2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

kubikat

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by kubikat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:59 am

xbomber88 wrote:For those of you who got into Yale did you hear by e-mail or postal mail? Just wondering because I don't have access to my postal mail until Monday and I'm kind of surprised and worried that I haven't heard from Yale. Also how do you check on the website? I went to check my status on the website and I can't find anywhere where it says anything about accepted or rejected or anything.
It was by email.
If the decision has been made in your case you should be able to see it on your Apply Online page in the very bottom.

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:04 am

Anybody hear anything about CalTech decisions?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:39 am

HappyQuark wrote:Cornell has been playing hard to get with me as well.
I'm not sure Cornell can handle both of us at once.

-Riley

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:02 am

I didn't apply to Cornell because I knew they couldn't handle me 8)

tapauly

Post by tapauly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:08 am

zhermes wrote:Anybody hear anything about CalTech decisions?
If you applied to the Astronomy program, I have heard a friend of a friend has been offered admission, but haven't seen much else on gradcafe. I have yet to hear from them as well...

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:15 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:Cornell has been playing hard to get with me as well.
I'm not sure Cornell can handle both of us at once.

-Riley
That very well could be true but they don't have much of a choice. Originally my SOP stated why I would be a successful researcher and then I came to my senses and just filled it with threats. I'm pretty sure they will have no choice but to accept me based on this and with the epic photos you've sent them, they can't turn you down either. We'll probably have to work out a schedule that ensures we aren't on campus at the same time or Ithaca will go nuclear with pure unadulterated awesomeness. On second thought, that doesn't sound like such a bad thing.

ekuphysics

Post by ekuphysics » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 am

Accepted to Ohio State on Friday. Extremely relieved that the first one I heard back from was good news. TA position offered, and paid visit. Just great to be in somewhere. My only hesitation to now withdrawing other applications is the possibility of a fellowship elsewhere, so for now we'll hold out.
Last edited by ekuphysics on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goran15

Post by Goran15 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:38 pm

ekuphysics wrote:Accepted to Ohio State on Friday. Extremely relieved that the first one I heard back from was good news. TA position offered, and paid visit. Just great to be in someone. My only hesitation to now withdrawing other applications is the possibility of a fellowship elsewhere, so for now we'll hold out.
not sure to tell you good luck or get the hell out of there :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/0 ... 19268.html

sunkist7

Post by sunkist7 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey there,

I know biophysics is a minority on this thread, but if there are any current grad students on this thread in biophysics I would much appreciate some advice (my profile is the most recent one on the 2011 results thread). MIT was the only pure physics department I applied to, but people keep telling me it would be better to be in a physics department than in an integrated life sciences program. Plus, MIT has 2 five hour qualifying exams plus an oral exam, and I just learned that Alexander van Oudenaarden is leaving in a year and a half to go back to the Netherlands. My other top choices are the biophysics programs at Harvard, Stanford, and Berkeley. I am quite uncertain how I am going to make this decision............

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 pm

ekuphysics wrote:Accepted to Ohio State on Friday. Extremely relieved that the first one I heard back from was good news. TA position offered, and paid visit. Just great to be in someone. My only hesitation to now withdrawing other applications is the possibility of a fellowship elsewhere, so for now we'll hold out.
Freudian slip?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:05 pm

HappyQuark wrote: We'll probably have to work out a schedule that ensures we aren't on campus at the same time or Ithaca will go nuclear with pure unadulterated awesomeness.
Ummm... I believe it's spelled "nucular." Please check yourself before you wreck yourself.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm

