Rejecting a School's Offer

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

tiyusufaly

Rejecting a School's Offer

Post by tiyusufaly » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi,

I wonder, is it okay to reject a school's offer just by emailing them?

Also, how do you reject a school in a nice way? I don't want to hurt any feelings...

G01

Re: Rejecting a School's Offer

Post by G01 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Dear _______:

I regret to inform you that I was unable to accept your offer for graduate studies beginning in the Fall of 2009. Unfortunately so many schools accepted me and I can only fill one position. Due to this fact, I had to turn down many qualified universities. I wish you and your university the best of luck in your future academic endeavors.

Sincerely,

_________

Hows that? :mrgreen:

Seriously though. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think I rejection via email is a problem. Short and simple should suffice. I don't think anyone at the university will take it personally.

admissionprof

Re: Rejecting a School's Offer

Post by admissionprof » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:09 pm

The details of the e-mail really don't matter. The important thing is to send it NOW. A simple e-mail saying that you appreciate the offer but have been accepted to a place higher on your list will suffice. Whether you name the place or not doesn't really matter (we like to know who we lose out to, but it isn't that big a deal).