2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

grae313

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Just to lighten the anxiety level a little, let me share a video to pass the time. grae313 requested I do a cover of her current favorite artist, Kesha.

"Dear Riley: Since she is the emerging political and philosophical voice of our time, please cover a song by the great and wise Ke$ha. Thank you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMwTxMTJ6co

Enjoy.

-Riley
For me?! ... ... ... you shouldn't have! :P Seriously though, awesome.

ruthrj

Post by ruthrj » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:22 pm

You know what makes this whole waiting game worse? Phone calls and texts from every family member (even some you forgot existed) asking "Have you heard anything back from grad schools yet?" As soon as you calm down and realize you're being paranoid, the phone buzzes and you read that.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 pm

ruthrj wrote:You know what makes this whole waiting game worse? Phone calls and texts from every family member (even some you forgot existed) asking "Have you heard anything back from grad schools yet?" As soon as you calm down and realize you're being paranoid, the phone buzzes and you read that.
PM me your phone number and I'll add to the fun! ;)

-Riley

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm very surprised to have received an acceptance today from Oregon State. I felt it was rather early for the program in comparison to the last three years acceptance dates. Even though this school isn't glamorous, I can finally take a breath!

-Riley

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:I'm very surprised to have received an acceptance today from Oregon State. I felt it was rather early for the program in comparison to the last three years acceptance dates. Even though this school isn't glamorous, I can finally take a breath!

-Riley
Congratulations, Riley!

Now, as you all will hear me say repeatedly, if there is a place that you KNOW is lower on your list than Oregon State, please e-mail that place and withdraw. If you aren't sure (and OSU is probably not that high on your list), don't withdraw. It hurts your fellow students a lot when one person keeps lots of offers, even when they know that they will not attend some of them.

So, when you are accepted by Princeton, you know what to do.....

ashowmega

Post by ashowmega » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:39 pm

ruthrj wrote:You know what makes this whole waiting game worse? Phone calls and texts from every family member (even some you forgot existed) asking "Have you heard anything back from grad schools yet?" As soon as you calm down and realize you're being paranoid, the phone buzzes and you read that.
To add to it: It appears that the sister program "Chemistry" at the universities across the country have been making decision since the beginning of January. My chemistry friends are like getting in everywhere and asking me "if I heard from somehwere yet?" and all I can do is nod and say "It takes some time to make smart decisions to admit smart people." :)

BTW, congrats WhoaNonstop and thanks to admissionprof for the suggestion! :D

tapauly

Post by tapauly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 pm

So pumped! Got into Cornell, likely my top choice. I'll be sure to take the advice of admissionprof, although I almost feel guilty doing so...

PS this is Astronomy, so prospective physics grads need not fret.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:02 pm

tapauly wrote:So pumped! Got into Cornell, likely my top choice. I'll be sure to take the advice of admissionprof, although I almost feel guilty doing so...

You freaked me out for a second. I checked my email instantly, hoping to have received something from Cornell but then I read the rest of your comment... ahahaha

As far as withdrawing from schools, I hope to get a few more acceptances before I start to make these decisions, as I would like to visit around 3 places. Reason being, most of my schools were picked for completely different reasons from each other (some applied science, some materials science, some applied physics, some by location, some by school size) but I'll gladly start killing them off as soon as I can.

-Riley

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Just recieved status update from RPI saying I have been accepted. This was from the main graduate school though, I have heard absolutely nothing from the actual physics department. Is something like that common or not?

Also the email said I was invited to start study in Spring 2011...and then said they hope I would join in the fall. A little confusing...

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:04 pm

tapauly wrote:So pumped! Got into Cornell, likely my top choice. I'll be sure to take the advice of admissionprof, although I almost feel guilty doing so...

Freaked me out for a second too. You little b**tard :)

I heard from nobody :cry: I know it's early, but...

giga17

Post by giga17 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Congrats to all who have good news so far! REALLY hope it's my turn soon.

badphysicist

Post by badphysicist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances so far.

I just got notification of my first acceptance from UC Merced. No financial information yet, they said in the letter additional information will come by email.
Last edited by badphysicist on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Duck

Post by The_Duck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Congrats to Riley, fandangoya, and badphysicist!

I hadn't realized the Cornell acceptances in the profile thread were for astronomy; feeling a little better about my chances there now.

