2021 Applicant Profile and Admission Results

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

IaMkizzz

2021 Applicant Profile and Admission Results

Post by IaMkizzz » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:44 pm

This is the most useful resource PhysicsGRE has to offer. If you have used this information in the past or are currently using it to help decide upon schools, I highly suggest you help out and post your own profile once you have applied to schools. Future members of this forum will find it very useful! Don't be shy!

Copy and paste the template below in your reply to keep the formatting.

Note from moderator: Profile threads are best when they only have profiles. Please avoid making other posts on this thread. If you wish to discuss profiles, it is helpful to have a separate "profile discussion thread", as was done in some past years. Thanks.

GPA in Major:
Overall GPA:
Length of Degree: (Are you graduating after 3, 4, or 5 years?)
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?)
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?)

GRE Scores: NO GRE REQUIRED FOR THIS YEAR (WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED). However, if you have the scores, you might just post them here.

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: )

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

School - Department - Research Interest Feb. 28: (WILL ATTEND for Ph.D. Accepted via website/email + $Xk Fellowship + $XXk/X month TA)
School - Department - Research Interest (Feb. 14: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email + $Xk Fellowship + $XXk/X month TA)
School - Department - Research Interest (Feb. 23: Rejected via website/email)
Last edited by IaMkizzz on Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mysterymachine420

Re: 2021 Applicant Profile and Admission Results

Post by mysterymachine420 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Good luck to all, this site has helped me a ton in making my list of schools.

Undergrad Institution: Large state school ranked ~100 in physics (US News ranking)
Major(s): Physics, Mathematics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 4.0 (physics), 3.9 (Math)
Overall GPA: 3.98
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: School doesn't rank, but probably near top
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores : Covid
Q: N/A
V: N/A
W: N/A
P: N/A

TOEFL: N/A

Research Experience:
About 3 years of research on 3 different projects all at my home institution. No publications, 2 posters, 1 conference proceeding, 2 chalk talks and a paper on my senior thesis (not published anywhere)

My first experience was creating a data pipeline in Python to filter CMB data. I worked on this for about 2 years and ended up writing an extensive Python module on my own. This resulted in the poster and conference proceeding mentioned above. Also have all the code I wrote posted on Github and I linked to this on my CV.

Second experience was in high energy theory working on understanding limiting cases of supersymmetric quantum field theories. This project is still ongoing. The 2 chalk talks, one of the posters, and the senior thesis mentioned above were for this project. Every school but Colorado Boulder got an updated CV with the senior thesis on it (Boulder's app deadline was right before I finished the paper)

Third experience was with a math professor working on a project in metric space analysis. This project is still ongoing as well. No presentations or anything like that for this one yet.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
A few departmental awards
A few scholarships
Dean's list every semester
Member of Sigma Pi Sigma

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Special Bonus Points: 4 strong recommendation letters (I think). 3 of them are from my research advisors (one of which is a well-known prof in high energy theory) and one from a professor which I've had 3 classes with.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Eagle scout (not sure if this matters?)

Applying to Where: All for computational astrophysics/cosmology unless noted otherwise.

Super Reach:
Stanford - physics
Caltech - physics
UC Berkeley - physics
U Chicago - physics
Yale - physics
Princeton - astronomy
Colorado Boulder - astrophysical & planetary science

Large Reach:
Stony Brook - physics
Northwestern - physics
UC Santa Cruz - physics
Boston University - astronomy
U of Washington - astronomy

Reach:
UC Riverside - physics
U of Illinois at Chicago - physics (biophysics)
U of Hawaii at Manoa - physics (HEP ex)
Vanderbilt - astronomy
Last edited by mysterymachine420 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

xraygoth

Post by xraygoth » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:06 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts school in California, little reputation
Major(s): Physics & Math
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.46 (Physics), abysmal in Math
Overall GPA: 3.19 :roll: every day of my life I wish I could redo undergrad
Length of Degree: 4
Position in Class: Probably top 25% for physics GPA
Type of Student: DWM

Grad Institution: Large state school in California, decent reputation
Degree Type: M.S.
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.85
Overall GPA: 3.85
Length of Degree: 2
Position in Class: Top 3 for physics GPA maybe?

GRE Scores: N/A in 2020 b/c COVID, Scores are from 2019 - not reporting (but appear on M.S. transcript)
Q: 159
V: 160
W: 4.5

Totally winged the GRE when I took it for my M.S. application. My quantitative score was rather embarrassing...

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: ) N/A

Research Experience:

1 year at undergrad institution working on a computational/theoretical study of high-energy accretion in black hole binaries. Produced the vast majority of numerical results. Work led to publication as 2nd author in ApJ as well as a poster presentation at APS April Meeting in 2019. Most work was completed working full time in the summer of 2018. I was very late to the research game. I was encouraged to apply REUs as an underclassman and just got straight rejections (or didn't even hear back). Unfortunately, the department at my institution wasn't good about letting students know there was research they could perform. In hindsight, I would've started as a freshman.

6 months at master's institution working on a computational/theoretical study of neutron stars. Only full time since the end of summer as M.S. students aren't expected to start research for our theses until the end of our first year. Been writing an original program to solve structure equations in general relativity and perturbative f(R)-gravity with various equation of state models. Mainly focused on the "mass gap" and seeing if modified gravity theories can produce more massive neutron stars that remain consistent with observation. No publications yet. Co-authoring a book chapter on proto-neutron stars for publication in 2021. Work leading up to thesis may result in 1st author publication in 2021 if I can pull it off.

Total research experience is probably 1 year full time spread across 2.5 years.

-Dean's list a couple semesters in undergrad
-S-STEM Scholarship (NSF sponsored for being poor and in STEM)
-Honors in Physics Department
-Large academic scholarships

-Mathematics tutor for two years in undergrad
-Graduate TA for 1.5 years in grad school

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: not really

Special Bonus Points:
-Handful of graduate classes from being in M.S.
-First-generation student, very low income
-Two rec letters are from research advisors from undergrad and grad institution, the other is a prof I took quantum and nuclear with in grad school and was top in the class for both
-Only person in graduating class to major in both Physics & Math (and did pretty awful lol)
-Extensive core requirements at undergrad institution may/may not help explain lacking GPA
-Over 3 semesters of experience teaching undergraduate laboratories

Significant upward trend latter years of undergrad, and most notably so in grad school when one doesn't have to worry about abysmal pure math instruction. For my statement of purpose, I've spent many many months working on it extensively. Lots of feedback and recommenders seem to think it is pretty good. Probably won't matter as there's just too many impossibly impressive people on here with profiles like "3 first author pubs, 10 graduate courses by my 3rd year, 2 Nobel laureate recommenders, 3 REUs, NSF fellow, 4.0 GPA as a Physics, Math, CS triple major (finished in 3.5 years) and a proof of Goldbach's conjecture" lol

Applying to Where: All for computational astrophysics, cosmology, or closely related fields. My guess is there's an 95% chance I get in absolutely nowhere and a 5% chance I get in somewhere.

Beyond Reach:

Boulder - APS
UCSB - Physics
UC Berkeley - Astronomy
Stanford - Physics
UCLA - Astronomy & Astrophysics
UCSD - Physics
Northwestern - Astronomy
USC - Physics
Rice - Physics
UC Irvine - Physics
UW - Physics
UC Davis - Physics
UC Santa Cruz - Astronomy & Astrophysics
UC Riverside - Physics
Oregon - Physics
UIUC - Physics
Oregon State - Physics
Last edited by xraygoth on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

hurbe002

Post by hurbe002 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:06 pm

Undergrad Institution: Big state school (top 25 in physics)
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 3.87
Overall GPA: 3.89
Length of Degree: 3 years (with 1 year at a CC as highschooler (4.0 gpa there) and 1 year at main institution as a highschooler)
Position in Class: no idea
Type of Student: just a white boi

GRE Scores : (revised or old version?) lol nah - couldn't even take it
Q: no
V: no
W: no
P: no

Research Experience:
2.5 - 3ish years in a spintronics EE lab, lots of technical experience with photolithography, thin film deposition, vacuum systems, electrical/magnetic transport measurements. Currently have a patent in progress and a manuscript being drafted (most likely 2nd author, maybe co first)

-deans list every semester
-undergrad research grant based on a written proposal
-got an award for being the top chemistry student for two semesters at the CC I went to in HS (grad admissions probably don't care about this but included anyway lol)

-TA for intro courses
-Reviewer for an undergrad academic journal at my institution
-Volunteered as a judge at a statewide science fair

Special Bonus Points:
-Took two semesters graduate quantum rather than the upper division as a sophomore - have the prof for this writing one of my letters
-my research advisor really wants me to stay at my home institution so that hopefully means I'll get a good letter from him

I think my SOP is pretty good based on feedback I have gotten from profs, I also plan on emailing professors whose research I am interested in

Applying to Where: Everything for CME unless otherwise noted

Cornell - Physics
Stanford - Applied Physics
Berkeley - Physics
Yale - Applied Physics - Interview Request 1/15
UIUC - Physics
Columbia - Applied Physics
Johns Hopkins - Physics
UMD College Park - Physics
UChicago - Molecular Engineering - Interview Request 1/18

Michigan - Physics
UW Madison - Physics
University of Washington - Physics
Ohio State - Physics
UMN - Physics
Last edited by hurbe002 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JerryZ

Post by JerryZ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:27 pm

Undergrad Institution: UK top school, fine reputation with physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA: First Class (Haven't converted to 4.0 scale yet)
Length of Degree: 4, with integrated master's degree
Position in Class: near top
Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores : Taken, but probably won't matter
Q: 170
V: 160
W: 4.0

TOEFL: waived

Research Experience: Three summer internships in US. One project at home institution, and now carrying on master's project. No papers.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: nah

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: nah

Special Bonus Points: All my project supervisors in the US are well respected in their fields, but only 2/3 will be solid letters I guess.

