Good research experience, where to apply??

yayo

Good research experience, where to apply??

Post by yayo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:42 pm

I have a bad GRE (v:440,q:740,w:waiting). My TOEFL score was 98/120. I think I will score above 900 in PGRE which I did on November. My undergraduate GPA is 3.9/5.0 from the best ranked university in Colombia, and my M.Sc in Physics GPA is 4.7/5.0 (Summa Cum Laude). I have 8 scientific publications in international journals as first author (in condensed matter theory). I have worked as research assistant in 3 group projects and I have teaching experience. I have won several national scholarships, and recently I won a Fulbright grant for PhD at USA. I suggested 4 universities for the application process which is carried out by an external agency: Stanford, Yale, Columbia, Maryland. I expect very good letters of recommendations from three professors I have worked with. My Statement of purpose is convincing (in my opinion). Therefore I want to know if my background is enough to be admitted into any of these universities. Thank you very much for your comments!!

HappyQuark

Re: Good research experience, where to apply??

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:53 pm

yayo wrote:I have a bad GRE (v:440,q:740,w:waiting). My TOEFL score was 98/120. I think I will score above 900 in PGRE which I did on November. My undergraduate GPA is 3.9/5.0 from the best ranked university in Colombia, and my M.Sc in Physics GPA is 4.7/5.0 (Summa Cum Laude). I have 8 scientific publications in international journals as first author (in condensed matter theory). I have worked as research assistant in 3 group projects and I have teaching experience. I have won several national scholarships, and recently I won a Fulbright grant for PhD at USA. I suggested 4 universities for the application process which is carried out by an external agency: Stanford, Yale, Columbia, Maryland. I expect very good letters of recommendations from three professors I have worked with. My Statement of purpose is convincing (in my opinion). Therefore I want to know if my background is enough to be admitted into any of these universities. Thank you very much for your comments!!

bfollinprm

Re: Good research experience, where to apply??

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Fulbright = your own funding, right? So I'd say you'd get in to all of them, especially with so many publications. I know Ph.D's with less.