Captain_Slow

Post by Captain_Slow » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 am

Congrats to those who already got accepted. What does the subject of the email say? I am constantly refreshing my email....hoping to hear from somewhere....

ryan6

Post by ryan6 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:38 am

I anticipated this and havent told a single member of immediate or extended family any grad info. They dont even know how I did on GREs or where I applied. I just said "dont bother, im not sharing anything until I have made something official."

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:14 am

Congrats to Riley, fandangoya, and badphysicist!

Don't know when international students will start getting offers! :roll:

ruthrj

Post by ruthrj » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:41 am

ruthrj wrote:
You know what makes this whole waiting game worse? Phone calls and texts from every family member (even some you forgot existed) asking "Have you heard anything back from grad schools yet?" As soon as you calm down and realize you're being paranoid, the phone buzzes and you read that.
-----

I anticipated this and havent told a single member of immediate or extended family any grad info. They dont even know how I did on GREs or where I applied. I just said "dont bother, im not sharing anything until I have made something official."

-----

I probably should have done that....

I just keep telling them, "If I had big news like getting accepted to grad school, don't you think I'd call you immediately, post it to my facebook status, basically let the whole world know!?!?"

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:22 am

Captain_Slow wrote:Congrats to those who already got accepted. What does the subject of the email say? I am constantly refreshing my email....hoping to hear from somewhere....
Mine were: "Recommendation for Admission to ECE at CSU" and "Your UW-Madison Electrical and Computer Engineering Application" so one gave it away in the subject line and one didn't.
Got an email from Arizona, where I've applied to two programs, which was a big tease. It just said to log in and check your status, etc. I checked immediately and nothing had changed. I honestly thought it was my first rejections.

Congrats Riley and everyone else! The flood gates are opening!

per admissionprof's recommendation, I'll be pulling the plug on a few of my applications today. Well .... maybe I'll wait until all of the funding details are worked out ... just in case.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:40 pm

t2kburl wrote:
per admissionprof's recommendation, I'll be pulling the plug on a few of my applications today. Well .... maybe I'll wait until all of the funding details are worked out ... just in case.

Absolutely. Do not withdraw from anywhere unless you have funding details worked out at a higher place. A letter giving stipend amounts is needed (or an e-mail). Don't worry about the usual "recommend to the Dean of Graduate Studies" or "subject to approval of the Dean..." disclaimers--those are for legal reasons since only Deans can give anyone money.

fandangoya

Post by fandangoya » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:38 pm

No news from anyone in 24 hours? Damn!

I hope I'm not the only one religiously checking this topic and the other for news from others :lol:

ruthrj

Post by ruthrj » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm

Right here with you buddy!

Alice

Post by Alice » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:48 pm

fandangoya wrote: I hope I'm not the only one religiously checking this topic and the other for news from others :lol:
Guilty :oops:

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:09 pm

fandangoya wrote:No news from anyone in 24 hours? Damn!

I hope I'm not the only one religiously checking this topic and the other for news from others :lol:
Guilty as charged. Well the east coast is digging from yet another storm, so maybe all the adcoms are having a break too :)

giga17

Post by giga17 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:03 pm

I have given up on January. Sigh. May the kind February bring something!

Captain_Slow

Post by Captain_Slow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Same here, I have been constantly refreshing this, gradcafe, my email, and hoping a number not on my contact list calls me. My chemistry/biology buddies have already started hearing from places, and are asking me if I have heard back from anywhere....

turgonel

Post by turgonel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Let's face it; if we haven't been contacted by now, it means we didn't get in. Look on the bright side, though; we will be the most brilliant Taco Bell employees ever!

But seriously, the way I have neurotically checked this page/gradcafe/email/junkemail/voicemail/department pages/tea leaves, I have become a friggin' basketcase. Now, if I get even ONE acceptance, I will kiss the first person I see and probably break down in tears. And fist pump, of course.

Captain_Slow

Post by Captain_Slow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:09 pm

turgonel wrote:we will be the most brilliant Taco Bell employees ever!
We wouldn't even get that job, we will be over qualified.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 pm

turgonel wrote:Let's face it; if we haven't been contacted by now, it means we didn't get in. Look on the bright side, though; we will be the most brilliant Taco Bell employees ever!

But seriously, the way I have neurotically checked this page/gradcafe/email/junkemail/voicemail/department pages/tea leaves, I have become a friggin' basketcase. Now, if I get even ONE acceptance, I will kiss the first person I see and probably break down in tears. And fist pump, of course.
When you say fist pump, are you talking Tiger Woods style or Jersey Shore?

Last edited by HappyQuark on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain_Slow

Post by Captain_Slow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 pm

This will be my celebration form:

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:35 pm

turgonel wrote:Now, if I get even ONE acceptance, I will kiss the first person I see
"Prospective graduate student's offer dismissed after violent kissing rampage."

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Captain_Slow wrote:This will be my celebration form:
I had planned on doing a celebratory dance

turgonel

Post by turgonel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:12 am

HappyQuark wrote:When you say fist pump, are you talking Tiger Woods style or Jersey Shore?
Hah! I was thinking more like Arsenio Hall.

ryan6

Post by ryan6 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 am

I hate checking this thread but am still compelled to. Im scared almost to the point of nausea that I will click into 3 or more pages of acceptances and still have an empty inbox. Just wanted to let this site know how much stress it has added to my daily routine for the past year.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:29 am

ryan6 wrote:I hate checking this thread but am still compelled to. Im scared almost to the point of nausea that I will click into 3 or more pages of acceptances and still have an empty inbox. Just wanted to let this site know how much stress it has added to my daily routine for the past year.
Yes. Oh very much yes. The thing about Physics grad school is that the financial pay-off is so low compared to other things we physics majors can do that anyone who applies desperately wants to go, so the fear of not getting in is paramount to the fear of running out of air. And I say claustrophobia is setting in.

Ok, maybe that was a tad bit of hyperbole.

modernphysics

Re: Phone acceptance

Post by modernphysics » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:51 am

WhoaNonstop wrote: I think we'll all start to relax once we each get at least one official acceptance. I mean, I do think everyone will be paranoid even when we all should be fine! The weight will be relieved once we know we have a future!

-Riley
Yeah very true, Riley !!!!!!!!!!! Any way all the best to all of you who have got the admission news and I wish the same to others. Make celebrations buddies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJSt4wP2ME.
I have still millions of Pending online LORs to be completed by my genius busy professors. Imagine my plight....
Oh God are you still there?

skcush

Post by skcush » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Accepted to UCSB Physics. Decision available via website.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:48 pm

skcush wrote:Accepted to UCSB Physics. Decision available via website.
Makes me kind of wish I applied to Santa Barbara since our profiles are somewhat similar. Oh well. =)

-Riley

badphysicist

Post by badphysicist » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Congratulations!

Kaumz

Post by Kaumz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:03 am

wow !! congrats!! :)

I have applied to UCSB too. But in my application status, the "decision available" link hasn't been activated yet. I guess this will be my first reject. :cry:

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:36 am

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Kaumz wrote:I have applied to UCSB too. But in my application status, the "decision available" link hasn't been activated yet. I guess this will be my first reject. :cry:
Mine is also not activated yet. I think that means they haven't made a decision. They say that most of their acceptances go out in late February. We'll see....

And congratulations, skcush!

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Kaumz wrote:I have applied to UCSB too. But in my application status, the "decision available" link hasn't been activated yet. I guess this will be my first reject. :cry:
That's not how it works. Check the acceptance threads from last year. Schools admit in waves. In '08 UCSB started sending out acceptances at this time but I wasn't accepted until mid February. If the last week of February passes and you haven't heard from a school you can start assuming you're more likely to be rejected, but not until then.

Kaumz

Post by Kaumz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:48 am

@ vesperlynd and grae313 : Thanks for those consoling and encouraging words. :)

@ CarlBrannen: We're in the same boat ! We just have to be patient. :wink:

rims

Post by rims » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:37 pm

grae313 wrote:If the last week of February passes and you haven't heard from a school you can start assuming you're more likely to be rejected, but not until then.
Is this also true for international students?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:29 pm

If anything I think international applicants may receive their notifications later, on average, than domestic applicants.

giga17

Post by giga17 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:32 am

The next fortnight is the East Coast schools' weeks or reckoning! Good luck everybody!

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:26 am

giga17 wrote:The next fortnight is the East Coast schools' weeks or reckoning! Good luck everybody!
And a happy fitful feb to you too!

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:54 pm

UC Berkeley writes today:
Your application is complete and you are being considered for
admission to the PhD program in physics at the University of
California at Berkeley.

We will notify applicants as they are admitted. Final decisions will be
made no later than March 15, 2011.

Thank you for your patience.

Dreaded Anomaly

Post by Dreaded Anomaly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:00 pm

I have been admitted to the University of Rochester.