Chance Estimations: and suggested improvment

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Mataka

Chance Estimations: and suggested improvment

Post by Mataka » Sat May 02, 2009 7:39 pm

I know I once said chance estimation were useless, but I have to retract myself, I was wrong and over confident. I would like to get into the top 20 schools, in theory. I think I know how my chances are (they could be better, but they could be worst), but it wouldn't hurt to get an outside opinion. And most of all, it would be great (since I'm only applying in the fall 2010) to see how I could improve my application profile, what would you do ?

Thanks in advance !

(To see the details of my profile just click on the "profile" button)

Peter

Re: Chance Estimations: and suggested improvment

Post by Peter » Sat May 02, 2009 9:49 pm

Your profile looks good, you should be able to get into top 10. US schools seem to prefer Canadians anyway. (At least I have seen Canadians get into MIT and similar places with a mediocre profile)

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sun May 03, 2009 8:02 pm

I think you have an excellent chance of getting into top schools, but of course, there are no guarantees.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:58 pm

Peter wrote:Your profile looks good, you should be able to get into top 10. US schools seem to prefer Canadians anyway. (At least I have seen Canadians get into MIT and similar places with a mediocre profile)
Ive noticed that too.

jones

Post by jones » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Check out my profile, slightly unusual situation, would obviously prefer top 10 or at least top 20, any thoughts?

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:57 pm

Well you're from Asia so it may be harder for you, but on the other hand you're a female so this may balance out. I think you have a good looking profile, you should be able to get into some top schools (but hey what do I know I was the one who started the thread ;) )

jones

Post by jones » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:03 am

I guess predicting admissions chances isn't an exact science, if it was, things would be a lot less interesting! Are there any admissions committee people in this forum?