physics gre

dzpopstar

physics gre

Post by dzpopstar » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:17 pm

do u know which all colleges in U.S accept only gre physics scores and toefl.
i.e they don't require general gre scores.

Mataka

Re: physics gre

Post by Mataka » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:32 pm

None.

dzpopstar

Post by dzpopstar » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:43 am

i am destined for doom.
i have prepared only for gre subject.
are you sure.

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:03 am

Good news is that you don't need to prepare to general GRE in the same way as to subject GRE. Q section is quite easy for physics students, consisting mainly on high school math. Verbal section can be substantially improved with practice, but it is not that important in admission process.

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:09 am

schwiss wrote:Good news is that you don't need to prepare to general GRE in the same way as to subject GRE. Q section is quite easy for physics students, consisting mainly on high school math. Verbal section can be substantially improved with practice, but it is not that important in admission process.
I have the impression that very top schools require high scores in other parts of the general test as well. For instance, University of California at Santa-Barbara has high requirements in all parts of the general test ... .

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:54 am

physics_auth wrote:I have the impression that very top schools require high scores in other parts of the general test as well. For instance, University of California at Santa-Barbara has high requirements in all parts of the general test ... .
Naturally the people who get accepted to top schools usually have high scores in verbal GRE too, but I would guess it is by far the least important part in an application.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:27 am

You should look for universities which do not ask for GRE like NY Albany. there are some other universities too that I don't remember. but if you targeted top schools or even middle ranked ones you have no way just to take it and it's really easy in the math section. regardless how much you study for the verbal section (3 months or 1) you will get score between 300 to 350 or 400 at lucky case and it's way below the domestics scores.