Good research background but terrible transcript

phendrix

Good research background but terrible transcript

Post by phendrix » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:38 am

Hi all, I have a good research background (did one non-REU summer research and two REUs). However, i screwed up my senior year classes and got a D+ grade in one of my physics classes due to some personal problems. Other physics grades are good nonetheless. My CGPA is 3.30. I am really worried about graduate school application now because of that grade. I can not retake that class since it is offered only once in two years and I have already graduated. Of course I am not applying to MIT or Caltech or Cornell with that grade. But I am aiming no so terrible schools with medical physics programs. I am hoping to get some response from real world people. Do you think I can get in ?

arieszen

Re: Good research background but terrible transcript

Post by arieszen » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:28 am

well, I really don't think grad schools will only consider your grades. You have a good research background, try to get good recs from people for whom you have done research work and try to get a good physics GRE score. Don't keep your hopes too high, but definitely apply to some top schools apart from safety schools.

srijal

Re: Good research background but terrible transcript

Post by srijal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:16 am

I am pretty much in a similar situation as Phendrix. First two years were great and the last two were just above 3.0, yet pretty good research experiences. I am planning to apply for geophysics and am rather scared of my transcript than anything else. Is there any member from adcom that could help me with worthwhile suggestions ?

thanks