Quantum Comput. & Information - U New Mexico vs. Rochester

acmilan

Quantum Comput. & Information - U New Mexico vs. Rochester

Post by acmilan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Hey guys,
first post here.
before everything, let me say big congrats to all who have gotten into their dream schools and a big "heads up" to those who feel left out. :wink:

My story, interested in Quantum Computation and Information, mix of theory and experiment, both Physics-related and Comp. Science-related QC and I, including architectures, algs, QKD (cryptography), entanglement, decoherence, you name it.
Also very keen on computational physics, background in physics and comp. science.

Accepted to U of New Mexico (well known in the field, close to LANL, better suited to my interests) and Rochester (better overall Physics Program reputation and very strong in AMO-ish QC and I, read: "quantum optics", with it's CQI is no slouch in QC and I either).
Pittsburgh and Syracuse also accepted me but I think it's between New Mexico and Rochester.

I think I know which is the school for me but would appreciate some input ... still indecisive about living it out in the desert as opposed to upstate New York, which is much more like the environment I am used to and it's closer to family in Boston. (MIT and Harvard suck :mrgreen: )

Thanks for any advice you might have.

admissionprof

Re: Quantum Comput. & Information - U New Mexico vs. Rochester

Post by admissionprof » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm confused by something. You indicate that you have four offers, and the absolute deadline is hours away? I'm sure those on waiting lists appreciate this...

New Mexico isn't that close to LANL--I believe it's about 2 hours away. Yes, Rochester has a better reputation, but living in the Southwest sounds a lot nicer than upstate NY cold.

acmilan

Re: Quantum Comput. & Information - U New Mexico vs. Rochester

Post by acmilan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:45 pm

admissionprof wrote:I'm confused by something. You indicate that you have four offers, and the absolute deadline is hours away? I'm sure those on waiting lists appreciate this...

New Mexico isn't that close to LANL--I believe it's about 2 hours away. Yes, Rochester has a better reputation, but living in the Southwest sounds a lot nicer than upstate NY cold.
thanks for the advice - by being close to LANL I meant more like "close collaboration" in QC and I between the two institutions.

I should elaborate on this - I have some quite special circumstances on my app and got a whole lot of rejections and wait listing thanks to that, at least according to one of the people writing on my behalf.

Rochester was the only school that accepted me in a timely manner - beginning of February. Pittsburgh have yet to make it official - they said they intended to admit me on March 1st, but for one reason or another, have yet to make it official (also because of some missing/lost app materials).

Syracuse accepted me about a week ago - beginning of April - after my app most likely had been on their waiting list for a while.
While New Mexico accepted me probably 3-4 hrs ago after being on their wait-lists too ... and that's when I declined Syracuse.

So, I am not that bad a guy, after all, professor :mrgreen: