Temporary summer work

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

nathan12343

Temporary summer work

Post by nathan12343 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:17 am

I've just been informed by my advisor that I won't be able to work for him after May 31st. Sadly, he chose a very inconvenient time to spend a summer in France.

I'm planning on moving to grad school at the end of August or the beginning of September, so unless I can find a temporary job it looks like I'll be unemployed for about three months. If I stretch my money, I'll probably be able to live until I get my first TA paycheck in the fall, but that's probably not the best option. Does anyone have any experience finding temporary work? In particular, I'm looking for something where my degree in physics might actually come in handy.

Barring that, does anyone know of a good site that isn't Craigslist for job listings for part time / temporary positions?

twistor

Re: Temporary summer work

Post by twistor » Mon May 04, 2009 12:09 pm

Tutoring.

acmilan

Post by acmilan » Mon May 04, 2009 7:11 pm

I'd try staffing agencies - they work with companies looking to hire new personnel.
In an economy like the current one, temporary positions are usually more than the permanent ones and are not as difficult to find.
If you have any programming experience, you might try that - good pay, most likely not physics related but still ...

If you want some physics-related research, you could see at your current school if they don;t have an opening or if they have some info on REU openings this summer, nationwide that is. I did just that after my senior year.

Also, you might wanna try getting in touch with someone from the school you will be moving to in the fall for grad work and see if they don;t have something - many schools have summer research positions for incoming students too.

that's pretty much from me.

Good luck. :wink:

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:46 pm

A lot of grad students start doing research the summer before their first year. Contact people you might want to work with at your new school.

naseermk

Post by naseermk » Mon May 04, 2009 7:59 pm

grae313 wrote:A lot of grad students start doing research the summer before their first year. Contact people you might want to work with at your new school.
Yes, I contacted the DGS at one of the schools and I was told that they would assist me in finding work over summer.

stardust

Post by stardust » Tue May 05, 2009 1:39 am

Tell your advisor to hire you in France :).

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:12 am

Kidnapping

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Tue May 05, 2009 2:20 am

My school will pay incoming students to come a few months early to study for the qualifying exam, which is extremely awesome. You should see if yours has some similar option.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Tue May 05, 2009 5:48 pm

That sounds like an great summer "job", seeing as you have to study for quals anyway.