Applying to Where: all in directions of QIS/AMO

Princeton - EECS
Berkeley - Physics
Yale - Applied Physics
Harvard - Physics
Caltech - Applied Physics
Stanford - Applied Physics
MIT - Physics
MIT - EECS
UChicago - Molecular Engineering
UIUC - Physics
Last edited by JerryZ on Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

relahydro

Post by relahydro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:58 pm

Undergrad Institution: Highly ranked state school
Minor(s): Math, Astronomy
GPA in Major: 3.92
Overall GPA: 3.90
Position in Class: not sure, probably near top
Type of Student: Domestic Asian / white male

GRE Scores: n/a due to COVID

Research Experience: 2.5 years (including one summer) at home institution doing gravitational wave data analysis with LIGO. One summer in Italy working on hardware for the Virgo interferometer. One summer working virtually with NASA on LISA gravitational wave data analysis.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Full-tuition merit scholarship for undergrad, Dean's list-type honors every semester, academic award from the college honors program, DOE-INFN summer research fellowship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: SPS vice president for one year and SPS president for one year, lots of outreach through SPS, physics course grader for two semesters

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: One co-authored collaboration publication, 2 APS conference presentations, senior thesis in prep

Special Bonus Points: Grad classes in GR and cosmology, three classes in scientific computing, participated tangentially in numerical relativity and GRMHD research at NASA, all rec letters are from research advisors

Applying to Where: All for gravitational waves, numerical relativity, or computational astrophysics

Caltech - Physics
MIT - Physics
Princeton - Physics
Harvard - Physics
Cornell - Physics
Stanford - Physics
UC Berkeley - Physics
UT Austin - Physics
Maryland - Physics
Michigan - Physics
Northwestern - Physics
Columbia - Astronomy
UChicago - Astronomy
UCLA - Astronomy
Last edited by relahydro on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.

chiyooo

Post by chiyooo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Undergrad Institution: historically women's liberal arts college in US
Major(s): physics
Minor(s): CS
GPA in Major: 3.45
Overall GPA: 3.52
Position in Class: average? we don't do rankings
Type of Student: white/asian female

GRE Scores: took them last year, but will not be submitting the scores anywhere

Research Experience: 1 REU over the summer in amo physics which resulted in a conference presentation in an undergrad session. About 2 years of experience in an atomic physics lab at my home institution which resulted in a publication and 2 conference presentations.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: scholarship at my school and random fellowship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Lab TA, SPS President, cross country, track

Special Bonus Points:

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I applied to GA Tech and Rice last year... also nothing in my application has really changed. I also contacted professors at most of these institutions and received positive feedback, but I heard it doesn't really mean much.

Applying to Where: (All for AMO physics, unless otherwise noted)

Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (Invited for Interview and virtual open house 12/23-- This is the second stage in the app process)
UT Austin
Purdue
University of Virginia
CU Boulder
IU Bloomington
Rice (Informally informed of acceptance via email 1/7)
Georgia Tech
University of Connecticut
Stony Brook

Good luck everyone! I'm so curious about how things will go this year...

Update: Rice was my first choice so I guess my application process has concluded. :) To anyone applying to grad school for the second time with little change in your resume- there's hope. I guess contacting professors directly helped me out.
Last edited by chiyooo on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twogroup

Post by twogroup » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:37 am

Undergrad Institution: medium-sized private school, good reputation in physics
Major(s): physics, math
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: ~3.88 in both
Overall GPA: ~3.88
Position in Class: dunno, maybe somewhat above average?
Type of Student: domestic Asian female

GRE Scores: didn't take either the general or physics GRE

Research Experience: about 1 - 1.5 years at my school in experimental soft condensed matter, no papers or conference talks as of time of application, planned senior thesis in the same lab

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: only institution-wide: some summer research awards, merit scholarships, dean's list

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: a few years of various science and math outreach efforts

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: nothing especially!

Special Bonus Points:

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: a bit nervous about my letters, I only have one from a research advisor, although he is pretty well-known in the field and does a lot of cool work, other two from classes and not super sold on them since they won't be research related.

Applying to Where: All for PhD programs in soft condensed matter and biophysics

Brandeis - Physics (soft)
Emory - Physics (soft)
Harvard - Physics (soft)
MIT - Physics (sorta both? maybe more bio leaning)
NC State - Physics (soft)
NYU - Physics (soft)
Princeton - Physics (bio)
UCSB - Physics (soft)
UPenn - Physics (soft)
Yale - Physics (bio)

Writing this out somehow made me even more nervous. Nevertheless, best of luck to everyone who is applying this season and in the future! :D

dagron

Post by dagron » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:57 pm

Good luck y'all
GPA in Major: 3.87
Overall GPA: 3.89
Position in Class: Top 5-10%
Type of Student: International Asian Male

Research Experience: (Most recent to oldest)
2 years HEP-exp/CERN (REU at home university, senior thesis, 1 poster)
1 year Quantum Optics (REU at home university)
2 years Computational Mechanics (3 national conferences, 1 poster)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans Honor List, EE Honor Society

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Summer Internship at a company in Systems Engineering
Grader for a class under one of the profs I did research with
NASA funded independent project on mechanical design
Rocket Design club projects

Special Bonus Points: Current PI has a lot of connections in HEP-ex. Was told by him my letter will be strong.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've contacted and met with at least one prof from each university and many have indicated they'd want me to join their group (yay!)
My third letter writer flaked on me, so I got a back up one. It’s the least important letter so maybe it won’t make a big difference. Kinda sucks tho :/

Applying to Where: (All for HEP-ex)

Caltech
MIT
Stanford
Princeton
Cornell
U Chicago
UC Berkeley
UCLA
UCSB
U Michigan
UW Madison

(I know I'm gambling without any safeties, rip...)
Last edited by dagron on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkSkinDude

Post by DarkSkinDude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 pm

Good luck everyone! Grad apps are damn stressful haha.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Undergrad Institution: Top 5 Canadian university. Good physics program but not particularly well known. Has a couple famous faculty members.
Major(s): Engineering Physics
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA: 3.8
Length of Degree: 6 (2 years Phys Sci major + 3 years Eng Phys major + 1 year co-op)
Position in Class: Maybe top 3%? Based on a scholarship.
Type of Student: South Asian male, Canadian citizen.

GRE Scores: Nope (thankfully).

TOEFL: Nope. English is my first language.

Research Experience:

Four months of experimental biophysics research (NSERC funded).
One 3/12 author publication in open-access engineering journal (Nanomaterials).
Two 3/12 author conference abstracts.
One poster presentation at home institution.

Eight months of computational QM research with a CMT group (NSERC + dept. grant funded).
One 1/2 author publication in pedagogical physics journal (AJP).
One poster presentation at home institution.

Four months of (remote) CMT research with the same group (NSERC funded).
One 1/2 author publication in serious CM research journal (PRB).
Presented two sixty-minute chalk talks (remotely) to CM dept. at home institution.

Four undergraduate research awards,
one percentile rank based scholarship,
other academic scholarships,
Dean's list every term.

Four-months as a test engineer in the semiconductor sector. Lots of hands-on + programming work with microwave electronics instrumentation.
Also have worked as private tutor for high school math/physics/chemistry.

Haha nah. I played collegiate football as a freshman but they won't care about that.

Special Bonus Points:
No grad classes, unfortunately, but was enrolled in 6 difficult courses basically every term (senior/junior level ECE + physics courses).
Wrote two first-author papers with one of my recommenders, so expecting a very solid reference.
Another reference is a big shot in CMT, personally knows at least one Prof at each institution I am applying to.

Don't think so. I am apart of a visible minority, but I don't think that's gonna matter much.

Applying to Where:

Applying to CMT everywhere. Applying to CME at MIT and UCSB as well.

Yale - Physics PhD
CalTech - Physics PhD
Stanford - Physics PhD
Berkeley - Physics PhD
MIT - Physics PhD
Princeton - Physics PhD
Harvard - Physics PhD
Cornell - Physics PhD
UCSB - Physics PhD
UofT - Physics MSc
Last edited by DarkSkinDude on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:14 am, edited 8 times in total.

IaMkizzz

Post by IaMkizzz » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:41 pm

Good luck y'all! Wish me luck also!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Undergrad Institution: one of the non-top UC schools
Major(s): Physics; Math
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.7
Length of Degree: 4 yrs
Position in Class: IDK
Type of Student: l'internationale

Master Institution: small Ivy
GPA in Major: 3.8
Length of Degree: 2 yrs
Position in Class: IDK

GRE Scores: COVID-19

TOEFL:

Research Experience:

- One year + research in biophysics in master's study.

- One summer in undergrad doing nuclear physics

one term Dean's list

nothing pertinent. teaching high schooler physics? didn't even bother to mention it in my app.

Nah. Wish I did peace corp or Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme

Special Bonus Points:
Master study?

My parents didn't go to school at all? I play flute? I am versatile? By versatile I mean I am willing to do any type of research.

Applying to Where:

(Physics unless otherwise specified)

Proper-distance-of-the-universe Reach:

Harvard (BioPhysics) (Need some hype here, bois. YOLO)
UT Austin
UChicago (Molecular Engineering)
Northwestern
UCSD

Interstellar Reach:

UIUC
Stony Brook
Penn State
Brandeis
UC Merced

14Hrs-Flight Reach:

U of Utah (Mechanical engineering)
CityU

HuanGabriel

Post by HuanGabriel » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Undergrad Institution: Medium school in Brazil. Not very known for physics.
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.76
Overall GPA: 3.76
Position in Class: Top

GRE Scores:

TOEFL: (R: 29, L: 30, S: 25, W: 21 :( )

Research Experience: Four years of research experience in my school. I have been working in HEP with the same advisor. One 1/3 published paper in a renowned journal. One 4/4 published paper in the same journal. One paper in a national journal. One presentation at a national conference. I am currently working on three papers.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scientific initiation student scholarship for four years.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Two TA positions, one as TA of introduction to electromagnetism and the other as TA of QFT.

Special Bonus Points:

Applying to Where: All to condensed matter

Princeton - Ph.D. Physics
Harvard - Ph.D. Physics
MIT - Ph.D. Physics
Stanford - Ph.D. Physics
UBC - MS Physics
Utrecht University - MS Physics
ICTP - Diploma Programme

Extlros

Post by Extlros » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:26 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large state school ranked ~50 in physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.90
Overall GPA: 3.83
Position in Class:
Type of Student: Domestic Southeast Asian male

GRE Scores: Did not take GRE or physics GRE due to the pandemic.

