scholarship/fellowships

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

skk

scholarship/fellowships

Post by skk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:19 am

Hello everyone,

Can I please ask a question about outside scholarship/fellowships? Would it hurt one's application if he/she did not apply for any and left blank the part of the application regarding scholarships/fellowships applied or received?

Thank you.

bfollinprm

Re: scholarship/fellowships

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 am

Admissionprof should answer this question, but my personal opinion is I doubt it. I think that category is there to let the admissions office know to contact the fellowship provider to inquire as to the status of your fellowship.

That said, why not apply? Most (if not all) are free, and it's good practice for SoP writing. I'll admit I have an ulterior motive: the NSF fellowship in particular divvies up its offers by discipline based on the number of applicants in the discipline. Having every prospective physics PhD fill out the form would increase the total number of awards given in Physics.

EDIT: Of course, if the question was "Does putting something in this category help your application?" I would answer yes, provided you get an award. Bringing your own money is the best way to get into a great school.

admissionprof

Re: scholarship/fellowships

Post by admissionprof » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:11 am

bfollinprm wrote:Admissionprof should answer this question, but my personal opinion is I doubt it. I think that category is there to let the admissions office know to contact the fellowship provider to inquire as to the status of your fellowship.

That said, why not apply? Most (if not all) are free, and it's good practice for SoP writing. I'll admit I have an ulterior motive: the NSF fellowship in particular divvies up its offers by discipline based on the number of applicants in the discipline. Having every prospective physics PhD fill out the form would increase the total number of awards given in Physics.

EDIT: Of course, if the question was "Does putting something in this category help your application?" I would answer yes, provided you get an award. Bringing your own money is the best way to get into a great school.
It probably wouldn't hurt an application if it were left blank. Obviously, if you get something, then you are much more likely to get accepted, since you're a freebie. Alas, the NSF doesn't decide until it's too late, usually.