Should I give the Physics GRE in 2023?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

NishV

Should I give the Physics GRE in 2023?

Post by NishV » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:20 am

I am a graduate of a decently reputed Indian university with a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering and Master's in Physics (5-year dual-degree program). My final CGPA was 7.94/10. I applied to more than 25 programs for either a Master's or a PhD in Physics starting Fall 2023, including more than 15 US Grad schools. Unfortunately, I have been rejected by almost all of them so far. I do have previous research experience in high-energy physics (including my thesis), but no publications or presentations. I spent a lot of time preparing my SOP and getting it reviewed and edited, as it was the only thing in my control. I am not sure why I did not get any acceptances or waitlists at all. I intend to try again this year for Fall 2024 admissions. Is giving the physics GRE recommended for me? I have been reading more and more about why its importance has decreased in grad school applications, but should I still give it? If I get a good score, will it help compensate for the cgpa or any other lackings in my application? Any advice is highly appreciated. Cheers.

centarsirius

Re: Should I give the Physics GRE in 2023?

Post by centarsirius » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:10 am

Same thing happened to me, but i didn't give GRE or pGRE either time. Take this year to constantly improve your sop and start/continue a research project up until application time. Try to get a pub or presentation out of it, and try remote research with professors abroad. GRE and pGRE aren't required by a lot of schools, some even tell your outright to not send them as they won't consider it. So, you can control 3 things now - your SOP, research and LoRs directly influenced by your results and research process

veil

Post by veil » Tue May 16, 2023 2:16 pm

centarsirius wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:10 am
Same thing happened to me, but i didn't give GRE or pGRE either time. Take this year to constantly improve your sop and start/continue a research project up until application time. Try to get a pub or presentation out of it, and try remote research with professors abroad. GRE and pGRE aren't required by a lot of schools, some even tell your outright to not send them as they won't consider it. So, you can control 3 things now - your SOP, research and LoRs directly influenced by your results and research process
Hi Centarsirius,
Since you mentioned remote research I have few questions on that. How to get a remote research opportunity with professors abroad? Is there a specific website/portal/forums/communities available for that? I am not from physics or research background. So it would be helpful if you advise me.

centarsirius

Post by centarsirius » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:10 am

there's no specific way or channel to do that except just find potential researchers and professors by reading papers in your domain. reach out to them and tell them you found this interesting (be genuine) and say you'd like to learn more by working with them, so if they can give you an opportunity to work with them, it'd be helpful.

aniketkedare

Post by aniketkedare » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:31 am

yes please give GREE exam it will a good prospect to your application