Research Experience: ~3 years in an optics lab, ~1 year in crystal growth and characterization lab, 1 REU at a different institution on computational biophysics. Currently working on a manuscript for publication where I will be the 1st author (1/2). I will also be 3rd author (3/5) on another publication a fellow graduate student is currently writing. Sadly, none of these will be published/ready when I turn in my applications.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Several departmental awards and scholarships.

Special Bonus Points: My recommenders are well-known in their respective fields and have connections with professors at the universities I am applying to. I am taking graduate-level courses in statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics, which will be my field of study.

Applying to Where: All the schools I am applying to will be for Physics, specifically CME.
MIT
Columbia
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara
UW Seattle
These are pretty hard reaching schools, but I feel confident that I can get into at least one. Good luck to all!
Last edited by Extlros on Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bnoether

Post by bnoether » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:49 am

Good luck you all :)

Undergrad Institution: top Brazilian school in Physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.8
Position in Class: average/top
Type of Student: International female

GRE Scores:

TOEFL: (R: 26, L: 29, S: 21, W: 27)

Research Experience: 2 years of research experience on cosmology at my university during undergrad + 1/2 year during master's. One 1st author publication in a good journal and 2 as a co-author on related topics. Some conferences and talks (including one in another country).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: prize for best talk, top fellowships

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: a lot of summer schools (including one in another country).

Special Bonus Points: 7 grad classes (3 on cosmology, QFT1 and 2)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: sent email to at least one person in each university, advanced programming skills, personal website

Applying to Where: only to a few places. I will continue my master's in Brazil if I am not successful in my applications, or finish it in one year in case I am accepted. Mainly applying to my favorite universities on my research area/cosmology to see how it goes.

PSI
Harvard - Physics
Princeton - Physics
UPenn - Physics
Max Planck - Astrophysics

random1881

Post by random1881 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:02 pm

Undergrad Institution: large state school, ranked top 40 in US in physics
Major(s): physics
Minor(s): math
GPA in Major: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.96
Position in Class: not reported
Type of Student: domestic white male

GRE Scores: NO GRE REQUIRED FOR THIS YEAR (WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED): didn't take

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: ): N/A

Research Experience: 3 years (experimental condensed matter) at my undergraduate institution with one summer being supported as local REU student. 1 summer with a national lab via the SULI program (computational condensed matter). 2 papers currently in review process (1st author out of 2, 1st author out of 7) at mid tier journals. 1 paper currently being prepared for publication (1st author out of 2). 1 presentation at a national conference, abstract submitted to give another this year.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Several scholarships/fellowships from home institution.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for a semester, tutor for 2 years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: N/A

Special Bonus Points: three letters of rec. from research PIs.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where (all experimental condensed matter):

Princeton
Stanford
MIT
Berkeley
Cornell
Northwestern
U. Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
U. Maryland
U. Colorado - Boulder
Ohio State U.
U. Florida - Jan. 19: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email $25k/12 month TA
Boston College
U. Washington - Jan. 11: talked to a professor who seemed to indicate that I would likely get in
Iowa State U.
U. Tennessee - Knoxville - Nov.: invited by professor to tour school in early Jan.
Louisiana State U.
Last edited by random1881 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

noether02

Post by noether02 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:35 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large public school in US, top 40 in physics
Major(s): Physics and Astrophysics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.74, 3.82
Overall GPA:3.80
Position in Class: No idea
Type of Student: Asian Female - international

GRE Scores: N/A
N/A

Research Experience:
1 year -biomechanics with a natural history museum - worked on a code used by Duke Uni and presented work at a seminar
1 year- galactic astronomy work
2 years - CME - collaborative paper just published to mid tier journals
8 mons- LIGO gravitational wave research - 3 posters, 4 to go and senior thesis

University Scholar
Recipient of Center for Condensed Matter Sciences Grant
Multiple Dean’s List
SPS Distinguished Chapter Award

Tutor - physics, math, english and python programming
SPS - President, Ambassador, Historian
Sig Pi Sig- Founder and President
Students for the Exploration and Development of Space(SEDS) at Uni - President and VP
SEDS Singapore - director of chapter affairs
Space Systems Design Club - engineer council representative and secretary
MULTIPLE representations and presentations. also won chapter awards and grants for many

Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics (CUWiP)
APS plasma physics conference - presented at expo
Engineer’s Week
SpaceVision
Fall and Spring research symposium
APS April Meeting
Manager for SPS zone

Special Bonus Points:
Famous recommender for LIGO work (forbes 30 under 30!!!)
Many connections
Took many grad classes and got A in all

Had a difficult second year (reasons explained in my statement)
first person in my family to go to grad school
Mostly applying to Astro programs unless stated otherwise
Interested in gravitational waves, black holes, galactic astronomy and cosmology

Applying to Where:

CANADA:
UToronto -

USA:
Caltech -
Columbia -
UFlorida -
Cornell -
Northwestern -
Maryland -
MIT - physics -
Stanford - physics -
UWash-
Penn State -
UIUC -
Rochester Tech -
UCLA -
Uof Arizona -
Boston Uni -
John Hopkins -
Harvard -
Vanderbilt -
LSU - physics -
UPenn -
Princeton -
UWisconsin-Madison -
Darthmouth -
yale -

bottomtier

Post by bottomtier » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:44 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large US state school, Top 40 in Physics
Major(s): Astrophysics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.66
Overall GPA: 3.75 (3.81 transfer)
Length of Degree: 3 at CCs + 2 at Uni: 5 for B.S.
Position in Class: high average probably
Type of Student: Asian American Female

GRE Scores: None of these matter since no school will take them
Q: 162 (78th)
V: 161 (88th)
W: 5 (92nd)
P: did not waste my money

Research Experience: Very weak. I only started my undergrad senior thesis research 6 months ago with 6 months left. In the field of solar/dark matter astrophysics. Results will be published as 1st author, so there's that. No conferences, talks, or posters. Only two in-person quarters at university before COVID + mostly online community college is a rough life.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A couple Dean's Lists, Merit Scholarships, a couple military awards.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: No, but I worked full time during CC and work 24-32 hours a week during Uni in an unrelated field and volunteer(ed) at several animal shelters.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Random: One of the first female troops to train as infantry. Leadership: Assistant Commander at last military duty station.

Special Bonus Points: Female, Military Veteran.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: My LORs will be weak. My research experience is weak. Prepare for RED.

Applying to Where: All experimental Astrophysics, 2nd choice experimental Biophysics

Caltech
UCSB
UCB
Stanford
UCSC
UCD

(Gee, I wonder what state I live in.) No acceptances are no problem for me. Just needed to try but really dropped the ball with scrambling together some applications this late. Will be going for many, many Master's programs in the Spring if rejected by all.

Borscht

Post by Borscht » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:41 pm

Undergrad Institution: Respected US private college, known for physics.
Major(s):Physics, Math
Minor(s):CS
GPA in Major: 3.80
Overall GPA: 3.74
Length of Degree: (Are you graduating after 3, 4, or 5 years?) 2+3
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?) Currently, probably, closer to the top.
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) DWM

GRE Scores: Did not take

Research Experience: 2 semesters of numerical simulations in soft matter. Publication possible before graduation, but not before application deadline. One semester of paid biophysics computational research at home institution. No publication yet.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Merit based scholarships, Dean's list every semester, honor societies.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Undergrad TA . Mentoring, tutoring for several years. Active at science outreach.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Advanced in several computer languages. First generation college student.

Applying to :
All PhD physics

UMD -
OSU -
Boston U -
Stony Brook-
Penn State-
Carnegie Mellon -
Pittsburgh -
U of Rochester-
Brandeis -
CUNY
Tufts -
UMass Amherst-
Last edited by Borscht on Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Shachath_

Post by Shachath_ » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:13 am

Best wishes to everyone! Let's get this awful process out of the way and move on to do bigger and better things!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Undergrad Institution: R1 Large state school - (US. News ~#50 Physics and ~#100 National Universities)
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.97
Overall GPA: 3.91
Position in Class: Department does not rank
Type of Student: Domestic Asian Male

GRE Scores: Did not take general or physics.

Research Experience:
2 academic years part-time, 1 summer full time, and 1 SULI internship (summer full-time) working with the same professor doing computational soft matter/materials science. Also got a first author (1/2) publication in a mid-tier journal from this just in time for all applications. Also planned to present at APS March 2020, but that was canceled last minute. Still got the abstract and presentation slides posted on the APS bulletin though.

1 additional semester (will be continuing full-time throughout spring semester and summer) doing computational biophysics.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list every semester, Phi Beta Kappa, and some minor department scholarships/recognitions.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Officer for the chess club and won a couple of university and state-level tournaments?

One letter writer did a post-doc at Rice, so better odds there perhaps? Also, have experimental collaborators at UChicago, but I don't think that helps much other than padding my SOP with research interests.

Took a handful of Bio, Chem, and Comp Sci classes to help cushion myself since I'm jumping into different departments. Took/will take a handful of grad courses, but only relevant ones were mentioned in some of my SOPs since they won't show up on submitted unofficial transcripts.

Only had 2 research/PI letters with the third being a professor for an upper-level core physics course.

Also made sure to include my publication and posters in all applications using any available "extra materials", "portfolio", or just emailing attachments to admission coordinator options.

Applying to Where (Wide array of departments but everything was based on research/advisor match):

My interests and experiences are in a very interdisciplinary field, and one of my letter writers said that physics tended to be quite more difficult to get accepted into, so let's see how switching from physics to engineering works out. The list is a little reach heavy, but am applying knowing I have the option of guaranteed direct admit with funding to my current PI at my undergrad institution.

