB a while after the initial acceptances to work out funding.
Ah, I see. Thanks!

kacsa8

Post by kacsa8 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:50 pm

fandangoya wrote:Heard from Rochester Optics....accepted into MS program but not PhD :(
For those of us waiting to hear from that program, did the notification come by e-mail or snail mail? Congrats on Rochester and UMBC, btw

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:06 pm

blacksl wrote:

-Riley
Thanks Riley,
of course I would like to know the about Iowa state and UNL. My main interest is experimental material physics. so I would like to know the strength of the universities about that field and overall pros and cons.

P.S
Still I'm waiting for Iowa state and Tennessee.
I'll give you the details that I know of once you've been accepted to both programs.

-Riley

SPat

Post by SPat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Got into Cornell after Skype interview (but the grad coordinator wrote a long email about how I should improve my english speaking)

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:29 pm

SPat wrote:Got into Cornell after Skype interview (but the grad coordinator wrote a long email about how I should improve my english speaking)
To help push you in the right direction, you should note that the proper way of saying that sentence would be

"The grad coordinator done did wrote a long email 'bout how I is suppose ta talks english more better"

Congrats on your Cornell acceptance.

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 pm

kacsa8 wrote:
fandangoya wrote:Heard from Rochester Optics....accepted into MS program but not PhD :(
For those of us waiting to hear from that program, did the notification come by e-mail or snail mail? Congrats on Rochester and UMBC, btw
It came via e-mail. Thanks and good luck!

pymtab

Post by pymtab » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:11 am

SPat wrote:Got into Cornell after Skype interview (but the grad coordinator wrote a long email about how I should improve my english speaking)
If you don't mind telling, what score did you get on the speaking section of the TOEFL ibt?

SPat

Post by SPat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:59 am

pymtab wrote: If you don't mind telling, what score did you get on the speaking section of the TOEFL ibt?

I don't understand really, english is the only mode of communication at my undergrad university, I've previously given talks/seminars in english and I watch south park :)
I thougt that's more than enough evidence of language proficiency...

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:33 am

SPat wrote:
pymtab wrote: If you don't mind telling, what score did you get on the speaking section of the TOEFL ibt?

I don't understand really, english is the only mode of communication at my undergrad university, I've previously given talks/seminars in english and I watch south park :)
Well, did you remember to include your South Park viewing in your SOP or additional credentials section of application?

pymtab

Post by pymtab » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:08 am

SPat wrote:

I got a somewhat higher score than you did, but I could see a how good English speaker may fail on that section. The people who are answering the same questions all around you are more than just annoying. Actually, on the IELTS speaking section, I got a perfect 9 on my speaking, and the interviewer told me that I have "beautiful English", but on the TOEFL I got significantly less than a perfect score.

michael

Post by michael » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Congrats on your offer!

Maybe your accent made it difficult for them to understand you clearly. This can happen with people who have pretty much perfect english, but grow up in places where english is spoken commonly, but with a distinct accent which is unfamiliar to most people in the US (India would be a prime example, but also people in some parts of Ireland and Scotland have the same issue) - where are you from?

If you think this may be the case, I suggest trying to mimic the american accent as much as possible, and to try to speak more slowly than you would at home. The aim is really just to be understood - you will get a feel for what works for you when you are in the US.

kacsa8

Post by kacsa8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:30 pm

UCF Optics via email today...

BrianFantana

Post by BrianFantana » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Got into Harvard Applied Physics today! Woo hoo!

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 pm

entanglement wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone received an official acceptance MAIL from Yale? If so, I was wondering how the financial package is!
I did! (but I bet you did by now as well). Mine said $29550...
Does anyone know, what do they mean by "a combination of University and teaching fellowships"? Are teaching fellowships any different from teaching assistanships?

ryan6

Post by ryan6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:58 pm

I made a big mistake on my apps. I listed all of the schools I was applying to...even on my safeties' app :oops: which is tragic because there are a few "lower ranked" departments that I would choose over my higher ones if I were accepted to both. But now, they will think that I would rather go somewhere else :(

This may be me being paranoid, or trying to make excuses for not receiving acceptances, but I just had to vent.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 pm

ryan6 wrote:I made a big mistake on my apps. I listed all of the schools I was applying to...even on my safeties' app :oops: which is tragic because there are a few "lower ranked" departments that I would choose over my higher ones if I were accepted to both. But now, they will think that I would rather go somewhere else :(

This may be me being paranoid, or trying to make excuses for not receiving acceptances, but I just had to vent.
How will the "lower ranked" departments KNOW you're going to get accepted to a higher one?

