is it still possible to apply for fall 2009

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

honey20

is it still possible to apply for fall 2009

Post by honey20 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Is it still possible to apply for fall 2009. Are there any other universities whose deadlines have not passed?

coreycwgriffin

Re: is it still possible to apply for fall 2009

Post by coreycwgriffin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Some may have been extended, but you're almost guaranteed a rough time finding funding now. Fellowships are all gone, most likely. Maybe you can get a TA. But I personally think it's too late for this year.

Theoretischer

Post by Theoretischer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Last edited by Theoretischer on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isobelojalvo

Post by isobelojalvo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Admissionprof said this in another thread...
Don't give up. There a likely to be a lot of good schools that have spaces opening up in mid-April. But don't go for the top 20. Aim for the 30-60 range. In mid-April, if you haven't gotten in anywhere, e-mail a couple of dozen schools in that group and ask them if they have spots. Include your info (ALL of it) and say that you're willing to rush an application to them. Every so often, schools get a much lower yield than expected (one year, Santa Cruz wanted 12 and got 3), and that might be more likely this year with so many students applying to a dozen or more places.

Good luck

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:16 pm

hmm i think university of georgia is a pretty late deadline, and university of missouri-saintlouis practically doesn't even have one. Check out gradschoolshopper.com and look deadlines but look at definitely not top schools, they'd for sure have to be low to middle of the road probably or some state schools, like previously noted about lousiana have late deadlines.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:56 am

Texas A&M says July 1st.

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:12 pm

What field are you looking to go into? One of my backup plans included a couple of German schools. The programs are taught in English but you'd have to move to Germany. The deadlines aren't until summer. PM me if you want details. They were both theoretical physics.

babazula

Post by babazula » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:11 pm

mhazelm wrote:What field are you looking to go into? One of my backup plans included a couple of German schools. The programs are taught in English but you'd have to move to Germany. The deadlines aren't until summer. PM me if you want details. They were both theoretical physics.
Applications of German Universities for PhD are actually very tricky!
In order to enter PhD programme, students must have obtained the minimum of a Master's degree in Physics or equivalent. And only doctoral students are exempt from student fees. If you are not holding a Master's degree, then that means you are not eligible for the fee waiver, you should do master's first, and pay for it! ( a BS is not equivalent to Diplom, so one should do MS before enrolling to a PhD programme in a German University )

For Master's, the funding for non-EU students is very limited, and the process is very competitive. in most cases, international students are invited to Germany for an interview, which is very tough since the German examination system is based on oral examination so the examiners are expecting a really good performance. an oral examination is not something american students are familiar with, and i guess that is the main reason why EU universities has a very small number of American students.

Note: Proof of German languange proficiency could also be necessary for the application. (http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/intstud/a ... index.html)
Last edited by babazula on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

naseermk

Post by naseermk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:55 am

astrofan wrote:Texas A&M says July 1st.
For Physics their preferred deadline is Feb.15th