Switching to Astrophysics through Subject Test

leeman669

Switching to Astrophysics through Subject Test

Post by leeman669 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:58 am

Hi,

I am an undergraduate in Information Technology. I feel it is high time to return to science rather than continuing in technology. Will I be able to take up MS in Astrophysics if I clear the GRE Subject Test in Physics?

Regards,

Pleasant

quizivex

Re: Switching to Astrophysics through Subject Test

Post by quizivex » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:09 am

Pleasant,

User "Twistor" can answer this question better than anyone else here. We'll leave it for him...

Here comes the serve... bump, set...

(I'm licking my lips in anticipation :lol: )

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:43 am

quizivex wrote:Pleasant,

User "Twistor" can answer this question better than anyone else here. We'll leave it for him...

Here comes the serve... bump, set...

(I'm licking my lips in anticipation :lol: )
here comes "the twistor" RUN FOR YOUR LIVES :lol: !!!

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:08 am

something has happened that we dunno! interests in studying physics has increased tremendously this year. :shock:

leeman669

Post by leeman669 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi,

I tried to send a message to Twistor but got a message that he is not an activated member. How do I contact him? Is there anyone else who can give me the information? I know there is a subject test in physics. But will that help a person specialized in computers switch fields and go to Astrophysics?

PS: Edwin Hubble once switched fields from Legal Profession to Astrophysics. He is my inspiration. If he can, then I too can. The question is how?

With regards,

Pleasant

leeman669

Post by leeman669 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:19 am

Hmm... so this is what Twistor does. All right.

I got some information from his posts. Thanks to him. That would work for me.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:49 am

Wow grae,
dlenmn in May 2008 wrote:that's some top notch historical research right there.
Hmm I'm not sure whether you found them all by searching, or you remembered the discussions taking place, but either way it's sad nobody else can do the same.

Might as well add this thread to the mix... I remembered twistor's "fanciful dreams of science" quote.
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... 719#p13719

Otherwise, I'm disappointed twistor didn't take the bait today :x :x

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:39 am

quizivex wrote:Wow grae,
dlenmn in May 2008 wrote:that's some top notch historical research right there.
Hmm I'm not sure whether you found them all by searching, or you remembered the discussions taking place, but either way it's sad nobody else can do the same.
All I did was look at the FIRST PAGE of the MAIN TWO FORUMS and clicked on the thread titles that seemed to be about people changing fields... it took about two minutes. There was nothing top notch about it. The people posting these threads are lazy and stupid.

leeman669

Post by leeman669 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Yeah very true. Thanks.

theoretical_phys

Post by theoretical_phys » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:08 pm

What is the deal with so many people wanting to switch to astrophysics? Seems kind of...random.

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:01 pm

leeman669 wrote:Hi,

I am an undergraduate in Information Technology. I feel it is high time to return to science rather than continuing in technology. Will I be able to take up MS in Astrophysics if I clear the GRE Subject Test in Physics?

Regards,

Pleasant
I think that the field of astrophysics is quite remote from your major field. Furthermore, even a 990 in PGRE test cannot ensure that you have all necessary knowledge to succeed in such a different field as astrophysics. PGRE is not panacea, is only a criterion for admission. When you say that you return to science, you mean that you quited science for some reason and you decided to turn to it again? Be more specific. Though I do not know if you like this, but I can propose sth -> try to find if any branch of astrophysics has things in common with your major field and do a MS toward this direction. On the other hand, if you prefer to turn to theoretical astrophy... then you may need to spend a lot of time and especially effort to acquire the necessary theoretical background and the called-for computational skills to succeed in a pertinent MS. Thus, the whole venture exceeds the effort of simply clearing the PGRE!
Physics_auth

leeman669

Post by leeman669 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:40 am

Good thanks.

shouravv

Post by shouravv » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:50 pm

I know one CS major who got admitted to a top-5 Astro program, as he had excellent data analysis background. If you get decent scores in PGRE, and can make a convincing statement in your SOP that you are both interested in AstroPh and will be able to contribute to the field (aka. tie your skills and interest somehow), then you will have a shot. A lot of Astro work is 90% data analysis, and a lot of Astro theory work is 99% simulations.

That being said, if you are still in college, take as many Astro classes as you can. Most astro programs consist of 60% undergrad Astro majors + 20% undergrad physics-math double majors + 20% physics/math single majors (roughly speaking). Rarely do the programs accept an engineering or technical background person, and even then only if this person has some other relevant experience.

I'd suggest that you try to get a research lab assistant sort of job at some Astro department to start with. Write to the department admin with your CV and interests and request that s/he forwards it to the faculty. A year or two years on that job will increase your chances much more than a very high PGRE.
Last edited by shouravv on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leeman669

Post by leeman669 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:49 pm

Thank you. That's a good idea.