Total eclipse of the moon. Did you see it?

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

CarlBrannen

Total eclipse of the moon. Did you see it?

Post by CarlBrannen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:14 am

The clouds briefly parted over Seattle / Redmond and I got to watch the moon transition to totality accompanied by a few stars. Of course in the middle of the city, with humid air and all, the viewing wasn't perfect, but for the area I was surprised. I couldn't photograph the full eclipse as it was too dark for my camera, but I was able to get a photograph of the moon when it was almost total. The moon is reduced to a line:

axiomofchoice

Re: Total eclipse of the moon. Did you see it?

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:24 pm

I saw it near 3am EST - kinda reddish funny looking, but I don't find it particularly interesting. Guess I'm not of astronomer chop.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Billions of kilograms of matter, moving under the inexorable laws of gravitation became aligned so exactly as to shield a body (an airless orb accustomed to the glare of almost endless light) from the billions of watts of a star's radiation and you didn't find it fun to watch?

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:12 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:Billions of kilograms of matter, moving under the inexorable laws of gravitation became aligned so exactly as to shield a body (an airless orb accustomed to the glare of almost endless light) from the billions of watts of a star's radiation and you didn't find it fun to watch?
I agree it is awesome, unfortunately I had nothing but cloud cover which sucked.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:17 pm

midwestphysics wrote:I agree it is awesome, unfortunately I had nothing but cloud cover which sucked.
Amazing what a little photo enhancement can do:

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Wow, yeah that's a great picture. I can't understand how someone could look up and not be in astonishment. Not trying to knock anyone, but I could look at a photo like that and study it for hours.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:42 pm

It definitely would be much more interesting if I don't know what's going on :lol:

Now the picture is much more interesting than staring at the moon with naked eyes. It's a bit of a letdown looking at that smallish moon in the sky after I expected to see some awesome things. I'd enjoy it more if I have a telescope or even a decent camera. Maybe there's redemption for me as an astronomer, after all.

The_Duck

Post by The_Duck » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:58 pm

I watched the beginning of totality through a telescope; it was pretty fun.