required math

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

satyad18

required math

Post by satyad18 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:29 am

Having done with the application process, I was wanting to spend my free time studying the math required in understanding and mastering the 1st year courses. Because being an international student and having completed my undergrad in engineering, passing Quals will be the first hurdle I aim to cross. As TAing will leave me with not much free time, I wanted to be ready with the required mathematical tools which would make feel the courses easier to grasp, at least I won't then be needing to refer to math texts more often. So what math courses you think I should be equipped with? And please do not forget to recommend the book too. :)
I'm into theory.

WhoaNonstop

Re: required math

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:12 am

My suggestion is not in particular a class. I find the Mathematical Methods in Physics book by Boas to be very helpful in most of my courses. Not sure this will get you everything you want but it definitely is a wonderful beginning.

-Riley

razor

Post by razor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:20 am

You can also try Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken.

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:20 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:My suggestion is not in particular a class. I find the Mathematical Methods in Physics book by Boas to be very helpful in most of my courses. Not sure this will get you everything you want but it definitely is a wonderful beginning.

-Riley
Yes, I already have that book, but I don't think its giving me the right input I need. :(
razor wrote:You can also try Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken.
I happened to browse through this book at a book store yesterday. Are you sure this book is good? Because I found it to contain more of examples than much math!

Maybe you guys can help me out with the topics too while referring the book. That'd also be appreciated. Thanks anyway. :)

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Arfken and Boas are very similar. I'd stick with just one. I think in general most of these topics in here are important. Review it all. Also I'd make sure you understand mathematica and matlab.

-Riley

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Arfken and Boas are very similar. I'd stick with just one. I think in general most of these topics in here are important. Review it all. Also I'd make sure you understand mathematica and matlab.

-Riley
Thanks Riley. I think I'll just stick to Boas for now. :)