Job prospects for physicists from less-than-stellar schools?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

companion_cube

Job prospects for physicists from less-than-stellar schools?

Post by companion_cube » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:03 am

What are some options for physics PhDs from universities that aren't rated in the top 20 for the field? I don't intend to go into academics, but rather research and development or industry.
Would it be very hard to land this sort of job?
Would I be better off just getting a masters or sticking with my bachelors if that is my career goal?

admissionprof

Re: Job prospects for physicists from less-than-stellar schools?

Post by admissionprof » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:23 pm

companion_cube wrote:What are some options for physics PhDs from universities that aren't rated in the top 20 for the field? I don't intend to go into academics, but rather research and development or industry.
Would it be very hard to land this sort of job?
Would I be better off just getting a masters or sticking with my bachelors if that is my career goal?
I'm admissions director at a place that is not top 20, but is top 50. The job prospects are about the same if looking at R&D or industry--the letters from your advisor and others are much more important. In academia, being from a top 20 is more useful--it helps get a stronger postdoc, there are more connections, etc.