just finished general gre, need advice

Engage

just finished general gre, need advice

Post by Engage » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:05 pm

I just completed taking my scores:
pgre: 990
math: 760
verb: 480.
As far as my scholastic and work background goes, I have had a few internships, an REU and have maintained a 4.0 gpa.

I am an american citizen (though english is my third language) and am aiming for the top tier of schools in experimental condensed matter. I am obviously worried about my verbal score. Should I retake the general or not? I checked the 'results' link but it was not of much help, since everyone is so distinct. But, I was hoping someone who was/is in a similar situation could share their thoughts.

Much appreciated

Mataka

Re: just finished general gre, need advice

Post by Mataka » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:06 pm

If you get a very good score on the writing part this might compensate. In any case, I think the admission committee will understand that the English is not your first language, that being said, if you do have to the time retake the test and to improve your score then sure go ahead !

kedar

opinions plsss

Post by kedar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:34 am

Hi, I for some reason screwed up my gre general.. 1160(q740,v420, 3.5) :oops:
I am an international applicant from EE background, gpa pretty average and no research exp .... and expecting pgre between 750-850. :roll:
My interests border on high energy astro and hep experimental.
I ll be attending a winter school and can only retake the general gre in december end (24-29), with a weeks prep.
I have mailed the unis I want to apply to find out if they ll consider scores reaching before mid jan. I would like to know.. do I have better chances by applying to astro programs than to HEP exp programs if any :( . :?: .. pls suggest

Thanks a lot in advance
Last edited by kedar on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mataka

Re: opinions plsss

Post by Mataka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:06 pm

I think at this point you need to reconsider your plans. From what I see in your profile I would not be surprise if you were rejected by all the schools you apply to. Have you consider taking a master's degree first to boost up your application ?

kedar

Post by kedar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:54 am

True .. but then I was plannin to apply to grad schools just cos the ppl get funded .. so are there any particular masters programs you think I might apply and expect to get funding ??
and is it harder to get funding for masters in much lower ranked schools than to get funding for mid ranked ones for grad progs in my case ?? :?

bobn

Post by bobn » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:32 am

I am also in same dilemma, but if you are too deep into area of your interest, none can stop you.
Why dont you try Indian masters which need little money and then proceed for PhD.

Or else apply for safe schools not top 10. Then prove yourself in PhD.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:57 am

You may want to apply to a few lower ranked school in Canada; they all have a funded master program. But I think you should also apply to do a master in your own country, your chances are probably higher.

kedar

Post by kedar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:56 pm

There are universities which have deadlines a little later in month of jan and .. do u guys feel taking general gre again I wud have better chances if I get a decent score ?? and wat wud be gud enof score btw for a second attempt??? :roll:

kedar

Post by kedar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:01 pm

Mataka wrote:You may want to apply to a few lower ranked school in Canada; they all have a funded master program. But I think you should also apply to do a master in your own country, your chances are probably higher.
I wud have done a msc here a year ago but have taken a year off .. The universities here have pretty less funding in general and most don't research all areas.. there are few universities and sm top research institutes which research many areas and have their own entrance tests .. btw any particular suggestions in canada??

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:15 pm

For Canada, you can try the big schools (UBC, Toronto, McGill, Waterloo ... ) but I don't know if you have a fighting chance. You should try to look for a lower rank school.

bobn

Post by bobn » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:18 pm

If you can score well in PGRE, then you can clear any entrance test, but the irony is no Master's program in India is research oriented. But why don't you try PhD program directly in India

t3chn0n3rd

Post by t3chn0n3rd » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:24 pm

Wow I hope you luck