Physics to engineering - Should I take physics GRE?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

yllihp

Physics to engineering - Should I take physics GRE?

Post by yllihp » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:21 am

Hi

I know most people here are prospective/current physics graduates rather than engineering graduates, but I didn't know where else I could ask this.

Basically, I have a BSc in physics, and I'm planning to apply for grad programs in mechanical engineering or engineering physics in the US. The question is, should I take the physics GRE?

Most engineering grad programs don't actually require GRE subject tests, so I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to take the physics GRE.

Now my situation is a bit different. I graduated from a british university, and I'm afraid admissions committees in the US won't recognize it. What I'm thinking is, the physics GRE will make my university and grades seem more credible to admissions committees. Or would it not make a difference and just be a massive waste of time to study for?

HappyQuark

Re: Physics to engineering - Should I take physics GRE?

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:48 pm

yllihp wrote:Hi

I know most people here are prospective/current physics graduates rather than engineering graduates, but I didn't know where else I could ask this.

Basically, I have a BSc in physics, and I'm planning to apply for grad programs in mechanical engineering or engineering physics in the US. The question is, should I take the physics GRE?

Most engineering grad programs don't actually require GRE subject tests, so I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to take the physics GRE.

Now my situation is a bit different. I graduated from a british university, and I'm afraid admissions committees in the US won't recognize it. What I'm thinking is, the physics GRE will make my university and grades seem more credible to admissions committees. Or would it not make a difference and just be a massive waste of time to study for?
I'm not sure how engineering departments view the physics GRE but common sense tells me that if you do really well, then admissions committees are likely to be impressed. Alternatively, if you bomb the test then they may be inclined to question your abilities. Based on this, I would only recommend taking it if (A) it is required by one of the universities/departments you want to get into or (B) you think you can get a good score.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:43 pm

honestly I don't think any of them look at your physics gre score. because they have bunch of applicants who don't have the score of this test so committees cannot compare you with others. so I guess it would be waste of time to take this test. schools in US receive application from all over the world and I don't think they have any problem to track down UK applicants documentation.

ryan6

Post by ryan6 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:40 pm

I am in engineering undergrad, and my physics research advisor suggested that I take the subject test, EVEN IF I only apply to engineering departments. The reason being that there are engineering professors that have come from a physics background since the disiplines overlap quite a bit. If one of these profs is sitting on the applicant committee (whatever theyre called), they will be able to gauge your subject test score. Even more importantly, they appreciate students coming from a physics background as they have. This is just a theory.

Even if none of that is accurate, you should STILL take the subject test since you are out of country. Every number that can help prove you have come through a suitable curriculum will improve your chances in US universities.

And if you take it and do poorly, Im pretty sure you can tell ETS to only send general test scores and not subject (might want to verify this)

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:00 pm

ryan6 wrote:I am in engineering undergrad, and my physics research advisor suggested that I take the subject test, EVEN IF I only apply to engineering departments. The reason being that there are engineering professors that have come from a physics background since the disiplines overlap quite a bit. If one of these profs is sitting on the applicant committee (whatever theyre called), they will be able to gauge your subject test score. Even more importantly, they appreciate students coming from a physics background as they have. This is just a theory.

Even if none of that is accurate, you should STILL take the subject test since you are out of country. Every number that can help prove you have come through a suitable curriculum will improve your chances in US universities.

And if you take it and do poorly, Im pretty sure you can tell ETS to only send general test scores and not subject (might want to verify this)
I don't think the admission committee of the engg dept will even see your PGRE score. They have to look up 100's of applications and if I remember correctly, they clearly mention in their application website that the applicant should not send any extra paper work or anything for that matter other than what are asked, any extra info clearly go into the trash cans. The schools only gauge your profile through the list of info they require like SOP, reco letters, GRE score etc (for engg). So according to me its just overkill and not to mention a waste of money!

yllihp

Post by yllihp » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:17 pm

ryan6 wrote:I am in engineering undergrad, and my physics research advisor suggested that I take the subject test, EVEN IF I only apply to engineering departments. The reason being that there are engineering professors that have come from a physics background since the disiplines overlap quite a bit. If one of these profs is sitting on the applicant committee (whatever theyre called), they will be able to gauge your subject test score. Even more importantly, they appreciate students coming from a physics background as they have. This is just a theory.

Oh man, i really don't want to take the physics gre...I'm confident i can get a decent score but it'll probably take quite a bit of effort....

I guess I'll just email the unis and ask them directly