-Riley

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
ryan6 wrote:I made a big mistake on my apps. I listed all of the schools I was applying to...even on my safeties' app :oops: which is tragic because there are a few "lower ranked" departments that I would choose over my higher ones if I were accepted to both. But now, they will think that I would rather go somewhere else :(

How will the "lower ranked" departments KNOW you're going to get accepted to a higher one?

-Riley
I agree with Riley. Actually some of my schools even asked me to tell them what other schools I was applying to on the application/during the interview. And the "lower ranked" schools accepted me regardless.

guthria

Post by guthria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:31 am

Haven't heard back from anyone yet... I know I am an international, and that may be the reason... But I hate this wait!

* screams shouts and hops about *

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 am

kubikat wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley
I agree with Riley. Actually some of my schools even asked me to tell them what other schools I was applying to on the application/during the interview. And the "lower ranked" schools accepted me regardless.
It probably does not matter for grad school, but apparently for postdoc application (in which a school is accepting perhaps only one person), the "middle" person might be disadvantaged. So say there are school A which is better (pick your favorite way to evaluate) than school B, and candidates X, Y, Z such that X > Y > Z in terms of desirability. Y might falls into the crack if school A picks X right away, and school B, thinking that Y is such a good candidate they would lose get he/she to school A, picks Z to be safe, even though they would have accepted Y if they know that he/she is definitely going to accept them. Then Y ends up being not accepted to anywhere, even though he/she is clearly qualified for and wanted by at least school B.

ryan6

Post by ryan6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:46 am

I agree: lower ranked schools do not know whether the high ranked school will accept an applicant. But, as axiomofchoice points out, the grad school may still opt for who they believe to be the safer student. Plus, grad schools want to be an applicant's top choice, even if that means a slightly less qualified applicant.

entanglement

Post by entanglement » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:58 am

kubikat wrote:
I did! (but I bet you did by now as well). Mine said $29550...
Does anyone know, what do they mean by "a combination of University and teaching fellowships"? Are teaching fellowships any different from teaching assistanships?
Thanks Kubikat,
I haven't received mine YET. May be coz I am in west coast and it is still on the way.
BTW is that $29550 per year or for 9 months?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 am

ryan6 wrote:I agree: lower ranked schools do not know whether the high ranked school will accept an applicant. But, as axiomofchoice points out, the grad school may still opt for who they believe to be the safer student. Plus, grad schools want to be an applicant's top choice, even if that means a slightly less qualified applicant.
I'm sorry, but admission committees have a lot of other things to look at before they line themselves up against other schools. Considering it is still fairly early in the decision process, I was going to take a look at the list of schools you applied to in order to judge how paranoid you are being. However, after I realized you had not posted your profile, I decided I'd make a mean face at you. :evil:

-Riley

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:07 am

I would say it is you being paranoid here. It is a perfectly reasonable strategy to distribute your applications across a range of schools. Ranking is not likely to be the most important factor in their decision when compared to how well you fit in to their program.

sphy

Chat Online

Post by sphy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:37 am

Dear Mates,
Please help me about some thing I got in via my email id.
What's the purpose of this email? Is it for admission purpose or something different? Please guide me.
It reads something like this:
Dear X:

You are invited to chat online with University of Iowa staff on Tuesday, February 15.

Scott King and Rebecca Hanson will host online chats from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. to 12 noon (Central time).

* Scott is Assistant Dean of International Programs and Director of the Office of International Students and Scholars at The University of Iowa.
* Rebecca is Assistant Director of International Admissions and is well versed in the international student admission process at Iowa.

They'll be happy to answer your questions about Iowa's academic programs, admission requirements, and the application process.

If you can't attend the online chat, visit our international admissions web site anytime.

Sincerely,

The University of Iowa
Office of Admissions

The University of Iowa offers more than 100 areas of study on a vibrant and diverse campus with more than 30,000 students in Iowa City, Iowa. The campus is home of the Iowa Hawkeyes, the Iowa Writers' Workshop, the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, and nearly 500 student clubs and organizations.

http://www.uiowa.edu/admissions/2008-em ... spacer.gif

http://www.uiowa.edu/admissions/2008-em ... jpgContact UsThe University of Iowa

satyad18

Re: Chat Online

Post by satyad18 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 am

Even I got the same mail a week back. But as I'm not applying to Iowa, I didn't give much attention. Sorry, can't be of more help here.

sphy

Post by sphy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:15 am

guthria wrote:Haven't heard back from anyone yet... I know I am an international, and that may be the reason... But I hate this wait!

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:17 am

guthria wrote:Haven't heard back from anyone yet... I know I am an international, and that may be the reason... But I hate this wait!

]
ditto

ashowmega

Post by ashowmega » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:46 am

got accepted to UMass-Amherst. Will update my profile later.

Goran15

Post by Goran15 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:19 am

satyad18 wrote:

]
ditto
I look at it like this - at least no one rejected me yet :D