sunkist7 wrote:Hey there,

I know biophysics is a minority on this thread, but if there are any current grad students on this thread in biophysics I would much appreciate some advice (my profile is the most recent one on the 2011 results thread). MIT was the only pure physics department I applied to, but people keep telling me it would be better to be in a physics department than in an integrated life sciences program. Plus, MIT has 2 five hour qualifying exams plus an oral exam, and I just learned that Alexander van Oudenaarden is leaving in a year and a half to go back to the Netherlands. My other top choices are the biophysics programs at Harvard, Stanford, and Berkeley. I am quite uncertain how I am going to make this decision............
I'm in a single molecule biophysics lab in the Cornell physics department (there's only one). If you're interested in single molecule then out of the places you are accepted you should try to work with Block at Stanford or Bustamante at Berkeley. I think doing biology out of a physics department gives you a unique and very valuable perspective that can help you stand out in industry if that's your ultimate aim, but it sounds like Berkeley, Harvard, and Stanford are all better options for you than MIT physics.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:30 pm

grae313 wrote:
HappyQuark wrote: We'll probably have to work out a schedule that ensures we aren't on campus at the same time or Ithaca will go nuclear with pure unadulterated awesomeness.
Ummm... I believe it's spelled "nucular." Please check yourself before you wreck yourself.
True dat

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:26 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
Freudian slip?
Why would you withdraw so quickly? Unless you could get into someone else.

-Riley

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:05 pm

vesperlynd wrote:
zhermes wrote:Anybody hear anything about CalTech decisions?
As far as I can tell, Caltech astro has notified most if not all accepted/waitlisted applicants. The same thing for Harvard astro. You and I applied for astro, but in the physics department. Haven't heard anything from the physics department yet.
I actually applied to caltech for physics (focus in astrophysics), so hopefully I still have a some chance :\
I did apply to harvard astro tho, no word...

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:40 pm

vesperlynd wrote: @zhermes (and axiomofchoice): First off, thanks for the congrats. I really applied to MIT as a reach, thinking that if I got accepted I'd get an RA. I was definitely not expecting a fellowship.
According to http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/gradsc ... sp?rec=122, most (40 out of 44) of the incoming grad students are supported by fellowship :shock: I'd be interested to see other admission emails/letters from MIT without the "prestigious awards"...

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:45 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
Freudian slip?
I don't think personifying grad school is particularly uncommon:
… grad school was a fickle mistress, forcing me to define words like “mimesis” and “narrativity” (which is not a word, by the way, grad school), taking away my snack crackers, and tempting me towards the world of (legal) addictive amphetamines.
(http://postacademic.org/2010/03/09/a-bl ... relate-to/)

Of course only incredibly twisted or incredibly awesome minds would wander so much into the Freudian domain...

ekuphysics

Post by ekuphysics » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Whoops! Definitely didn't mean it like that. I'm engaged, so I'm not worried about getting in someone else.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:40 pm

ekuphysics wrote:
Whoops! Definitely didn't mean it like that. I'm engaged, so I'm not worried about getting in someone else.
Hey, we aren't the ones that you should be trying to convince. Your scholastic infidelities are none of our concern. Just make sure you will always practice safe admissions. The last thing this world needs is another unwanted university founded out of wedlock (I'm looking at you Montana State).

SPat

Post by SPat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Got mail from Cornell requesting "language interview" via Skype. Anyone knows what these kind of interviews are like?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:54 pm

SPat wrote:Got mail from Cornell requesting "language interview" via Skype. Anyone knows what these kind of interviews are like?
Speak in any language except English to win a prize!

Nah, I've noticed a lot of Skype interviews for international students. I think they just want to test your English proficiency.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:05 pm

SPat wrote:Got mail from Cornell requesting "language interview" via Skype. Anyone knows what these kind of interviews are like?

Just talk (fluently) about apple pie and the superbowl

et

Post by et » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Informal acceptance at McGill last week, and the same from UWashington today. I'm an international (Canadian) applicant if that makes this any more interesting. I'll post a profile once I hear back from my top choices.

bck2school

Post by bck2school » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:53 pm

et wrote:Informal acceptance at McGill last week, and the same from UWashington today. I'm an international (Canadian) applicant if that makes this any more interesting. I'll post a profile once I hear back from my top choices.
Phys or Astro @ U Washington ??

et

Post by et » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Physics.

