preparing for PGRE 2010

prakhar

preparing for PGRE 2010

Post by prakhar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I am planning to appear for Physics GRE 2010. Although there is a lot of time to go for the test, still it would be a tough challenge for me to study along with working full time in an organisation.

I would like to know if there's anyone else planning to appear for the same with me.. It might ease my burden of studying alone! :)

satyad18

Re: preparing for PGRE 2010

Post by satyad18 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:55 pm

prakhar wrote:Hi everyone,

I am planning to appear for Physics GRE 2010. Although there is a lot of time to go for the test, still it would be a tough challenge for me to study along with working full time in an organisation.

I would like to know if there's anyone else planning to appear for the same with me.. It might ease my burden of studying alone! :)
I'm re-taking the test in November-2010.

adhikarir

Post by adhikarir » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:31 am

I am appearing for PGRE on April 10! Rough way ahead.

mobytish

Post by mobytish » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:57 am

I'm considering taking it in April. I'm already into the school I want, but I know it's needed for some NSF grants. Still, I'm not sure I'd do particularly well, so I don't know if it's even worth it.

adhikarir

Post by adhikarir » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:03 am

mobytish wrote:I'm considering taking it in April. I'm already into the school I want, but I know it's needed for some NSF grants. Still, I'm not sure I'd do particularly well, so I don't know if it's even worth it.

U mean you are going to take it as a graduate student? I thought PGRE is requirement for application to a grad school.

mobytish

Post by mobytish » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:04 am

There are plenty of threads on this board that discuss schools that don't require it.

I did not always apply to the actual Physics program. I applied to Chemical Physics (Liquid Crystal Institute) at Kent, Optics at Rochester, and Physics at Lehigh. Lehigh says they require it on their webpage, but I asked them if there was a way around this, and they said that I should apply anyway. Even without a PGRE, I ended up getting offered one of their University Fellowships (they usually give people TAs).

I am not yet a grad student, I will be one next year (Fall 2010 and on). I registered because Lehigh asked me to take it in April, but since I'm going to Kent and Kent doesn't care (aside from, like I said, saying I may need it for some external fellowships I might apply to), so I don't really want to take it, especially considering I haven't had time to study and I'm not sure how much I'll have in the next month. Still, I don't want to jeopardize my chances of getting NSF or other fellowships.

Kaumz

Post by Kaumz » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:46 am

hello all,

I just joined the forum. This is really a great place place for physics gre prep. I found all the links very useful .

I will be taking physics gre in nov 2010 too. But unfortunately I will be starting preparation only now. I hope i can manage.

Cheers :)