Super Reach:
Princeton (Chemical & Biological Engineering)
UChicago (Molecular Engineering)
UPenn (Physics)
Columbia (Chemical Physics)
Northwestern (Materials Science & Engineering)

Reach:
UIUC (Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering) - ACCEPTED for PhD via email Dec. 21 $31k TA/RA 11 months + $3k Fellowship
Rice University (Physics)
UMich (Physics)
WashU St. Louis (Biophysics) - Invited for interview Dec. 18 scheduled Jan. 29
Stony Brook (Physics)

Safe:
Lehigh University (Chemical & Biological Engineering)
Last edited by Shachath_ on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 15 times in total.

henr7110

Post by henr7110 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Undergrad Institution: foreign, rank top 50 in physics, top 30 in bio sciences
Major(s): Nanoscience
GPA in Major: 4
Overall GPA: 4
Length of Degree: 5 years

TOEFL: (R: 30, L: 30, S: 30, W: 28)

Research Experience: Statistics in biophysics.
One 1st author paper accepted for review in a good journal, one 4th author published in decent journal and two 3rd author manuscripts in preparation.
Three month project doing machine learning and statistics at famous US university with well known biophysicist
Several side-projects on x-ray scattering, computational chemistry and developmental biology

1 Poster award at local mini-conference
1 Graduate scholarship nation-specific
(won a nation-wide research competition in high-school)

1/2 year TA in electrodynamics,
1 year lab assistant in biophysics lab(s)

Special Bonus Points:
Got a good recommendation from the PI at my project at the US university he is quite famous in the bio sciences.

Biggest concern/weak point:
I have a background in computational and statistical biophysics but wish to do more mathematics-based theoretical biophysics.
My recommenders where 1 biochemist (doing biophysics), 1 theoretical physicist (doing biophysics and a biologist (doing biophysics).
Due to my diverse background I am in doubt as to wether I have enough theoretical track-record for a physics department, but lets see.

Applying to Where:
High risk high reward. If I do not get in I will not be heart-broken. Then it was at least worth a shot :D

MIT - Physics -
Stanford - Applied Physics -
Princeton - Physics -
Caltech - Physics -
UC Berkeley - Physics -
Harvard - Physics -

cheerfulsquirrel

Post by cheerfulsquirrel » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts school
BS Major(s): Physics, Math, Philosophy
Minor(s): CS, Astronomy
GPA in Major: 3.95
Overall GPA: 3.94

MS Major(s): Math
Overall GPA: 4.0
Length of Degree: 1 (accelerated program)

Position in Class: near top?

Research Experience: 2 years of full-time equivalent research experience across 4 projects all at home institution:
14 months FTE - computational condensed matter, 1st author paper under review at saucy journal
3 months FTE - machine learning applied to astronomy, 4th author in APJ
4 months FTE - astronomy, 1st author on small note in RNAAS
5+ months FTE - quantum foundations, computational and theory, paper in prep (1st, mentioned on CV and SOP, maybe by letter writer)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A few merit-based scholarships, magna cum laude (no summa at my uni), very competitive undergraduate research grant for 1 summer, funding from adviser for 2 other summers

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: a couple of years between: TA for physics + math, tutor for math, study group leader for physics w/ calc intro series.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: all of my code is available on Github, linked to this in SOP along with linking to papers. I think having easy access to my code might help considering that I'm applying for computational programs. A few talks and posters.

Special Bonus Points: first-generation, grew up poor, took a gap year in order to save before undergraduate due to lack of parental support. This might help? Tons of grad classes in math, with a focus on computational and physics adjacent subjects.

Applying to Where: All for computational/theoretical astrophysics/cosmology
Harvard Astronomy
Princeton Astrophysical Sciences
Columbia Astronomy
Yale Physics
Cornell Astronomy
Stanford Physics
UIUC Astronomy
CU Boulder Physics
UC Berkley Physics
MIT Physics
UW Astronomy
Georgia Tech Physics

Good luck everyone, stay sane<3

justanotherstudent

Post by justanotherstudent » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:36 am

Undergrad Institution: Liberal Arts College (Top 20)
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.95
Position in Class: Top 5%
Type of Student: domestic white female

GRE Scores:
Verbal: 170 (99th percentile)
Quantitative: 166 (87th percentile)
Writing: 4.5 (80th percentile)
PGRE: 830 (71st percentile)
Yes, I'm submitting scores to schools that give the option. I studied too freaking hard for that mediocre PGRE score not to.

Research Experience:
- 1 summer @ national lab (AMO - experimental)
- 1 REU at university (AMO - experimental)
- 4 years + 1 summer at home institution; 2 publications, one first author; several poster presentations; thesis (AMO - experimental)
- 6 months @ national lab (AMO - computational)
- 2 years as R&D optical engineer

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Highest Honors (for thesis), a few academic awards at home institution

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored for a couple of years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nope

Special Bonus Points: Connections to a couple universities, but not my top choice ones

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I graduated 2.5 years ago and currently work as an engineer. Mostly posting here because it's hard to find anyone with a similar profile, so if anyone out there has a liberal arts college degree + random industry experience, this is for you.

Applying to Where:

UC Berkeley - AMO experiment
MIT - AMO experiment
CU Boulder - AMO experiment
Stanford - AMO experiment
UCLA - AMO experiment
UW Seattle - AMO experiment
UC Irvine - AMO experiment
USC - AMO experiment
University of Arizona - AMO experiment
UT Austin - AMO experiment

coastalsunset

Post by coastalsunset » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:54 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small, STEM-focused school (US)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.86
Position in Class: N/A

GRE Scores:
Verbal: 170 (99th percentile)
Quantitative: 168 (92nd percentile)
Writing: 5.0 (92nd percentile)
PGRE: 850 (74th percentile)
Took these 2+ years ago, submitting to a few schools since I have them

Research Experience:
2.5 years of experimental soft matter research (resulted in one nth-author paper in a good journal, and a senior thesis project)
1 summer of experimental quantum info research
1 summer of computer science research

Astronaut Scholarship
International math modeling contest winner
A few college/department scholarships and awards

3 years of tutoring/grading courses in physics/math/CS
2 years of student government
2 terms of volunteer-teaching courses in prisons
Post-grad: 1.5 years at a software company

"Special" Bonus Points: female and LGBTQ (mentioned in personal history/diversity statements for some schools)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've been working in industry (tech) since I finished college in mid-2019, so that could either be a pro or a con!

Applying to Where: all for experimental hard/soft condensed matter or biophysics

University of British Columbia - Physics (Masters) - ???
Colorado School of Mines - Physics (PhD) - ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email + $27k TA (Jan 19)
New York University - Physics (PhD) - ???
Georgia Tech - Physics (PhD) - ???
Northwestern University - Applied Physics (PhD) - ???
University of Washington - Physics (PhD) - ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email + 1.5k Fellowship + $22k TA (Jan 12)
University of Pennsylvania - Physics (PhD) - Interview
University of Chicago - Physics (PhD) - ???
MIT - Physics (PhD) - ???

Fellowship applications:
NSF GRFP - soft matter physics - ???
Hertz Foundation Fellowship - got to the first round of interviews, interview went meh - ???

I found these threads helpful when I was deciding whether/where to apply; will update once results roll in.
Last edited by coastalsunset on Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gmirg

Post by gmirg » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Undergrad Institution: California school - good/high reputation in physics
Major(s): Physics and Mathematics
GPA in Major: 3.93 (physics) and 3.98 (math)
Overall GPA: 3.94
Position in Class: top (~2%)
Type of Student: International

Graduate Institution: Intense theoretical physics masters program (one of the best in the world).
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: N/A
Overall GPA: N/A
Length of Degree: 1 year (M.Sc)
Position in Class: N/A

Research Experience:
- 1 year theory experience in holography/quantum info in undergrad
- 1 year theory experience in AdS/CFT in undergrad, resulted in Honors thesis and paper (to appear)
- 1 summer research in a top-school in the UK, resulted in one presentation
- 1 grad school research, resulted in paper (to appear)
- No publications at the time of applying, but two papers are to appear soon (hopefully before Jan) and I mentioned it in the app.

- 1 big scholarship
- 2 small scholarships
- 3 departmental awards
- highest honors and honors at graduation
- dean's List.

Special Bonus Points: lots of (very advanced) grad classes from my masters. 2 of my referees are world leading experts in the field I am applying for--they have many connections.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I sent 3+ writing samples from small projects/thesis which are related to research field I am applying for. Hopefully I get to send the 2 papers I am working on before January.

Applying to Where: all PhD in hep theory/strings/quantum info

Stanford
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara
MIT
Harvard
Princeton
University of Chicago
Brandeis University
University of British Columbia
Cambridge
Oxford

ztruwk

Post by ztruwk » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:12 pm

Undergrad Institution: big private school in US, top 40 in physics
Major(s): physics and film production
GPA in Major: 3.6
Position in Class: above average

Grad institution: Perimeter PSI master's

PGRE: 830, only taken by UBC

Research Experience: ~18 months full time post-bac in quantum metrology (mostly theory). Have a nearly complete manuscript on this research (first-author) that I submitted with all my applications. Also, in the early stages of master's research in black hole thermodynamics

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Sigma Pi Sigma, master's scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: tutor for a year in undergrad, two mentorship positions, one volunteer outreach position

Special Bonus Points:

Applying to:
(all for hep-th, quantum information in quantum gravity)

British Columbia
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara
Harvard
MIT

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:56 am

Undergrad Institution: Well-reputed university in Asia.
Master's program institution: University of Tokyo (QS ranked 10th in physics, ranked 19th in Materials Science)
Minor(s): Nanoscience, Engineering Materials (UG only)
Overall GPA:4.65/5
Master's GPA: no official GPA, but transcript is all As.
Length of Degree: 4 years + 2 years
Position in Class: top

GRE Scores :
Q:N/A
V:N/A
W:N/A
P: 980 (95%)

TOEFL: N/A (applied only where my UG degree would exempt me)

Research Experience

2 computational projects on graphene and hydrogen defects on semiconductors. Got co-first author and second author in these.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean’s List, Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher Prize

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 3 years as semiconductor engineer, bonded to work as part of financing my undergrad degree.

Physics Club President. Helped organizing major olympiad during my tenure.
Resident Cluster Leader at my dormitory.

Special Bonus Points:
The more I grew up the more I realize I am not so special. Especially as COVID-19 took my pGRE scores which would have been a plus.

Tried to make it simpler this year. Looking back on my previous apps, it seems that some components weren't so relevant after all.

Applying to Where:

Harvard - Applied Physics - computational materials science work
MIT – Physics - ab initio CMT
Stanford – Materials Science
Caltech – Applied Physics - Ab initio materials science - can use my PGRE
Yale – Applied Physics - quantum error correction / quantum materials - can use my PGRE

This may be the final roll of the dice to get that top dreams.
If I don't get in, I will be considering my options inside and outside academia.

MikeTheSurfer

Post by MikeTheSurfer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:34 pm

Undergrad Institution: one of the top UK schools
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: N/A
Overall GPA: N/A
Position in Class: very near Top

Research Experience: some papers in reputable journals including 1/3 in quantum mechanics, 1/2 biophysics, 3/4 machine learning (undergrad journal though) + 1/2 preprint in classical mechanics. On top of this, unpublished summer research in experimental physics and for my senior thesis I do project in CMT. Several research presentations during conferences or seminars.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: some research scholarships and other awards at the uni; some high school awards;

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: tutoring experience in maths and physics.

Special Bonus Points: In my final year I take plenty of grad classes in the intended field of study and related ones. I expect strong reference letters.

Applying to (all CMT):
UIUC
Harvard
Princeton
MIT
Stanford
UCSB
UC Berkeley
Yale
Cornell
Caltech
U. Chicago

Let's see how it goes! Good luck to everyone :)

physicswannabe

Post by physicswannabe » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:33 pm

Undergrad Institution: University of Colorado Boulder
Major(s): Physics and Astrophysics
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.2
Length of Degree: 3
Position in Class: Above average
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores: I took the GREs with the intent of retaking for better scores.. then COVID- didn't submit my scores but: something like ~70th percentile for PGRE

Research Experience:
1) One year of observational astronomy remotely controlling a telescope.
2) One year electrical engineering photonics research project with a distinguished faculty member

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Made Dean's list my last three semesters

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Online Tutor

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)
I took first year grad quantum, an upper div grad general relativity course where I had a pretty insane final project, intermediate mathematical physics. I also have a connection to a professor who's generally pretty well known in quantum information science/AMO physics that worked with a Nobel laureate at the time of their Nobel prize win.

There's a pretty strong upward trend in terms of all of my grades-- I've always done pretty well in my math/physics courses, but performed exceptionally well my final two years. I had a surgery that put be out of class my final semester so I have a W and a bunch of Bs for that semester, but explained the situation in a supplemental paper.

Also, I graduated in Winter 2019. I took a year off to get research experience but then COVID. I filled the time with doing online tutoring. Hopefully this discrepancy doesn't kill my apps. :?

Applying to Where:
For Quantum Information Sciences and AMO research except for the few where I note any differences.

Super reach:
MIT - Sent Dec 15th
Caltech - Sent Dec 15th

Reach:
UCSB - Sent Dec 15th
Michigan Ann Arbor - Sent Dec 15th
UPenn - quantum matter - Sent Dec 15th
CU Boulder - Sent Dec 15th

Less reach:
University of Wisconsin Madison - They let you apply to multiple programs at once so I also applied for MS in nuclear engineering - Sent Dec 15th
Johns Hopkins - Sent Dec 15th
Georgia tech experimental - BEC - Sent Dec 30th
Penn State University - Due Jan 15

Match:
Vanderbilt - AMO - Sent Dec 30th
University of Oregon - QIS - Due Jan 15
Virginia tech - experimental condensed matter physics - Sent Dec 30th
University of Southern California - Sent Dec 30th
Colorado school of mines - quantum engineering - Sent Dec 15th
UCSD - Sent Dec 15th

Safety:

Montana state university - Quantum systems Due jan 10th
Last edited by physicswannabe on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ElFrijolitoBailarin

Post by ElFrijolitoBailarin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts school. No reputation in physics. Physics Dept. is 4 professors :lol:
Major(s): Physics, Math, CS
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 4.00
Overall GPA: 4.00
Length of Degree: 3.5 years (December graduation)
Type of Student: Domestic hispanic.
Research Experience:
2+ years in theoretical/computational AMO. Advisor is very well known in field. 3 posters and 3 oral presentations at several conferences. 2nd author on two papers, one in PRA and one in PRL.
3+ years on computational particle physics on a big department collaboration, ~1 year with other collaboration in same field. ~5 posters, 3 talks.
1 REU at UChicago in condensed matter physics, well known advisor in field.
Research for capstone projects in CS and math also.

• Summa Cum Laude (2020)
• President’s List (Fall 2017 to Fall 2020)
• Department award (Spring 2020)
• SIMIODE Differential Equation Modeling Challenge 2nd Place (Fall 2019)
• University Physics Prize (Scholarship based on physics test result for admission)(2017)

Worked as private tutor for AP physics, calc and stats.

I can ride a unicycle!! WoWoW

Special Bonus Points: Born in Mexico? Hola Señorita como esta?

Applying to Where: All Physics for QI/QC except otherwise indicated. I have no safeties :? :shock: :o
SUPER REACH:
MIT
UChicago
Stanford (Applied Physics)
Caltech (Applied Physics)
UCBerkeley

REACH:
UofI Urbana-Champaign
UCBoulder
UofMichigan Ann Arbor
UT-Austin
U-Madison Wisconsin
UCLA
Carnegie Mellon
Rice
Stony Brook (SUNY)
Ohio State

Ekotar

Post by Ekotar » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:58 pm

Undergrad Institution: Highly ranked public school with elite reputation in physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.78
Overall GPA: 3.80 (Post-transfer) 3.68 (pre-transfer)
Position in Class: top 20% at college level, top 15% in major.
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE Scores: I didn't get to submit them anywhere, but 170Q/169V/5.0AWA from January

Research Experience: an REU in radiative counting/spectroscopy, 2 years (Sept 2019-Present) at national lab in high voltage studies of Liquid Xenon

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing major, just dean's list type stuff

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Taught math at my CC, currently working on a team that builds remote access versions of teaching experiments in response to covid19 (rec letter for this calls me a "rockstar" multiple times), also admin a student electronics makerspace

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: took graduate QFT, run my own business, a few A+'s.

Special Bonus Points: my thesis supervisor is a very big deal in my subfield, has been spokesperson of international collaborations

Applying to Where:

Stanford - Physics - Dark Matter Detection/Neutrinos
Harvard - Physics - Neutrinos
Yale - Physics - Neutrinos
MIT - Physics - Dark Matter Detection/Neutrinos
CalTech - Physics - General Particle/Neutrinos
Brown - Physics - Dark Matter Detection/Neutrinos
Maryland - Physics - Dark Matter Detection/Neutrinos
UCLA - Physics - Dark Matter Detection/Neutrinos
UCSB - Physics - Dark Matter Detection/Neutrinos
Chicago - Physics - Dark Matter Detection/Neutrinos

Also applied to Knight Hennessy Scholars at Stanford.

dance_magic_dance

Post by dance_magic_dance » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:11 pm

Undergrad Institution: big public school - good reputation in physics
Major(s): physics and applied math
GPA in Major: 3.778
Overall GPA: 3.884
Position in Class: pretty good - maybe near top

GRE Scores:
Q: 168 (92%)
V: 164 (94%)
W: 5 (92%)

Research Experience: 1 year of particle physics at home institution (1 2nd author publication), 1 semester abroad at CERN (1 plenary talk at biannual conference), 1 more year of particle physics at home institution (1 nth author publication), 1 renewable energy internship (1 1st-author conference paper in prep), and 8 months of data-driven COVID modeling* (1 2nd author publication; another in prep; 1 plenary talk at COVID conference)

*The COVID modeling came by surprise. I was (and am) planning to transition into renewable energy, hence the internship. However, this year had other plans.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 3 departmental scholarships, 1 honors program academic award, 1 particle physics collaboration research grant, COVID conference student scholarship, Goldwater Scholar 2020

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: not much - worked as an instructor at a math summer camp for 2 months (2019)

Special Bonus Points: female

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I'm changing fields from particle physics to electrical engineering/mechanical engineering/applied physics, all for renewable energy. Applied physics isn't as big of a jump, but I have to justify my change in interests.

Applying to Where:

NYU - ECE - Energy Systems, Smart Grids and Power Electronics (Dec. 14: Informational Zoom call)
Columbia - Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics - Applied Physics
Cornell - Applied Physics - Renewable Energy
Princeton - EE - Applied Physics/Energy and the Environment (Jan. 11: Informational Zoom call)
Harvard - Applied Physics - Materials and Photonics
MIT - EECS - Applied Physics and Devices
UC Berkeley - Applied Science and Technology - Renewable Energy
Stanford - Applied Physics - Condensed Matter
Caltech - Applied Physics - Photonics, Solids and Materials, Computational Physics (Jan. 23: Interview)
UCSB - ECE - Control Systems (Jan. 15: Informational Zoom call) - ACCEPTED Jan. 15 via email to check portal
UCLA - Physics - Condensed Matter
UIUC - MechSE - Applied Physics, Energy and Environment
University of Michigan - Applied Physics - Energy Systems
University of Chicago - Physics - Condensed Matter and Molecular Engineering
CU Boulder - Physics - Renewable Energy
Penn - Physics - Condensed Matter (Jan. 15: Informational Zoom call)
Last edited by dance_magic_dance on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PretzelE

Post by PretzelE » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:00 pm

Undergrad Institution: Big 10 School
Major(s): Physics, Astronomy & Astrophysics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.45
Overall GPA: 3.37. Would've been around 3.6, but had a pretty rough freshman year
Position in Class: not tracked at school

GRE Scores: didn't take it (the one good thing to come from Covid)

Research Experience:

2.5 years studying terahertz spectroscopy with various levels of devotion/involvement. Led to an invitation for an oral presentation at APS March Meeting 2020, but that was cancelled due to COVID. Invited to present at MM 2021, did present at the Gulf Coast Undergraduate Symposium and a department colloquium. Two publications pending-- one first author, one buried in the author list.

