How to Decline

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Argonic

How to Decline

Post by Argonic » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:34 pm

How do you tell a school that you are declining their offer. Do you just send a really short email with the fact or do you elaborate, include your reasoning etc. I don't think it makes much of a difference, but I was just wondering how other people do it.

nathan12343

Re: How to Decline

Post by nathan12343 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Argonic wrote:How do you tell a school that you are declining their offer. Do you just send a really short email with the fact or do you elaborate, include your reasoning etc. I don't think it makes much of a difference, but I was just wondering how other people do it.
Really short e-mail, I doubt they care about your circumstances.

babazula

Post by babazula » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:57 pm

If only I were Cartman...

Screw you guys, I m going [insert school name here]

Cartman,

P.S: Na Na Na Na Na Na Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Be short, and be polite. No more than three sentences, I'd say.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:33 pm

nathan12343 wrote:
Argonic wrote:How do you tell a school that you are declining their offer. Do you just send a really short email with the fact or do you elaborate, include your reasoning etc. I don't think it makes much of a difference, but I was just wondering how other people do it.
Really short e-mail, I doubt they care about your circumstances.
Short is fine. It doesn't hurt to say where you're going (or more precisely, what school you've been admitted to is higher on your list). I'm always curious to know where people are going. But it isn't that big a deal---just do it quickly and as soon as you know.