View Counter Question

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

HappyQuark

View Counter Question

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:37 am

Does the view counter for a PhysicsGRE.com thread count only views by members logged on or does it also count non-members/lurkers? The reason I ask is because the ratio of postings to views is extremely low relative to a lot of other forums I've been on. My conclusion is that either the view counter is counting a lot of people who aren't able to make posts or we have an extremely non-interactive group compared to most online communities (which is unfortunate if true).

quizivex

Re: View Counter Question

Post by quizivex » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:23 am

Hmm... I'm thinking the easiest way to answer the question is just log out, click on the thread and see if the count increases. :wink: :idea:

Edit: I got the view count of this thread from 2 to 37 that way...

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:16 am

quizivex wrote:Hmm... I'm thinking the easiest way to answer the question is just log out, click on the thread and see if the count increases. :wink: :idea:

Edit: I got the view count of this thread from 2 to 37 that way...
What can I say, I'm a better theorist than an experimentalist.

:oops:

Thanks for the confirmation though.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:43 am

Bots are a big part of the viewing numbers in general, although you can tell by the popularity of the profiles thread that we also get a lot of hits from google searches and people just browsing.