Universities not asking for general GRE?????

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

pv05

Universities not asking for general GRE?????

Post by pv05 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:42 am

I am a B.Tech graduate and I want to apply for Masters or PhD in Astrophysics from USA or Canada.

KIndly let me know about the universities which are accepting students only on the basis of TOEFL and GRE Physics and providing scholarships also if I apply for Masters.

quizivex

Re: Universities not asking for general GRE?????

Post by quizivex » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:17 am

<delted due to excessive sarcasm- question was not as stupid as I thought after noticing the subject heading... though the poster should still have looked into the question himself first>

Kites

Post by Kites » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:09 am

pv05 wrote:I am a B.Tech graduate and I want to apply for Masters or PhD in Astrophysics from USA or Canada.

KIndly let me know about the universities which are accepting students only on the basis of TOEFL and GRE Physics and providing scholarships also if I apply for Masters.
Hold on a second... Let me make sure I have this right.

You want US to go through and do all the work you're supposed to be doing?

pv05, can you go make me a million dollars and post back where I can go pick it up kthx!!!

bibimbop

Post by bibimbop » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:37 am

I think (hope) he meant if you know any off the top of your head. But ya it should be easy to find out for yourself pv05

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:19 am

Yea, people shouldn't have to do extensive web browsing for every question they have... it's certainly reasonable to just ask someone else who may already know and be able to answer it quickly and easily. (Though especially on a forum like this, most questions people think of have been discussed to death before, so they should at least start with a quick keyword search on here.)

(deleted due to my misunderstanding)

bibimbop

Post by bibimbop » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:35 am

quizivex wrote:And does he really think a physics program would accept a student only for taking the TOEFL and the PGRE? ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )The TOEFL has nothing to do with physics, so he's basically asking what programs in the North American continent will automatically accept someone based on the PGRE score. Anyone with just a slight interest in going to physics graduate school in the US should already have looked into it enough to know that they evaluate other things... one's undergrad GPA and coursework, the PGRE, the general GRE, recommendations, research, TOEFL for internationals...
Not to drag this out even further but from the title "Universities not asking for general GRE?????" I think he was asking purely about what standardized tests schools require. In other words: what schools, in terms of standardized tests, only require students to take the TOEFL and PGRE but not the general GRE.

In answer to that, pv05, my personal feeling is that if you do well on the TOEFL and the physics GRE, you'll do fine on the general too, and since you're not applying this year (I assume), you still have a lot of time to take the general exam. All the schools that I know of require the general GRE, so just get it over with if you can.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:52 am

Holy *** I recant my statement. I didn't look at the topic title in connection with the question... I should've realized that... but questions in posts should be written in a more self-contained manner lol.

pv05:
I don't think many schools, if any, would require the PGRE but not the general GRE. Even if there are a handful that don't, you shouldn't limit your whole search to those schools... that's a silly thing to let decide your future. Just take the general GRE anyway. If you're planning to do competently on the PGRE, i.e. you're good at physics/math, you'll certainly ace the math section on the general GRE which is very easy. Even if you mess up, a good PGRE score shows them you know math well anyway so the committees won't care. Most people do lousy on the verbal section and internationals, even the accepted ones, usually have a very low verbal score (see profile thread). Schools use the TOEFL to determine if you know English at an acceptable level. So the verbal/writing aren't very relevant to you. So my advice is, don't try to avoid the general GRE. Just take it... study a little and try your best, but it's not going to matter much if at all. The PGRE/TOEFL together completely outweigh the general GRE.

mobytish

Post by mobytish » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:59 am

In my own research, I came across one school. Kent State University Physics department requires the Physics GRE, but not the General GRE at all. I don't think they fund masters. Their deadline is also Jan 31, I think.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:47 am

I think that all the schools in Canada only require PGRE and TOEFL, not general GRE.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:06 pm

Mataka wrote:I think that all the schools in Canada only require PGRE and TOEFL, not general GRE.
Double. Canadian universities do not ask for general GRE. for American univs, only a few of them do not ask for general GRE. you should search yourself. in some schools with Master terminate, like those I mentioned in "ms programs in physics" topic, having general GRE scores is not a requirement.

check university of new york albany. they don't require GRE either.