Prospective theorist: doing experimental research or studying?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

experimentaltheorist

Prospective theorist: doing experimental research or studying?

Post by experimentaltheorist » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:20 am

I hope to do theoretical physics in the future. But as a freshman who doesn't know much about physics yet, I can only find experimental or computational research. How helpful would that be? Is it better to find research early or try to learn as much as possible (e.g. take more classes) at first?

Nishikata

Re: Prospective theorist: doing experimental research or studying?

Post by Nishikata » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:05 am

experimentaltheorist wrote:I hope to do theoretical physics in the future. But as a freshman who doesn't know much about physics yet, I can only find experimental or computational research. How helpful would that be? Is it better to find research early or try to learn as much as possible (e.g. take more classes) at first?
It is ok. Research experience will still be helpful as long as there is an end product (journal publication or presentation). It is better to do computational research than exp if your intention is to go for theoretical physics in the end as they are closer in nature.

jabennett2194

Re: Prospective theorist: doing experimental research or studying?

Post by jabennett2194 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:22 pm

You could also send us the physics faculty page at your uni and we can help you decide who is doing research that would be the most beneficial (all research is beneficial) for you in the future :)