SAT Scores in Grad Application?

AltoClef

SAT Scores in Grad Application?

Post by AltoClef » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:17 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so bear with me if this question's been asked before, but I think this is pretty random. I'm a senior physics major, currently working on my application to Stanford, and at the bottom of the page asking for test scores they ask me to list "any additional test scores". The only additional test scores I have are my SAT scores, and I kind of want to include them, because I did really well (2360). But I took the SAT way back in 2005, and I'm worried that I might look really conceited / stuck in the past if I include them (and maybe I am...). I did well on my PGRE (940) and alright on my general GREs (M790, V650, W5.0), so I probably don't need to prove that I can do well on tests. But what do you think, could including my SAT score from high school negatively affect my application? Or could including that score potentially help me out a little bit?

Thanks!

Mataka

Re: SAT Scores in Grad Application?

Post by Mataka » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:33 am

Well I think it will look weird, you will most likely be the only one who did that. The general GRE is supposed to replace the SAT, and your general GRE is very decent ...

geshi

Post by geshi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:24 pm

Personally, I wouldn't include your SATs (even though they are very strong). I agree with Mataka that it would look weird. Your PGRE is pretty fantastic, and your reg GRE is pretty strong. I don't think you need to worry about test scores keeping you out of a grad program. You're sitting at something like 92% in quan and 94% in verbal and 81% in writing? Again, I wouldn't exactly worry about needing to show off anymore test scores ...

noojens

Post by noojens » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:27 pm

Yeah including the SAT scores strikes me as weird, but if you were a National Merit Scholar I think that's worth putting in the awards/achievements section of the app.

AltoClef

Post by AltoClef » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:14 am

Thanks for everyone's advice - yeah, that was kind of silly, I decided not to include them after all. Now I'll just have to cross my fingers and wait to see what they think about the rest of my application...

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Hm, what about AP National Scholar? I got the award for self-studying 8 APs - and I'm thinking about putting it in my application as one example of my ability to self-study content quickly.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:39 am

InquilineKea wrote:Hm, what about AP National Scholar? I got the award for self-studying 8 APs - and I'm thinking about putting it in my application as one example of my ability to self-study content quickly.
InquilineKea wrote:Hm, what about AP National Scholar? I got the award for self-studying 8 APs - and I'm thinking about putting it in my application as one example of my ability to self-study content quickly.
It might warrant a single line in your SOP but it shouldn't be part of your CV. You shouldn't have to look to high school for things to put on your application.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 am

grae313 wrote:You shouldn't have to look to high school for things to put on your application.
What about things I did in grade school? Boy Scouts? Marching Band?

-Riley

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
grae313 wrote:You shouldn't have to look to high school for things to put on your application.
What about things I did in grade school? Boy Scouts? Marching Band?

-Riley
My first words were "I want cookie." I think that's pretty impressive. I'm going to put that on my resume from now on.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:07 pm

I put something similar in mine, but literally as a parenthetical. And it only survived at the schools which allowed me to turn in the longest essays.