Skype interview

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

kubikat

Skype interview

Post by kubikat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:31 am

I have been contacted by one of my schools about a skype interview.
I'm not sure what it means:

a) I'm awesome and they really really want to make me an offer, which is quite unlikely considering my not-too-awesome PGRE
b) I'm in the end of the list and they just want to figure out if they need to cross me off.

Their application deadline was only a week ago for that school and it also happens to be one of my top choices :roll:

What do schools normally ask and why do they do interviews (if anyone has some feedback, would be greatly appreciated)

(I know there was a topic about USCB skype interviews before, but it is not that school)

HappyQuark

Re: Skype interview

Post by HappyQuark » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:05 am

kubikat wrote:I have been contacted by one of my schools about a skype interview.
I'm not sure what it means:

a) I'm awesome and they really really want to make me an offer, which is quite unlikely considering my not-too-awesome PGRE
b) I'm in the end of the list and they just want to figure out if they need to cross me off.

Their application deadline was only a week ago for that school and it also happens to be one of my top choices :roll:

What do schools normally ask and why do they do interviews (if anyone has some feedback, would be greatly appreciated)

(I know there was a topic about USCB skype interviews before, but it is not that school)
By USCB, are you referring to the University of Saskatchewan, Cafeteria Bathroom? I've heard that their physics program isn't particularly good.

michael

Post by michael » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:53 am

I think it probably means they are pretty keen on you. It could be as much for them to persuade you to consider their school as to interview you (this is what happened to some friends of mine last year).

It is likely to be a fairly informal, and I would guess they will want to chat with you about what research you would like to do with them, and maybe discuss with you in more detial things you mentioned in your application in a little more detail.

Good luck!

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks Michael (: That has made me a little less nervous. I'll let people on here know the results of the interview and admission (for the future generations).
And Happy Quark, UCSB haha sorry.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:58 pm

kubikat wrote:What do schools normally ask and why do they do interviews
It's so they can confirm you don't look like a tool like me. =)

-Riley

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Haha Riley, I like your picture! =]

I have my computer in the basement with ton of posters and stuff on the wall. So I'll look a bit strange all dressed up and such O.o... but then I have a HUGE whiteboard, so that makes me look smart-ish =]

ashowmega

Post by ashowmega » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:05 pm

kubikat wrote:I have been contacted by one of my schools about a skype interview.
---
So,are you talking about USC?

Maybe HappyQuark will find his version of full form of this acronym, but I am talking about the one that is standing at the southern part of CA :lol:

BTW, all the best (May be you don't need this wish considering your awesomeness :mrgreen: ).

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:22 pm

ashowmega wrote:you talking about USC?
Yep that's the one =] The one in LA. Heh. I know the rankings for it aren't the greatest, but they do EXACTLY what I want to do (research-wise).
Thank yo for good luck wishes! I will need it.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:59 pm

kubikat wrote:
ashowmega wrote:you talking about USC?
Yep that's the one =] The one in LA. Heh. I know the rankings for it aren't the greatest, but they do EXACTLY what I want to do (research-wise).
Thank yo for good luck wishes! I will need it.
I've always felt that USC was severely underrated.

ashowmega

Post by ashowmega » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:42 pm

kubikat wrote: Yep that's the one
So, I assume you are the one to become the first to update admission activity at 'thegradcafe' for 2011 admissions. Congrats! :D

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:33 pm

kubikat wrote:Haha Riley, I like your picture! =]
I would love if someone would Skype interview me. They'd sure be in for a treat.

-Riley

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:23 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
I would love if someone would Skype interview me. They'd sure be in for a treat.

-Riley
What's your skype username? :lol:

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:56 am

axiomofchoice wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley
What's your skype username? :lol:
*speaking to admissions committee*
Ahh yes! Sure you can interview me... My Skype user name is JackPunchedJill.

-Riley

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:12 am

whats wrong with the good old phone?

@kubikat
make sure to put on lots of makeup.

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:11 pm

pqortic wrote:whats wrong with the good old phone?
I feel more at ease when I can see the person I'm talking to. I don't like phone interviews...
pqortic wrote: make sure to put on lots of makeup.
I'm interviewed by a woman (:

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 am

kubikat wrote:
I feel more at ease when I can see the person I'm talking to. I don't like phone interviews...
She might be a lesbian so wear make-up anyway.

modernphysics

Post by modernphysics » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:43 am

So how was your interview dear kubikat. And what's the reason for the damn good interview.
All the best for your future.
kubikat wrote:

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:23 pm

modernphysics wrote:So how was your interview dear kubikat. And what's the reason for the damn good interview.
Thanks! The interview went well. They told me I am going to be getting an official offer soon. VERY excited!!! :mrgreen: