Stevens Institute of Technology/ Commute Stony Brook

endobmm

Stevens Institute of Technology/ Commute Stony Brook

Post by endobmm » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:42 pm

Anyone apply or receive an offer from them? How do you rate their program. I'd like to stay in NYC area, although i have received offer from Stony Brook which does have lot more faculty and better reputation.

Anyone commute from Stony Brook to NYC?

Appreciate any thoughts/comments.

kroner

Re: Stevens Institute of Technology/ Commute Stony Brook

Post by kroner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:06 am

This is just an estimate but I think the commute between NYC and Stony Brook is probably going to be something on the order of 2 hours, either by car or via the LIRR. It'll depend on where in the city you're coming from and could be less if you're in Brooklyn or Queens.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:04 am

endobmm, only you know what's best for you, but I think anyone would quickly be worn out by such a brutal commute. Living in NYC at especially the first few years would be insane. Perhaps after the third year when you're just doing thesis work, it may be feasible if you only have to go to campus 1-3 times per week. (That may be the case if you're a theorist and your advisor approves.)

endobmm

Post by endobmm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Tis a tough commute, I am close to LIRR in Queens but its still over one a half hours away. I might consider getting train somedays and driving others.