Slight error on UM Ann Arbor Application. Lots of anxiety from it

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

guckymeister

Slight error on UM Ann Arbor Application. Lots of anxiety from it

Post by guckymeister » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:48 am

So I submitted my UM ann arbor app tonight (anyone else?) and where it prompted for a financial hardship essay, I had written a 500 word essay but it actually called for a 500 character essay. I had misread it. On the application pdf they send you once you submit it, the essay is cut off after 500 characters and the remainer is put on a continuation page at the end of the application. I'm honestly freaking out pretty bad about it and I'm afraid it will be one of the essays they just throw out because "the applicant didnt follow directions". I emailed them expressing the fact that I hit misread it and I can send them a 500 character response upon request.

I'm not sure what to do to make myself feel better about this. I honestly feel like I just wasted an application, as extreme as that sounds. My biggest fear is that they will just think I'm incompetent and throw my application out even tho the rest of my application is freakin dope with research experience with a prof up there and whatnot

kronotsky

Re: Slight error on UM Ann Arbor Application. Lots of anxiety from it

Post by kronotsky » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:30 am

I wouldn't worry so much! I think you will be fine :)

Folks on the admissions committee are human beings too, and they will surely be reminded of the many similar mistakes they have made. Certainly it will not be looked upon as disqualifying; probably the fact that you e-mailed them right away, wrote more than you were required to, and got it all onto the application supplement will work in your favor, and no one will think twice. Grad school is long and hard, and this is far from the last time you will make a silly mistake under time pressure, like it or not, so I think it would be quite crazy for someone to seriously rethink your application over this.

guckymeister

Re: Slight error on UM Ann Arbor Application. Lots of anxiety from it

Post by guckymeister » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:20 pm

kronotsky wrote:I wouldn't worry so much! I think you will be fine :)

Folks on the admissions committee are human beings too, and they will surely be reminded of the many similar mistakes they have made. Certainly it will not be looked upon as disqualifying; probably the fact that you e-mailed them right away, wrote more than you were required to, and got it all onto the application supplement will work in your favor, and no one will think twice. Grad school is long and hard, and this is far from the last time you will make a silly mistake under time pressure, like it or not, so I think it would be quite crazy for someone to seriously rethink your application over this.
thanks for the reply. I think ill feel better about it once they email me back about it. A lot of it is just disappointment because when I submitted it I just wanted to be done with it, but now I have to keep on worrying about it