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Got an E-mail from Berkeley asking for official transcript.

kacsa8

Post by kacsa8 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:49 pm

I doubt there are too many people waiting anxiously to hear about this program, but I got a "congrats" from University of Arizona's optics PhD program today...

SSM

Post by SSM » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Me too.

ticklecricket

Post by ticklecricket » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:18 pm

kacsa8 wrote:I doubt there are too many people waiting anxiously to hear about this program, but I got a "congrats" from University of Arizona's optics PhD program today...
I hadn't heard back from anyone yet, so I was pretty anxious to hear from anyone.

It's as if a huge weight has been lifted!

SPat

Post by SPat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm

bfollinprm wrote: Just talk (fluently) about apple pie and the superbowl
*looking up wikipedia article on Super Bowl*

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:03 pm

vesperlynd wrote:
zhermes wrote:Got an E-mail from Berkeley asking for official transcript.
I did as well.
Does asking for official transcript imply an admission?

hamadahoda007

Post by hamadahoda007 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:18 pm

cryingsun wrote:
vesperlynd wrote:
zhermes wrote:Got an E-mail from Berkeley asking for official transcript.
I did as well.
Does asking for official transcript imply an admission?
I think the answer is yes since both added to their profiles that they are "unofficially" accepted at UC Berkeley :D Congratulations

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 pm

hamadahoda007 wrote:
cryingsun wrote: Does asking for official transcript imply an admission?
I think the answer is yes since both added to their profiles that they are "unofficially" accepted at UC Berkeley :D Congratulations
I got an email randomly from a POI I got in touch with weeks ago, so I say they just got to looking at applications today. First round of acceptances over the next 3 days is my guess off of last years grad cafe.

giga17

Post by giga17 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:25 pm

A lot of congratulations all round! To everyone who's still waiting, hang tough!

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 am

Declined Lehigh and Vandy today. I don't think too many people will care on this forum though :roll:
Also I keep on beating myself up about not applying to any better schools. Gahh.
Congrats to all who got accepted into top 10!
(and to the rest of us) :wink:

zhermes

Post by zhermes » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27 am

bfollinprm wrote:
hamadahoda007 wrote:
cryingsun wrote: Does asking for official transcript imply an admission?
I got an email randomly from a POI I got in touch with weeks ago, so I say they just got to looking at applications today. First round of acceptances over the next 3 days is my guess off of last years grad cafe.
Their policy is to examine unofficial transcripts for the general admissions process. Once they're ready to accept, they ask for an official copy to be sent in before they give a final, official acceptance.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:09 pm

I was accepted to College of William and Mary by phone yesterday. It appears that I would have a research assistant position instead of a teaching assistant position, which is very cool (There is someone there who works on something I've specifically done research on in the past and am deeply interested in). Although I am not sure about this, I will know soon once I get the official acceptance later today or tomorrow. Once I get this I'll be able to cross off a couple schools.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:29 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:I was accepted to College of William and Mary by phone yesterday. It appears that I would have a research assistant position instead of a teaching assistant position, which is very cool (There is someone there who works on something I've specifically done research on in the past and am deeply interested in). Although I am not sure about this, I will know soon once I get the official acceptance later today or tomorrow. Once I get this I'll be able to cross off a couple schools.

-Riley
Have you been to Williamsburg before? Just a warning: In my opinion not the best place in the world to be a student. The music scene is limited, and there's little culture in Norfolk. Richmond's ok, and about an hour away, but most of the culture is centered around rich southern suburbanites, and other than the Canal Club, not a lot of good places to hang out. The beach doesn't feel as close as it seems at first.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:50 pm

bfollinprm wrote:Have you been to Williamsburg before? Just a warning: In my opinion not the best place in the world to be a student. The music scene is limited, and there's little culture in Norfolk. Richmond's ok, and about an hour away, but most of the culture is centered around rich southern suburbanites, and other than the Canal Club, not a lot of good places to hang out. The beach doesn't feel as close as it seems at first.
Have you been anywhere in Nebraska before? Just a warning: In my opinion definitely one of the worst places in the world to be a student. The music scene is nonexistent (not even limited) and there's no culture. Closest "interesting" place to go is about three hours away. There are plenty of places to hang out, all associated with drinking, which I do not partake in. Also, there is no beach, as you might have guessed.