-Dean's list in most semesters
-A few research fellowships from the University Office of Undergraduate Research
-A pair of departmental scholarships/awards
-Large academic scholarships

-Worked at NanoSystems Lab for two years
-Resident Advisor
-Teaching assistant for intro astronomy labs
-some STEM volunteering stuff
-chair of leadership committee for astro department

Special Bonus Points:
-Took three graduate classes (biophysics, condensed matter, and computational physics)
-First-generation student, low income
-Worked throughout college in addition to double major
-One of the papers I will be on was a collaboration between Colorado State and USC

Significant upward trend after freshman year. Managed to finish with strong grades after catching COVID the week of midterms this fall, if that counts for anything.

Applying to Where: All PhD. Not really sure what's gonna be reach or "safety," so I'm more or less just casting a wide net and hoping for a success somewhere :?

Ohio State (CME)
UC Santa Barbara (CME)
Rice (applied physics / CME) ACCEPTED via informal email 1/14
Rensselaer (CME)
UC Santa Cruz (CME)
Virginia Tech (CME)
Pittsburgh (CME)
Texas A&M (applied physics / AMO)
CUNY (Photonics track)
Case Western
Penn State (CME)

SUPER relieved to have an acceptance!! Rice was my #1 choice, so unless an offer from another school blows me away, I'm pretty much set!
Last edited by PretzelE on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.

hollow20

Post by hollow20 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:25 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top 20 private research university
Major(s): Physics, Math
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.51
Overall GPA: 3.69
Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores: lol nope

Research Experience: 3 years in experimental nuclear physics, 1 co-authored paper and some smaller posters. 1 REU with a national conference poster. 1 year in experimental particle physics/machine learning, paper in preparation now but won't be ready in time for graduate school decisions. Currently working on senior thesis.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Physics scholarship, competitive study abroad position, Dean's List 2x, member in 2 honors programs, and some smaller scholarships and grants.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: SPS officer for 3 years, TA for 2 years, Lab Assistant for 6 months.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: nah not really

Special Bonus Points: Woman in Physics whoop whoop! Also taking an advanced physics concentration

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: first generation graduate student? had to work a lot to pay for school

Applying to Where: All for experimental nuclear physics Ph.D., unless otherwise noted.

Duke
Michigan State
Yale
University of Michigan - Experimental Particle Physics
University of Virginia
UIUC
Texas A&M
University of Kansas

danielsgrun

Post by danielsgrun » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:34 am

Undergrad Institution: Usually among top 5 in Brazil
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: 9/10
Overall GPA: 9/10
Position in Class: 3/11

Grad Institution: same as undergrad
Master's: Physics
GPA: A in every class (on a scale from A to D, A being the best grade)
Length of Degree: usually 2 years, I'll take 2.5 years
Position in Class: unknown

TOELF: (R: 30, L: 29, S: 25, W: 23)

Research Experience:

i) Undergrad:

- more than 1 year in Extragalactic Astrophysics, no publications;
- 1 year in Quantum Integrability and Mathematical Physics: no publications;

ii) Grad:

- 2 years in Quantum Integrability / theoretical AMO: 1 paper submitted, 1 paper to be submitted soon;

- more than 2 years of "standard" research scholarship for undergrads (CNPq);
- "outstanding prize" for the presentation of my research in a Seminar for Undergraduates;
- ranked 2nd on the Master's Entrance Exam (EUF) at my University;
- research fellowship for master's students, from Universität Innsbruck.

- tutoring activities as an undergraduate, "Teaching Training Program" as a grad student;
- engaged in several advanced schools, workshops and conferences (some of which abroad);
- poster and oral presentations on research outputs.

Special Bonus Points:

Any Other Info That Shows Up on Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to (all experimental AMO):
- UChicago: Molecular Engineering
- Rice: Physics
- Columbia: Physics
- UW-Madison: Physics
- UAlberta: Physics (Dec. 21: ACCEPTED for PhD via website/email + CAD 29k stipend + CAD 3k Fellowship for QUANTA Project on first year)

I believe I should have applied to more schools, but let's see what happens. Good luck everyone! :D
Last edited by danielsgrun on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightzeit

Post by Nightzeit » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:00 pm

Undergrad Institution: State school known for teaching and health science. Very small physics program.
Minor(s): Mathematics
GPA in Major: 3.75 (currently)
Overall GPA: 3.78 (currently)
Position in Class: We don't do numbers, but compared to other physics majors, I'm at the top (not necessarily #1, but well in the top group).
Type of Student: disabled domestic white female

Research Experience: two independent projects, each in a separate unsolved problem in mathematics, anticipating these to someday evolve into papers. One I did a presentation on. I have also done a few other less involved/less concrete independent projects that I won't detail into.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 3 academic-related scholarships, dean's list, nothing super extraordinary worth mentioning specifically

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: disabled; unable to legally collect income. Was a member of our SPS.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: came up with an idea for something that could be constructed to potentially eliminate an invasive species. Proposed the solution, but was told it was infeasible to execute at that point in time. This is mentioned in my CV. In general, my volunteer work was all outreach related and at least loosely related to science/physics.

Special Bonus Points: first generation college student. Both of my parents dropped out of high school/vo-tech with a GED, but this isn't apparent on all applications. Have a grant that will pay for part of grad school.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: one of my recommenders had a late latter to several schools.

Applying to Where: all for theoretical cosmology, leaning preference for gravitational/relativity theory over the other things cosmology gets paired with.

(listed in no particular order)

Princeton University
Cornell University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Pennsylvania State University
Lehigh University
Tufts University

Taking a gap year isn't out of the question.

School - Department - Research Interest Feb. 28: (WILL ATTEND for Ph.D. Accepted via website/email + $Xk Fellowship + $XXk/X month TA)
School - Department - Research Interest (Feb. 14: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email + $Xk Fellowship + $XXk/X month TA)
School - Department - Research Interest (Feb. 23: Rejected via website/email)

Senorstuimus

Post by Senorstuimus » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 Physics School in US - Located in California
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.33. Had a few injuries both sophomore and junior year than impacted it

GRE Scores: Nope.

Research Experience:

2.5 years of AMO, Laser Photonics, and microwave photonics at small R&D company in California. Worked directly on these project with tangible research experience in developing test plans as well as executing them. Develop and conducted experiments directly related to project goals. 3 conference proceedings (2 in the works now)

Unfortunately, no undergraduate research due to ROTC time commitment. Hopefully this wont kill my app

-Dean's list one quarter

-Project manager for 5 projects at small R&D company. While project manager, still worked on a lot of research involved.
-US Army reserve platoon leader, direct leadership experience

Special Bonus Points:
-US Army officer

Applying to Where: All for experimental AMO, Applied Physics, or ECE

UC Santa Barbara
UC Berkeley
UC Irvine
UC Los Angeles
UC San Diego
Stanford
Yale
Caltech
University of Michigan
University of Washington
University of Colorado Boulder
UNC
Duke

muryelgp

Post by muryelgp » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 South America (Brazil)
GPA in Major: 7.5/10

Undergrad Institution: Same as Undergrad
Minor: Astrophysics
GPA in Major: 8.8/10
Length of Degree: 2 years

Type of Student: International Male

TOEFL: (R: 30, L: 30, S: 23, W: 23)

Research Experience: 3 Years during undergrad (part-time), 2 year during Master's (almost full-time), all in Extragalactic Astrophysics. 2 papers submitted to the MNRAS. Several Poster presentations and talks. Several advanced schools and conferences. +30h telescope observations experience.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Undergrad research scholarship for 3 years, Master's scholarship (both from '''Brazilian NSF''').

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for one semester. Some outreach activities.

Special Bonus Points: Some famous collaborators and strong LoR's! Know researcher in most institutions where I've applied, I've contacted several POI's and got very good feedback from them (several were able to get a fee waiver for me).

Applying to Where: USA, Canada and the Netherlands (Great Astro departments there), all for Astro programs or Astro research in Physics programs. (per country, from the 'dream' ones to more 'safe' ones):

Netherlands:
Leiden Observatory - Astronomy - interview requested 02/15
Groningen - Astronomy
Amsterdam - Astronomy
Utrecht - Physics (GW)
Amsterdam - Physics (Dark Matter)

Canada:
Western Ontario - Astronomy
McMaster - physics

USA:
JHU - Astronomy
Uni Maryland - Astronomy
Penn State - Astronomy
Vanderbilt - physics
Carnegie Mellon - Astronomy
Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) - physics
Kansas - Physics
NMSU - Astronomy
Kentucky - Physics
Oklahoma - Physics
Last edited by muryelgp on Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zantetsuken

Post by zantetsuken » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:17 pm

Undergrad Institution: (Small private tech school, not well-known in physics)
Major(s): Computer Science, Game Development
Minor(s): none
GPA in Major: 3.92 (technically not reported on transcript)
Overall GPA: 3.94 (technically not reported on transcript)
Position in Class: not reported, but ~top
Type of Student: domestic white male

GRE Scores: (I submitted to some schools that allowed it)
Q: 166
V: 165
W: 5

Postbac Institution: Large public university, well-known for physics+astro
Overall GPA: 3.99
13 physics/math/astro classes

Research Experience:

1) Condensed matter experimental research with a lecturer at the postbac school for a little over a year. Two conferences, no paper. Not in my chosen field.

2) Theoretical astrophysics with a prof at the postbac school for a little under a year (ongoing). Abstract submitted for conference and paper-writing in progress (2nd author). This is in my field.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: At my undergrad comp sci school I received a lot of local awards (top student in major, etc). Nothing in physics; nothing national scale.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked at a large tech company as a software engineer between undergrad and postbac for >5 years. Some teaching experience from a summer job while an undergrad.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: not sure if I sold my time in the tech industry well, but I did cool stuff there.

