Universite de Paris - Accepted!

betelgeuse1

Universite de Paris - Accepted!

Post by betelgeuse1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:30 pm

I don't believe it! USA What happens there? I am admitted in Paris! I love USA but USA doesn't love me? WHY? :cry:

blackcat007

Re: Universite de Paris - Accepted!

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:22 pm

betelgeuse1 wrote:I don't believe it! USA What happens there? I am admitted in Paris! I love USA but USA doesn't love me? WHY? :cry:
congratulations!! atleast you have some direction now.

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:34 pm

yeah, right... 3 years PhD that should be of 4 years at least... and after that no secure funding... great direction... :(

theoretical_phys

Post by theoretical_phys » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:54 am

Welcome to my world. I was accepted into UCL, King's College, and University of Sussex...ALL without funding.

Europe hates me.

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 am

no no... My offer has also some funding and some housing help... it's just they pay only 3 years and it usually takes more to finish the PhD. The Idea was that after the 3 years one has to search for funding... Would be silly to stop after 3/4 of your PhD because there's no more money... Otherwise I just found some nice apartments in Paris for only 400 EUR / month ... not so bad after all... :) :wink:

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 am

There is also the way universities are being seen. American Universities have simply more prestige, you can find a job far easier if you get your PhD from an American university but WHO the hell heard about university of Paris Diderot??? You see, Europe is not the best option... :?

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:24 pm

Paris is also one of those places "proud not to speak english", so it may be hard to have a good time there unless you speak french.

noojens

Post by noojens » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Mataka wrote:Paris is also one of those places "proud not to speak english", so it may be hard to have a good time there unless you speak french.
Really? I've never found that to be the case. Most Parisians I know are at least trilingual, and everyone speaks some English. As long as you make an effort to learn some French and approach people in their native language (what a concept), people will accommodate you.

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:59 am

Mataka wrote:Paris is also one of those places "proud not to speak english", so it may be hard to have a good time there unless you speak french.
I know... :(
I've learned some French during my last year there so I hope it'll be better now. The problem is I don't know how I'll survive without my hot-dogs. :?
Now, seriously, I've got already some rejections from the US system and I wait for BU, Brandeis, Northeastern and Rice. I suppose Rice will reject me sooner or later and I don't know if I'll go to the others anyway. The Paris program looks pretty good...
I hope I'll see NY at least during my post-doc...
Love you America!