Are you satisfied with your choice of graduate program?

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

Are you satisfied with your current gradate program?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 16

twistor

Are you satisfied with your choice of graduate program?

Post by twistor » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:27 pm

I think this makes an interesting survey of how many of us actually think we picked the best program for us after being enrolled in the program for an entire semester.

zxcv

Re: Are you satisfied with your choice of graduate program?

Post by zxcv » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:05 pm

I'm glad you're unhappy, twistor.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:34 pm

It doesnt matter you have no real recourse.

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:43 pm

My interest lies in the fact that how many of you, in retrospect, actually ended up picking the school that was right for you. Recourse is irrelevant. This is an interesting poll for us and a useful poll for prospective graduate students.

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:44 pm

zxcv wrote:I'm glad you're unhappy, twistor.
Dick.

flaxcapacitor

Post by flaxcapacitor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:39 am

it would be useful to know reasons for each choice?

- did the impression you got during your visit match up to what you experience as a grad student?
- to those who are unhappy, why? and what would you advise prospectives to do differently?

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Interesting. I'll have to ponder these issues and post when I have organized my thoughts.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:09 pm

I voted yes.
flaxcapacitor wrote:did the impression you got during your visit match up to what you experience as a grad student?
I don't remember exactly what impression I got. I remember that during the visit I drank beer three nights straight, ate lots of free food, and listed to profs yack about their research. That would lead most people to a positive impression. However, those aren't exactly common occurrences while here.

Impression aside, I did learn some important facts. The city was nice, the people were friendly, there was interesting research, the pay was enough to live on, there was little weeding, and I wouldn't be stuck TAing forever. Those turned out to be true, and that's plenty to satisfy me.

astrosona

Post by astrosona » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:09 pm

actually this is my problem! i mean i am a person who really is unsatisfied with where i came to!!! my department is a jerk! professors mostly BAD and they are quite OK with this fact... ! most classes are a bad joke and in the end they are one of the hardest prelim exams!!! i am so tired and disappointed!!! i am confused what to do..... department sucks! but my adviser is a great man, very kind and i was happy only because of him but still he doesn;t have his lab ready and he is new to the department .. it is a really hard situation.. i don't know what to do... i am really sad.. also i have to add my classmates last year where %50 chiness student who didn't bother to say reply others hello!!!! i means what a ....