schools losing scores?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

braindrain

schools losing scores?

Post by braindrain » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:52 pm

Is anyone having the problem of the scores don't seem to be showing up at some schools even though ETS says they sent them? This is ridiculous at this late date for schools to be saying they don't have scores given that most of them left no way to check on the status and don't contact them, they'll let us know if something is missing. It seems in this process if you were on time, you are effectively still late because of all the add on processing time from both the schools and ETS. If I knew that, I would have taken the April test rather than Nov or Dec. Clearly, there must be some advantage to getting to the completed application pile early given that there are more qualified people than spots. But, they never said they needed weeks of processing time to put applications together with stuff sent in and now the early birds have gotten offers and the on-time birds are effectively late. This is more frustration!!!!! :x
Did everyone actually check they were in fact complete at all places they applied? Could a school really lose a score sheet? Why didn't the schools hire extra people just to assemble the paperwork this time of year? WHY?

phun

Post by phun » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:14 pm

schools are really bad with updating status profiles.
even my home institution marks that they don't have my transcripts. I wouldn't take anything online seriously. Just call departments and bug them.

physicsgirl

Post by physicsgirl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Two of the schools I had ETS send scores (the free ones when I took the test) did not arrive and I had to fax copies and re-send the scores. I hate ETS! A few weeks ago I called every department I applied to and made sure they got everything and then sent anything that was missing. This is the only way to make sure the schools get everything you think has been sent. A friend of mine had a problem because our school did not mail any of the transcripts he ordered... You never know unless you check.

schrodingersmistress

Post by schrodingersmistress » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:56 pm

did the schools contact you to say the scores didn't arrive or did you call?

physicsgirl

Post by physicsgirl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:25 pm

No, the schools did not contact me. I only found out by calling. But they were understanding in that I didn't realize they didn't have the scores until weeks after the deadline(Of course the scores weren't sent to the schools I applied to that had December deadlines). As far as I know this didn't negatively impact my chances. But I have not heard anything from wither school. But I encourage everyone who reads this to call everywhere you have applied and make sure they have everything! It is the only way to know for sure.

theorygirl

stupid stupid ETS...

Post by theorygirl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:27 pm

I took the Nov 4th test, and received confirmation that my subject scores were sent in early December. None of my schools got them til late January. I was especially pissed cuz one had a 12/15 deadline. Thankfully I got in anyway...

schmit.paul

Post by schmit.paul » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:31 am

yeah, I noticed the same thing happened when I checked on my NSF application status (deadline at the end of NOVEMBER!)...completely unprofessional

braindrain

Post by braindrain » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:57 pm

The schools closed for the holidays in late December for 1-2 weeks. But, all the schools said they needed a 10 day processing window once things arrive at the school. If things went to the physics department directly, then that's one thing and everyone is in the same boat. But if things had to be sorted in the general admissions office for the whole school then part of that processing time is going to them sorting out other programs' paperwork in addition to yours and that seems like a lot of wait time for us. That was something I was unaware of when I planned my test dates. If I knew I would have taken the April test and been early everywhere.

BUT, when I called ETS in early January, I was told the sole ETS additional support guy took the first week of January off. I would have fired such a person. Many people took that week off because of Ford's death on the 2nd, leaving only a 3 day week. BUT, an ETS person should realize what is at steak here. That is the business they are in.

I also had 3 schools who went beyond the 10 day processing window and were till reporting they had not received the score. They had a phone message machine on for most of the day. One of the schools said a phone call by me was required weeks before even though they sent e-mails not to contact them. Getting worried in one case, I paid to resend my scores and that time it was received and noted. So, that must have been lost inside the school for the first time it arrived.

I really don't know how much the 'late to pile' situation has an affect. To anal-retentive bean counters they may just put you in a rejection pile for being late and you will never know with the logic that everyone else was on time. But, I think they also know they are dealing with ETS. But, I think they still assume its our responsibility to check. Real frustrating!