Time slows down

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Nishikata

Time slows down

Post by Nishikata » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:33 am

Most applications will inform us their decision for their first batch of candidates in February.
Several ones were known to be a little earlier, like in the penultimate/last week of January.

I know it is just another month. However this does feel as if time slows down.
Can’t believe that today’s only January 10th, seems like it’s been ages.

Watching like other programs, with similar application deadlines, have released their results already (source: thegradcafe) makes me wonder why our beloved program takes much longer and tortures us even before we got in. :lol:

Let me know what you thinkin’

brucelyu

Re: Time slows down

Post by brucelyu » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 am

Caltech says that "Applicants may be notified at any time in the period between the deadline for submission and the deadline for accepting the offers on April 15. " which makes me want to check my email inbox frequently, although I know it's still too early.

Maybe I'll inform some schools of recent updates like finishing writing up a paper or completing all the calculations for a research that are mentioned in my CV and statement of purpose as "in preparation".

Long wait is absolute torture!

BTW, I googled nishikata and found the interesting anime. I'm watching it recently when I feel stressed about waiting. :) :)

kronotsky

Post by kronotsky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 pm

This a thousand times. I am having more dreams about grad school admissions now that I'm done with my applications than I did when I was working on them. I am finding it surprisingly hard and almost nostalgic to settle back into my pre-application lifestyle - but that was only like three months ago!

Also, my supervisor told me his daughter already got into Caltech for chemistry, after applying on December 15th! He was mystified when I told him that I hadn't heard anything back yet...

ayk

Post by ayk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Don't you think it is time for 'Decision Dates 2019'? :D

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:20 am

brucelyu wrote: BTW, I googled nishikata and found the interesting anime. I'm watching it recently when I feel stressed about waiting. :) :)
Yes, they recently decided to greenlight the second season. Can't wait to see Takagi-san again.
ayk wrote: Don't you think it is time for 'Decision Dates 2019'? :D
If anyone of us has gotten our first acceptance, feel free to start! :)
Realistically speaking, maybe early February is the better time to do that.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:53 pm

It's approaching the last week of January. It's getting very close.

Frustratingly, there hasn't been any news for me or others in gradcafe for my schools that, based on their results in the past years, usually give their decision very quickly. Feels strange that UIUC took longer this year to send out acceptances.

Been checking emails every morning and getting nothing in my inbox.

It's different when the schools have clearly stated that they'll release their results from mid-February. There's no broken expectation.

Perhaps, they'll come all at once in February. That dose of ecstasy or disappointment of reading your results simultaneously might be too much.

kronotsky

Post by kronotsky » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:31 pm

I have noticed that my happiness and productivity are highly negatively correlated with the frequency with which I check my e-mail and gradcafe... and I still can't stop haha.

Knoop

Post by Knoop » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 pm

Did anyone else receive an email from Yale with a link to a webinar "What to expect when you're accepted"?

brucelyu

Post by brucelyu » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:55 am

Nishikata wrote: Perhaps, they'll come all at once in February. That dose of ecstasy or disappointment of reading your results simultaneously might be too much.
I am constantly oscillating between good attitude feeling I'm so qualified and anxiety worrying my background and application documents, although I know I've done my best and nothing could possibly be improved in a short period of time. Only Feynman and A. Zee's interesting books can bring me some relief with their sense of humor... BTW, for your case, since you have some research experience with a Berkeley professor, wouldn't the chance of getting admitted be somewhat higher, so at least gives you some relief...

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:38 pm

brucelyu wrote: BTW, for your case, since you have some research experience with a Berkeley professor, wouldn't the chance of getting admitted be somewhat higher, so at least gives you some relief...
Not really though. the collaboration was mainly with members of his group, therefore not much interaction with the prof.
He manages an experimental group, so I can't ask to get in his group either since I am looking for theoretical research.

BTW, it's 1 February already! I know there's freezing weather and all that in the US, but can I have my first decision to warm up this heart, please?