Special Bonus Points: 2 LOR from research supervisors (don't know strength) and 1 LOR from tech manager that should be as strong as a non-physicist LOR can be (?)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: no

Applying to Where:

MIT - Physics
Harvard - Astronomy
Harvard - Physics
Princeton - Astrophysics
NYU - Physics
Columbia - Astronomy
U Penn - Physics and Astronomy
Johns Hopkins - Physics and Astronomy
Yale - Astronomy
University of Maryland - Astronomy
U Pittsburgh - Physics and Astronomy
Stony Brook - Physics and Astronomy

(My stated interests was always a blend of Cosmology and Astro-particle-pheno stuff, open to theory and observation)

Borscht

Post by Borscht » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:54 pm

Undergrad Institution: Respected US private college, known for physics.
Major(s):Physics, Math
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.80
Overall GPA: 3.74
Length of Degree: (Are you graduating after 3, 4, or 5 years?) 2+3
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?) Currently, probably, closer to the top.
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) DWM

GRE Scores: Did not take

Research Experience: 2 semesters of numerical hydrodynamics simulation. Good results and references coming out of it. Publication possible before graduation, but not before application deadline. One semester of paid biophysics computational research at home institution. No publication yet.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Merit based scholarships, Dean's list every semester, honor societies.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:Undergrad. Research assistant. Undergrad TA . Mentoring, tutoring for several years. Active at science outreach.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Advanced in several computer languages and HPC.

Applying to :
All PhD, physics
UMD -
OSU -
UCSD
Boston U -
Stony Brook-
Penn State-
Carnegie Mellon -
U of Rochester-
CUNY -

surfacespider

Post by surfacespider » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large US state school top 50
Major(s): Physics, Math
GPA in Major: 3.6 physics. 3.4 ish math (3.5 in physics if you exclude research classes i had to take to work with my prof)
Overall GPA: 3.6
Length of Degree: 3.5 years
Position in Class: no idea

GRE Scores: NO GRE REQUIRED FOR THIS YEAR (WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED).
took a year off after graduation to prepare for this then got cancelled lmao

Research Experience: 2.5 years doing biophysics research at my school. 1 reu kinda related to biophysics. 1 internship in engineering between hs and college. no publications

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: just typical deans list semester honors. research scholarship from my university nothing major

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: undergrad lab ta for one semester

Special Bonus Points: main recommender who i worked with is an up and comer seems to know lots of people. one grad class. mixed race. LSAMP for 2 years

Applying to Where: all of this is for biophysics research mix of programs because some biophysics programs are more biochem than physics. I applied to so many because I got fee waivers to most of these universities really look into these. i got one just because of the school i went to.

Berkeley - biophysics
Johns Hopkins - biophysics
UCSD - biophysics
UCSF - biophysics
Cornell - physics
u chicago - physics
NYU - physics
UPenn - physics
michigan - physics
harvard - physics
princeton - physics
stanford - physics
caltech - physics
u oregon - physics

letmeinplease

Post by letmeinplease » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Bachelor's Institution: Ivy League w/ good physics
Major: Astrophysics
GPA in Major: (unofficial) 3.65
Overall GPA: 3.18
Length of Degree: 4 Years

Master's Institution: Top 10 (?) in UK
Major: Theoretical Physics
GPA in Major: Nothing yet
Overall GPA: Nothing yet
Length of Degree: 1 Year

Type of Student: British White Male, First-Generation College Student, Low-Income Background

GRE Scores: Thank you COVID?

Research Experience (consecutively):
1 ) ~2.5 Years in Bachelor's Institution - Astrophysics and Cosmology research (1 first authored publication, 1 nth authored publication)
2 ) 3 Months in Master's Institution - research in Theoretical Astrophysics.

Nothing really :/

Higher education outreach activities, research assistant every summer during undergrad.

Bonus Points: (Hopefully) good recommendations from top (famous?) people in the field.

Applying to Where:

This is my second time applying. 15 rejections last year (hence the masters degree). Wish me luck, and good luck to all.

UK:
Cambridge - Astronomy
Oxford - Astrophysics
Kings College London - Theoretical Cosmology
Notthingham - Cosmology
Edinburgh - Astronomy
Queen Mary London - Astronomy
Durham University - Astronomy and Astrophysics
Imperial College London - Astrophysics
St Andrews - Astronomy
Newcastle - Cosmology
UCL - Astrophysics
Sussex - Astronomy

US (shoutout to Columbia, Yale and Harvard for the international fee waiver):
Columbia - Astronomy
NYU - Physics
UPenn - Physics
UChicago - Astronomy
Johns Hopkins - Astronomy (Interview)
Yale - Astronomy
Harvard - Astronomy
Stony Brook - Physics (conc. Astro?)

Europe (non-UK):
Leiden - Astronomy
IMPRS @ Max Planck Astrophysics
Last edited by letmeinplease on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

soniarani

Post by soniarani » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:07 am

Grad Institution: IIT Bombay(MSc Physics); highly reputed
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 8.59/10
Overall GPA:
Length of Degree: 2
Position in Class: average
Type of Student: International Asian female

GRE Scores: Not appeared as covid - 19

TOEFL: (R: 28, L: 30, S: 28, W: 28)

Research Experience: One summer internship of two months at KIT, Germany but outside my current field (particle physics). Two projects at IITB with two profs in my field. Currently doing a remote project with a prof in KTH, Sweden. No publications.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: --

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: --

Special Bonus Points: female? does it help?

Field - Theoretical condensed matter physics, PhD
Applying to Where:

UIUC - [Accepted on 18/01] - Stipend -> 24k USD
University of Wisconsin Madison
Rice University
Georgetown University
Northeastern University
University of Notre Dame
Indiana university
Case western reserve university
Univ of Rochester

This is it for me I guess! I wanted to get into UIUC from the list but never thought I could! First Response from this univ only.
Last edited by soniarani on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodrigo.freundt

Post by rodrigo.freundt » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:30 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top Peruvian university, no reputation in physics.
Major(s): Electronics Engineering
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major: n/a
Overall GPA: n/a
Length of Degree: 5 years, graduated in 6.
Type of Student: International latino male

GRE Scores: n/a

TOEFL: (R: 29, L: 27, S: 23, W: 24)

Research Experience: More than 3 years in radio astronomy instrumentation at home university (undergraduate intern + graduate research assistant). First-authored paper in indexed journal. Poster presentation.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Fully funded undergraduate scholarship. Young Scientist Award.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Currently working as site engineer in a major cosmology experiment in the atacama desert in Chile. TA in Space Science course.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I was granted fee waivers and travel assistantships to attend summer schools and workshops in astronomy/astrophysics.

Special Bonus Points: Some connections. Emailed potential PIs at every school I am applying to, very good response ratio. Two of my recommenders are well-known in experimental cosmology.

Applying to Where: All in experimental CMB and 21cm cosmology (instrumentation/data analysis).

Cornell University - Astronomy
Yale University - Physics
University of Toronto - Astronomy and Astrophysics
McGill University - Physics (MSc)
University of British Columbia - Astronomy (MSc)
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign - Astronomy
University of West Virginia - Electrical Engineering
Washington University St. Louis - Physics
University of Wisconsin-Madison - Physics
University of Minnesota Twin Cities - Physics

astroperson12

Post by astroperson12 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:13 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small state school, not well known.
Major(s): Astronomy
Minor(s): Mathematics and Creative Writing
GPA in Major: 3.58
Overall GPA: 3.61
Community College GPA: 3.10
Total GPA: 3.32
Length of Degree: 3 years + 4 years at community college
Position in Class: Not specified, likely top
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores: n/a

Research Experience: Various projects and labs since August 2018, amateur published astronomy research since February 2018, 2 REUs, and I am a research mentor for community college students who want to do amateur research and publish it. I have 2 papers, one first author

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Very long list. Dean's list, various scholarships, two minority pre-doctoral programs, funded undergraduate researcher

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Various tutoring jobs, mostly in calculus, submission reader for journal, volunteer for major organization in field as outreach ambassador

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Fiction writer with various published works, total of 9 oral research presentations and 4 posters, on two diversity committees, various outreach presentations and projects

Special Bonus Points: One of my REU PIs is fairly famous and reached out to professors letting them know I was applying to programs, researched resources and community colleges at every program I applied to and wrote about how I wanted to use those resources and work with local students.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Got fee waivers for every program, low income, lots of stuff in my diversity statements

Applying to Where:

Donations:
University of Washington- Astronomy
Harvard- Astronomy
University of Chicago - Astronomy(Interview!!!! contacted 1/6)

Reach:
Cornell University - Astronomy
University of Washington- Physics
UT Austin- Astronomy (Interview)
New Mexico State- Astronomy
University of Penn - Physics
Brown - Physics
Wisconsin Maddison - Astronomy
UC Santa Cruz - Astronomy
UCLA - Astronomy
UC Santa Barbara - Physics Astro emphasis
UC San Diego - Physics

Medium reach:
University of New Mexico - Physics
University of Virginia - Astronomy
Last edited by astroperson12 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bahar.physics

Post by bahar.physics » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Undergrad Institution: International university without any fame
Major(s): Physics (Solid State Physics)
GPA in Major: 3.55
Length of Degree: 4.5
Position in Class: 10 out of 50
Master Institution: Small private school
Major: Physics (CME)
GPA: 3.9
Length of Degree: 3
Type of Student: International female

GRE Scores: NO GRE REQUIRED FOR THIS YEAR

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: ) (I will do it soon)

Research Experience: one paper in my undergraduate studies. My master's paper is under preparation.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: First undergraduate student publishing a paper, and offering a master's position in my undergrad university without taking the entrance exam.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Several TA ing, Gradings, and teaching labs.

Special Bonus Points: I took graduate topology courses in the math department while getting my master's. My university does not offer "nice" advanced courses in physics so I attended QFTs and Quantum many-body at another university. Also. I had a work-study on advanced mathematics which is good to know somehow for people who love doing advanced CMT. Also, I had a bunch of self-studies on some topics I wished to learn.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: One of my recommendation letters is from a famous professor from another university (a famous one).

