Multipole expansion for Magnetic Vector Potential

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

blackcat007

Multipole expansion for Magnetic Vector Potential

Post by blackcat007 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:06 pm

I am studying Griffiths and I have the following doubt. For the multipole expansion of the magnetic vector potential Griffiths simply writes the formula for a loop of wire and then ofcourse $$\oint d\mathbf{l}$$ is 0 around a loop (eq 5.78 and 5.80) and then he concludes that there is no monopole, but think about a finite segment of line charge that is moving at v(<<c) in that case the integral will not be a closed one, how do we then account for the fact that there are no monopoles then? Also why has he put a closed integral in the first place?

twistor

Re: Multipole expansion for Magnetic Vector Potential

Post by twistor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:32 pm

You are probably overthinking this.

The Griffiths derivation must include the closed loop integral by the setup of the problem.

In the case of a line charge, think of the magnetic field produced. It must curl around the line charge and close in on itself. Thus, like all magnetic fields, the field produced has 0 divergence and therefore no monopole moment.

I don't have Griffiths in front of me but I'm sure if you work it out for a line charge you will conclude, if you do it correctly, that there is no monopole term.