Safety schools or reapply

vttd

Safety schools or reapply

Post by vttd » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm applying this semester for PhD programs in astrophysics. I'm just wondering what your guys' opinions are on safety schools. Would you recommend applying to several safety schools or waiting a year and reapplying to the top tier programs? I've been trying to talk to everyone I can about this, but my close friends and family are not in science fields. Most of them tell me to not settle for something I'm not entirely excited about because it will be 5 or 6 years of intense work. Also I should note that if I were to reapply I would use that year to do more research.

mahar

Re: Safety schools or reapply

Post by mahar » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:52 pm

It depends.
If there is a strong research group in your research area from a "safety" school then go there in the case that you won't get admissions from the top school.

Sometimes, the rankings does not reveal the whole truth about a department. Rankings does not take into account your research interents.

Of course, if you get an admission from a top school that has research groups in your research area then, obviously, this will be the choice.

Good luck to your applications! :)