Cool Fellowship Opportunities

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

noojens

Cool Fellowship Opportunities

Post by noojens » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Ahoy,

I thought I'd start a thread on interesting research and funding opportunities. This summer I hope to study (fully funded!) at Tsinghua University in Beijing under the NSF's East Asia and Pacific Summer Internship. It's a summer fellowship that's meant to foster collaboration between US grad students/post docs and researchers in China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, and Australia/New Zealand. I got to design my own project proposal, which was a kick - and now I'm in the NSF's database as a principal investigator, woot? :) The deadline for this summer's already past, but it's something that those of you who are interested in international travel can keep in mind for next year. Supposedly about 400 people apply for roughly 250 positions each year.

Anyone else have links to cool programs?

Arr,
noochy.

grae313

Re: Cool Fellowship Opportunities

Post by grae313 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Great idea for a thread! Sorry I don't have anything to contribute ATM... :D

JohnWillkins

Post by JohnWillkins » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:22 pm

Thank for posting... I'm a Junior undergrad and was just in Australia last year (study abroad) and could use an excuse to go back to the land down under. They even have a NSW program. Gotta keep that in mind after I figure out grad school.

astrophysicist2b

Post by astrophysicist2b » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 pm

They don't do a very good job of advertising that... I'd only heard it mentioned once before, and that was by someone who applied and got that fellowship. NSF just started a program with Finland and Norway where you can spend 2-12 months there, but it's only for their graduate research fellows during their fellowship tenure.

I seem to remember getting an email about India and astronomy in the summer at one point too. I wish there were a compiled list of these opportunities.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Here's an APS summer travel grant program for India:
http://www.aps.org/programs/internation ... travel.cfm

The deadline is 31 March 2009.

noojens

Post by noojens » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:42 am

zxcv wrote:Here's an APS summer travel grant program for India:
http://www.aps.org/programs/internation ... travel.cfm

The deadline is 31 March 2009.
Woah, swanky! I might apply for that one next year. I've always wanted to travel in India, and it'd be interesting to see what the Indian side of academia looks like. Plus, more common ground from which to relate to the Indian half of my department :)

astrosona

Post by astrosona » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:14 pm

do any one know any within US? i am totally black to the available fellowships and summer programs in US... and i like to know

a bucket

Post by a bucket » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:05 am

noojens wrote: I've always wanted to travel in India, and it'd be interesting to see what the Indian side of academia looks like.
It looks like *** on ice.