Applying to Where:

Harvard University - Physics - (CMT and CME)
Princeton University - Physic s- ( CMT and CME)
Cornell University - Physics - (CMT)
Yale University - Physics - (CMT, CME, and Particle Physics)
Columbia University - Physics - (CMT)
Stony Brook University- Physics - (CMT)
Boston University - Physics - (CMT and Particle Physics)
JHU (Johns Hopkins University)- Physics - (CMT and Particle Physics)
Brandeis - Physics - (Gravitational quantum)
Umass Amherst - Physics - (CMT)
Brown UNiversity - Physics - (CMT)
UMD - Physics - (CMT)
Last edited by bahar.physics on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rosy

Post by Rosy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:11 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top 50 national university
Major(s): Physics & Astronomy
GPA in Major: 3.96
Overall GPA: 3.87
Position in Class: Don't rank, probably towards the top
Type of Student: Domestic, female

GRE Scores: nope

Research Experience:
2.5 years at my university, including one summer, doing cosmology research using machine learning. Presented this at a couple of conferences and a paper is in the works.
1 REU at another university, worked abroad on dark matter detection. Presented at one conference.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list all eligible semesters, Sigma Pi Sigma inductee

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: SPS officer all four years (including President one year), helped found a women in physics group, TA for 4 semesters, led a camp for high school girls interested in physics, lots of outreach, tour guide at my University's observatory

Special Bonus Points: 2 grad classes (data analysis and cosmology), female, LGBT+

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Applied to NSF-GRFP

Applying to Where: all for astronomy PhD (unless the school only offers physics), specifically cosmology

UC Berkeley - Astronomy
Harvard - Astronomy
University if Washington - Astronomy
University of Chicago - Astronomy
UIUC - Astronomy
UCSB - Physics
Northwestern - Astronomy
Columbia - Astronomy
Ohio State - Astronomy
Pittsburgh - Physics and Astronomy
Purdue - Physics
University of Rochester - Physics and Astronomy

I'm very nervous, wishing everyone lots of luck!!

wortola5

Post by wortola5 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:02 pm

Undergrad Institution: Honors College at Community College (CC) and then transferred to Top 35 physics University (U.S. News)
Major(s): Physics and Mathematics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:3.9(College), 3.8(University)
Overall GPA: 3.9 (College), 3.7 (University)
Length of Degree: 2+2.5
Position in Class: Don't know :?:
Type of Student: Domestic, Male, Hispanic

GRE Scores: (Only sent to UF, UC-Riverside, UCF, and FIU that were still requiring it :roll:)
Q: 160
V: 151
W:4
P: Not taken

Research Experience: At the community college I spend 1 year working on two projects on data analysis for space weather physics (Funded), but no publications, but two poster presentations and one oral presentation. At the University, I did my senior thesis in computational cosmology, but no paper or presentations have come out of it yet, but will start writing the paper in about a month ( :? Not that helpful now for the application process, but happy that this is happening soon).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Graduated with Highest Honors and Distinction from CC. Merit based scholarship at both CC and University. Dean's List. Recognition award in mathematics at my Community College. Third place recognition on my first research oral presentation.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I was a tutor and lab assistant for introductory physics classes when I was in my last year at the community college. Also, I got a master in plumbing and I started a business in partnership with my dad in the middle of Covid-19 (Not sure this helps, but I mentioned it in some of my applications :D )

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I am a State Certified Plumber, know how to play three instruments, I have a YouTube channel teaching physics.

Special Bonus Points: I took Introductory Particle Physics at the Graduate level, and first course in graduate QM. Two of my recommenders are very well respected and known in their fields and are the professors with whom I did my research. The third recommender is a professor with whom I have taken 4 physics classes and knows me really well. Overall expecting strong Letter of Recommendations.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Not that I remember!

Applying to Where: Applying to Theoretical/Computational Cosmology

High Reach:
Caltech - physics
Stanford - physics
UC-Berkely - physics

Large Reach:
UC-Irvine - physics
University of Florida (UF) - physics
UC-Riverside - physics
USC - physics

Reach:
University of Central Florida (UCF) - physics - Applying for mathematical physics (Don't have Cosmology)
Florida International University (FIU)- physics - Applying for Theoretical Nuclear Physics (Don't have Cosmology)

crowley

Post by crowley » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:37 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small private school, good engineering rep, meh physics rep
Major(s): Astrophysics
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA in Major: 3.62
Overall GPA: 3.63
Length of Degree: 4 Years
Position in Class: Top or near top of astrophysics class, but there's only 4 people so...
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE Scores:
V: 162
Q: 159
A: 4

TOEFL: NA

Research Experience:
Worked at the USDA as a Summer Student for 3 Summers in high school.
3 semesters building a working python model of the light curves of magnetic variable stars. Presented an iPoster on this research at AAS237.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans list 2 semesters

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I'll be a grader for a sophomore level astronomy class next semester.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I have a pet gecko, and I used an Arduino and Python to monitor and automate the temperature and humidity requirements in her tank. I mentioned this in my personal statement, but I'm not sure what points it'll get me.

Special Bonus Points: I'm half Jewish and have ADHD

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: My research advisor loves the work I've been doing, so I hope I got a stellar (haha) recommendation from her. I got an A in a graduate level quantum mechanics course, and I got a recommendation from that professor.

I'm applying with a focus on multi-messenger astrophysics, specifically neutrino astrophysics.

Applying to Where:

University of Maryland-College Park (top choice): [No response yet]
University of Wisconsin-Madison: [No response yet]
Johns Hopkins University: [No response yet]
University of Washington: [No response yet]
Penn State University: [No response yet]
Tufts University: [No response yet]

What do you guys think my chances are? Seeing all these 4.0s on here has my expectations low, but I'm hoping I at least get into one of these schools.

GWs1916

Post by GWs1916 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top in Latin America
Master: Theoretical Physics
Major GPA: 3.8 of 4.0 approx
Overall GPA : 3.5 of 4.0 approx
Master GPA: 4.0 of 4.0
Length of Degree: 4.5 years(Undergraduate) + 2.5 years (Master)
Position in Class: Near top
Type of Student: Male International

GRE Scores: N/A in 2020 b/c COVID

TOEFL: 96 (R:28 , L:23 , S:22 , W:23)

Research Experience:
- Summer Research:  Turbulence in the weakly non-linear regime/1 month/Neither publication nor poster.
- Undergraduate Research Project: Propagation of gravitational waves on a FLRW metric/1 semester/ended in a Thesis of 60 pages/4 poster presentations and 3 oral talks in national and continental meetings/Published in a recognized journal (Main Author).
- Postgraduate Research Project: Cosmic Inflation in modified models of Gravity/2 years/ongoing Thesis/2 poster presentations and 1 oral talk in national and international meetings/Published in a recognized journal (Single Author).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Bachelor's Degree awarded with Maximum Distinction. Fully funded Fulbright Scholarship for the US doctoral program.

- Tutored Physics courses in a non-profit organization.
- Eight-times Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Linear Algebra, General Physics, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics).
- Two-times Graduate Teaching Assistant (General Relativity and Advanced Classical Mechanics).
- Five-times Assistant Coordinator in a Calculus course (administrative work with a huge responsibility).
- Executive Director of a SciCom non-profit student organization.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: First generation college student from a Low-Income Background.

Special Bonus Points: I took Graduate courses (General relativity, Quantum field theory I, Advanced Quantum Mechanics, etc) with a good performance in all of them. I was Teaching Assistant of General Relativity, the main course of my research field. I published a paper by my own on a related topic of my research field. I organized a School of Gravity at the most important physics center of my country.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I led a non-profit volunteer organization for a year, which may impacted my GPA in some way. I have a personal commitment with Science Communication (I have given talks and live streams talking about physics in a language for all audiences).

Applying to Where: ASTRO-PH (cosmology) or HEP-TH (gravity) in each university. I'm interested in Theoretical Cosmology, Cosmic Inflation, Primordial Non-gaussianity, Dark Energy/Matter models and modified theories of gravity, and the theoretical analysis of Gravitational Waves. Also, I'm interested in the interface between Particle Physics and Gravitation, Effective Field Theory of Gravity and Quantum Gravity models.

Super Reach:
Chicago University - Physics, Ph.D.
UC Berkeley - Physics, Ph.D.
Johns Hopkins - Physics, Ph.D.
University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Physics, Ph.D.
Brown University - Physics, Ph.D.
Dartmouth College - Physics, Ph.D.

Reach:
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - Physics, Ph.D.
UC San Diego - Physics, Ph.D.
University of Wisconsin-Madison - Physics, Ph.D.
Penn State University - Physics, Ph.D.
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities - Physics, Ph.D.
UC Davis - Physics, Ph.D.

Match:
University of Pittsburgh - Physics, Ph.D.
University of Southern California - Physics, Ph.D.
Rice University - Physics, Ph.D.
University of Virginia - Physics, Ph.D.
Carnegie Mellon University - Physics, Ph.D.
Indiana University Bloomington - Physics, Ph.D.

physico_guy

Post by physico_guy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:09 am

Undergrad Institution: IIT, top of world reputation
Major(s): Theoretical Physics
Minor(s): Mathematics
GPA in Major: 9.1/10
Overall GPA: 9.0/10
Masters Institution: International instituition in India with very high reputation
Major(s): Theoretical Physics
Overall GPA: 9.6/10
Length of Degree: 4 + 3

GRE Subject: 970 (%93) Took in 2018. So sad that this year GRE is not accepted
GRE: 170 Q, 153 V, 3.0 A :(

TOEFL: (R: 30 , L: 30 , S: 28 , W: 28 )

Research Experience: One single author publication in PRL on AdS/CFT. One 2nd author publication in PRD about QCD confinement. Some works on numerical GR.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing significant.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA/GRA at the master's institution.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I was lucky enough the meet with Witten if that counts 8)

Special Bonus Points: My recommenders are very famous in their fields (I mean really famous!).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Reached out to PI's and they strongly encouraged me to apply.

Applying to Where (All Hep-th/QG/GR):

Reach:
Stanford (QG)
UChicago (Hep-th)
Northwestern (GR)

Match:
UMinnesota (Hep-th/GR)
Brandeis (QG)
UIUC(Numerical GR)
UT Austin(Hep-th)

Safety:
Lehigh
UConnecticut

UltraSafety:
Montana State (Don't know why applied here lol :lol: )