College Recommendations for PER (Physics Education Research)

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

anupamraj0701

College Recommendations for PER (Physics Education Research)

Post by anupamraj0701 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:53 am

Hello Everyone !

So I applied to 5 colleges in US for a PhD in Physics inclined towards Physics Education Research ( scientist study of how to improve the way we teach physics ). However, it is not working out well for me and I am planning to apply to other parts of the world ( like Europe, Australia, Asia). Can anyone kindly suggest me some Universities or Colleges that have PER as a research area in their Physics Department. It would be really of great help to me. This is quite a new field and the reason I want to work in this domain is because I am really interested in improving the standard of science education back in my own country (India).

Any recommendations would be really appreciated :)

Thank you guys

chris314

Re: College Recommendations for PER (Physics Education Research)

Post by chris314 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Every school I was going to mention is already listed here: https://www.compadre.org/per/programs/

The only other school not listed that I have heard about is California State University Long Beach. Just a fair warning though, those CSU schools in California only offer a MS degree in physics education research, but some of them do offer a PhD in education. Like most schools, they have a per semester fee, so if you're ambitious you can take extra classes and try to work towards both at the same time.

anupamraj0701

Post by anupamraj0701 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:20 pm

chris314 wrote:Every school I was going to mention is already listed here: https://www.compadre.org/per/programs/

The only other school not listed that I have heard about is California State University Long Beach. Just a fair warning though, those CSU schools in California only offer a MS degree in physics education research, but some of them do offer a PhD in education. Like most schools, they have a per semester fee, so if you're ambitious you can take extra classes and try to work towards both at the same time.
Hey brother thanx a lot. However I have searched through the Physics department website of most colleges in the list and they haven't mentioned PER as their research area. I m only looking forward to a PhD. I cannot afford to pay for my masters.

chris314

Post by chris314 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:48 pm

West Virginia University is the only one that I have seen actually advertise it in their research. They have 4 faculty listed under PER, maybe look into that school a little more.

anupamraj0701

Post by anupamraj0701 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:04 pm

chris314 wrote:West Virginia University is the only one that I have seen actually advertise it in their research. They have 4 faculty listed under PER, maybe look into that school a little more.
Thanx again Chris. I am having a conversation with them. Good luck with your PhD.

GoreBrain

Post by GoreBrain » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:57 pm

It's great to hear about schools actively promoting research in physics education. If you're interested in exploring more options, you might want to check out online CNC machinist programs at Only Trade Schools https://www.onlytradeschools.com/online-cnc-machinist-programs/. It's always helpful to consider a range of possibilities when pursuing higher education. Best of luck with your conversations and your PhD journey!

"
Last edited by GoreBrain on Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nightzeit

Post by Nightzeit » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:50 pm

I believe Tufts offers Physics Education PhD. I'm not sure how it compares to other programs, but I know that it exists.