TOEFL on time

renu

TOEFL on time

Post by renu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:55 am

Hi guys,

I have been unregisteres user of this forum for many days, and thought to register today. I am bit worried.
I have mostly sent my aplications, but die to illhealth I have taken TOEFL only during end December!!! This is terrible, I feel. What if ETS takes a long time to listne to my little speeches and mark me??

I have informed my schools about this, but do you think it will affect my changes if they scores come in a bit late? (I am also worried because in my speeches I used a lots of expressions, and as though I am talking to someone not a computer. If I think now, I feel that might have not been good! Almost as though I was a theatre actor or cartoon voice!!)

Thanks to the many guys who are posting here, I find this very useful in my applications process.
And yes, a happy new year to you all.

(Do you think individually contacting departmental secretaries and wishing them a happy new year will increased my chances? :D)

renu

Re: TOEFL on time

Post by renu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:59 am

Nobody to reply me? :( :( :(

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:29 am

I think most schools expect delays when score reports from ETS are involved. If they are aware of your situation it shouldn't be a problem. I suppose that depends on the school.

Good luck to you!

renu

Post by renu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 am

Thank you, t2kburl, for replying me.

Guys, I was wondering, I have already mentioned on my statemet that I am a concert singer and have many performances. I know, this is not to do with physics, but, will it carry any weight? Since maybe, if I had done both things (physics and musci), together, it shows I am capable of more things than my toefl and gre score shows?

In my country, such things are not considered much, but maybe they are in america? is what I have heard.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Your application will, of course, be primarily weighed on your accomplishments in physics. Being accomplished in another diverse field may be looked on favorably by some committees, or who knows, perhaps others might view it as a negative, but either way it certainly won't be a large factor in the admissions decision. I'm of the opinion that unusual and impressive accomplishments such as yours are a plus on applications, but again, it won't be a huge factor.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:47 pm

renu wrote:I am a concert singer and have many performances.
I debated about informing the admission committee that I breakdance.

-Riley

renu

Post by renu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:32 am

Oh then, Riley, you can do breakdance with me singing! It will be a good comedy act, and we both can go to PhD together! :D

@grae- Thank you for your reply. I think I am very nervouse about my applications, and am just asking whatever is coming to my mind. Maybe after getting atlest one reply, I will be less worried!

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:12 pm

renu wrote:I think I am very nervouse about my applications, and am just asking whatever is coming to my mind. Maybe after getting atlest one reply, I will be less worried!
Trust me, we're all a little nervous. I can't wait for at least one reply as well. Once that happens I'll calm down a bit. =)

-Riley

renu

Post by renu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:27 am

You can do breakdance to calm down. Also post a recording of it on this site. We all can calm down! But maybe your breakdancing is not so funny.........

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:50 am

renu wrote:You can do breakdance to calm down. Also post a recording of it on this site. We all can calm down! But maybe your breakdancing is not so funny.........
Man, I'd have to go through lots of old tapes to find some breakdancing. Haven't done it consistently since 11th-12th grade.

-Riley

renu

Post by renu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:01 am

Riley, you are funny. :)