As you can see, too many people complain about places when they really have it pretty good. I have read plenty of reviews about Williamsburg on studentsreview.com and I find a huge line drawn between the negative and positive comments about the school. Everyone on the negative side mentions how the students are "depressed" because there is no "social life". However, I'm afraid their opinion of social life seems to be centered around the amount of "parties containing alcohol and nearby bars". It appears there are a lot of complaints about the administration of W&M putting their foot down on this issue as "all of the fraternities beer pong tables were taken down". Fortunately, I am not interested in this aspect of a school and this actually rings as a positive for me. PrincetonReview.com gives W&M #11 on the happiest students listing and although I'm sure the way they calculated this is rather sketchy, it still shows something. Obviously they must have avoided that huge percentage of "depressed" students. Beyond the aspect of alcohol, I don't see how one could make the statement that Williamsburg will be a boring place. There is plenty of interesting history in the area, the city/town seems fairly beautiful, and Busch Gardens is right down the road. ;] However, if you've been in the area I'd sure like to hear more about why you think this is not a good place to live.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:56 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:However, if you've been in the area I'd sure like to hear more about why you think this is not a good place to live.

-Riley

I realized coming from Nebraska you might have taken what I'm saying as super picky. I'm not saying it isn't good, just warning you before you cancel your other options that Williamsburg leaves something to be desired. It's a really small place, so what people are really saying about Williamsburg is this: "The frats got axed by the administration, there is basically nothing to do elsewhere, so the generic social scene that serviced the school is now non-existant."

That's not totally true, and Williamsburg lies on a nice highway that can take you to fun places, but like any small town it suffers from boredom issues, and unlike other universities in small towns (like Michigan, for instance) the school does little to relieve that boredom. I've never gone to a frat party in my life, and I still think the area is boring, but I also don't like amusement parks, so if you're a fan of some mid-90's roller coastering, Williamsburg is fun. Just bring a car, because you're going to feel trapped. It's suburbia with about half a square mile of antique shops and generic botiques (which is worse in a sense than a rural area, there isn't any good hiking or camping, though road biking is fairly popular). The big issue is that any big culture items (bands, touring companies, symphonies) give the area a miss, and the school does nothing to attract it.

On second thought, Norfolk did invent the ice cream cone, and has the only working military rail gun prototype, so it's not all bad in the area. Just plan on long drives on bad eastern shore roads to get to the good stuff.

EDIT: when you visit (which is really all I'm saying; wait until you go before you decide), go to Second Street Cafe for lunch. Best burger in town, and great desserts. They'll try to take you to one of the campus delis/pubs, and its the same boring ameripasta every university has.
Last edited by bfollinprm on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Got the "congrats" letter from Cornell today. TA + Small fellowship.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:38 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:Got the "congrats" letter from Cornell today. TA + Small fellowship.
Physics or Applied?

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

entanglement

Post by entanglement » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:44 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone received an official acceptance MAIL from Yale? If so, I was wondering how the financial package is!

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:51 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
axiomofchoice wrote:Got the "congrats" letter from Cornell today. TA + Small fellowship.
Physics or Applied?
My guess is physics, since they are doing HEP. =]

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:16 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:
Physics or Applied?

-Riley
It coulda been applied HEP. You don't know!
:mrgreen:

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:55 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:
HappyQuark wrote: Physics or Applied?

-Riley
It coulda been applied HEP. You don't know!
:mrgreen:
You mean mom and pap making mini blackholes in their backyard? :?

@Riley: who are "they"?

@vesperlynd: thanks :wink:, congrats to your Berkeley acceptance too. I'm dying to hear from any of the Cali schools.

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:57 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:I'm dying to hear from any of the Cali schools.
Same here :shock: