Still Waiting 2009.... Share your ambivalence!

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Helio

Re: Still Waiting 2009.... Share your ambivalence!

Post by Helio » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:36 pm

evilclaw2321 wrote:
Maxwells_Demon wrote:Still waiting to hear from 13 schools :(.
I got fed up waiting to hear form 10 and sent out a bunch of emails today, 2 responses so far-1 rejection 1 waitlist. I say email them and check, especially if you know certain ones have started notifying.
6 here... it is annoying really... just reject me already

Maxwells_Demon

Post by Maxwells_Demon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Does anyone email an inquiry about their application status and receive good news? If so, it doesn't make sense to me why schools would hold out on informing people they've accepted... This is why I'm scared to send emails :p, because I get the impression that not hearing anything is only a neutral (application is being reviewed) or a bad thing (application was rejected). hm.

Maxwell's Demon

AP Applicant

Post by AP Applicant » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Does anybody know what is going on at Applied Physics of Caltech? Have they send out acceptances or interviews?

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:50 pm

I have been wondering about this too. I am not wanting to send emails, but I still have no word from UCSB or Penn State (or anyone else, but my others haven't admitted anyone yet, either). I'm assuming this means I'm out, but I guess I don't want to email and find out. I wish I could at least know if I'm on a waiting list though. Is it standard to expect notification that you're on a waiting list? Someone mentioned that florida sent out waiting list notifications, but I don't know if most schools do this.

aristotle

Post by aristotle » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:33 pm

So, I haven't gotten the snail-mail rejection from Chicago yet...is that good sign?

nonick

Post by nonick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:50 pm

aristotle wrote:So, I haven't gotten the snail-mail rejection from Chicago yet...is that good sign?
same question here...

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:44 pm

mhazelm wrote:I have been wondering about this too. I am not wanting to send emails, but I still have no word from UCSB or Penn State (or anyone else, but my others haven't admitted anyone yet, either). I'm assuming this means I'm out, but I guess I don't want to email and find out. I wish I could at least know if I'm on a waiting list though. Is it standard to expect notification that you're on a waiting list? Someone mentioned that florida sent out waiting list notifications, but I don't know if most schools do this.
Well i figured the same thing but if i'm out i'd at least like to know so im not holding onto false hope so I sent out emails todays. But it could just mean you're waitlisted (like one response told me today). However I do have one friend who emailed about his status and they said he was accepted and they had just sent the info in the mail, so it is possible to get good news. I emailed 7 schools today ,2 responses so far, hopefully tomorrow ill hear form the rest and hopefully at least 1 will be good news.

Excalibur1986

Post by Excalibur1986 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:19 pm

May the physics gods bless us, well at least me, with an acceptance to UCSD tomorrow. May they also bless those still waiting with an acceptance letter. Amen.

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:37 pm

maybe we should make some kind of sacrifice to the physics gods?

PhysicsPdx

Post by PhysicsPdx » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:22 am

My sanity has already been sacrificed, if that helps. This waiting is killing me.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:00 am

mhazelm wrote:I have been wondering about this too. I am not wanting to send emails, but I still have no word from UCSB or Penn State (or anyone else, but my others haven't admitted anyone yet, either). I'm assuming this means I'm out, but I guess I don't want to email and find out. I wish I could at least know if I'm on a waiting list though. Is it standard to expect notification that you're on a waiting list? Someone mentioned that florida sent out waiting list notifications, but I don't know if most schools do this.
When I was waitlisted last year at Madison, they didn't tell me (until I e-mailed them to ask). Then the rejection letter came in mid march which I can tell you feels a lot worse...

Good luck to everyone, may the NET force be with you.

Ren

Post by Ren » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:45 pm

well at this point I'm pretty much made up my mind that I've been rejected everywhere else.

I'm in a bad mood, so excuse my arrogant in saying that I know I'm qualified to be accepted to some of the programs I applied. How dare they rejected me :evil:

Of course I'm talking about my safeties and some schools that previous applicants' profiles have shown that my application should fall in the range of acceptance and not those top schools (like Columbia or UCSB :oops: ).

Maxwells_Demon

Post by Maxwells_Demon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:04 pm

I sent out ~8 emails today, kindly asking for the status on my application. Some programs, like Columbia Applied Physics, mentioned on their website "don't request information via email."

And according to this forum and gradcafe, not too many people have been accepted (or rejected) to the applied physics programs (according to gradcafe, Harvard's applied physics notifications are supposedly coming out in a week or 2). But this seems late to me.

If by not hearing from any schools by now means I got rejected to them, then I got into 0 physics-related programs. And if that's the case, I don't even know.

Maxwell's Demon

slugger

Post by slugger » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:10 pm

I think i am going to get rejected by a few of my safeties--I havent heard jack from either rochester or cuny--go figure.

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm assuming that this late in the game I'm just f***ed. Another f***ing year at this stupid place I'm at now so I can pay ets more stupid money to take their stupid test. All so that in 7 years I'll have a PhD and slim chances of actually finding an academic job. Woohoo.

As you can tell I'm in a f***ing awesome mood right now.

Imperate

Post by Imperate » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Am I boned as far as UCSD/UCLA Physics is concerned? seems like lots have been accepted to these now, so I decided just to put myself out of my misery and email, both just said my application is still under review, and they can't tell me anymore :(. The UCLA secretary said my app was forwarded to the review panel back on the 8th Feb, what could take them this long??
Realistically is there any chance at this stage?

PhysicsPdx

Post by PhysicsPdx » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Does anyone know if the situation we are in is the same as last year at this time? Is this normal, or are we actually screwed?

valloein

Post by valloein » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:21 pm

I sent a univ like 3 mails and theres no reply. Will they send Jack Bauer over to eliminate me if I call them and ask for my app status >_>

bosem

Post by bosem » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Ren wrote:well at this point I'm pretty much made up my mind that I've been rejected everywhere else.

I'm in a bad mood, so excuse my arrogant in saying that I know I'm qualified to be accepted to some of the programs I applied. How dare they rejected me :evil:

Of course I'm talking about my safeties and some schools that previous applicants' profiles have shown that my application should fall in the range of acceptance and not those top schools (like Columbia or UCSB :oops: ).
UT Austin is a good place for astro!.. I don't think you should complain

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Ren wrote:well at this point I'm pretty much made up my mind that I've been rejected everywhere else.

hey i am considering choosing UT austin over MAdison physics... are you still coming to the open house?

isobelojalvo

Post by isobelojalvo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:19 pm

valloein wrote:I sent a univ like 3 mails and theres no reply. Will they send Jack Bauer over to eliminate me if I call them and ask for my app status >_>
If they have Jack Bauer for a Grad Student than the rest of us probably shouldn't have bothered applying... :D

Ren

Post by Ren » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 pm

@bosem > yes. sorry.

honestly It's strange I got into UT and not some other places. I just got rejected from OSU. I really don't know what's going on.
My first choice is U Washington but I guess I don't have much chance now. so long my west coast dream.

@Helio > Yes. I'm going. At this point I think I'll pick UT. (and yes, I am happy about it.)

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:09 pm

PhysicsPdx wrote:Does anyone know if the situation we are in is the same as last year at this time? Is this normal, or are we actually screwed?
Actually, my sense is that there is a difference. There seem to be many more people applying to huge numbers (double digits) of schools, and I think that in previous years, this was less common. Of course, if everyone applies to N schools, then the average yield is 1/N. If N is bigger than usual, then schools will find a lower yield than expected, and more slots will open up in early April. That's one reason, IMHO, why many schools either aren't making decisions or are keeping relatively large waiting lists.

DR.DOOLITTLE

Post by DR.DOOLITTLE » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:30 pm

There have been a large amount of acceptances and rejections today from UCSB via the online application over at thegradcafe. My application's status is still unavailable. What does this mean??? How agonizing!

isobelojalvo

Post by isobelojalvo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm

DR.DOOLITTLE wrote:There have been a large amount of acceptances and rejections today from UCSB via the online application over at thegradcafe. My application's status is still unavailable. What does this mean??? How agonizing!
My application status is also listed as unavailable... I'm hoping we've atleast been waitlisted.

Excalibur1986

Post by Excalibur1986 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:06 pm

isobelojalvo wrote: My application status is also listed as unavailable... I'm hoping we've atleast been waitlisted.
I'm in the same boat, so let's just cross our fingers. I hope everyone who was accepted declines UCSB's offer ASAP. Best of luck to everyone.

DR.DOOLITTLE

Post by DR.DOOLITTLE » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:13 pm

Excalibur1986 wrote:
isobelojalvo wrote: My application status is also listed as unavailable... I'm hoping we've atleast been waitlisted.
I'm in the same boat, so let's just cross our fingers. I hope everyone who was accepted declines UCSB's offer ASAP. Best of luck to everyone.
This is a bit paranoid, but does everyone whose status is unavailable have a last name that starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet? Mine does. Perhaps they just haven't gotten to rejecting the T-Z people yet!!

Haha!!! Best of luck to everyone.

~~~~DOOLITTLE

Excalibur1986

Post by Excalibur1986 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:20 pm

DR.DOOLITTLE wrote:This is a bit paranoid, but does everyone whose status is unavailable have a last name that starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet? Mine does. Perhaps they just haven't gotten to rejecting the T-Z people yet!!
Haha. You may be onto something, but I'm going to adjust it to S-Z. :D

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:21 pm

wow, you really are paranoid.

I'm sure you'll know soon. Of course my last name is at the beginning of the alphabet, so you never know.

DR.DOOLITTLE

Post by DR.DOOLITTLE » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:23 pm

mhazelm wrote:wow, you really are paranoid.

I'm sure you'll know soon. Of course my last name is at the beginning of the alphabet, so you never know.
Wait...maybe they just haven't gotten around to rejecting people born in 1986!!! Oh gosh I'm doomed.

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 pm

I was born in July 1986, sorry!

So we can now reach the conclusion that UCSB has rejected people with last name letters A-G and with birthdays from May-August in 1986.

If you aren't in this group, sorry, you don't get notification until March 11.

gumpstuck

Post by gumpstuck » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Does no rejections/acceptances mean I'm on the waitlist or am I completely screwed at this point. I was expecting to hear from at least a few more schools by early march... no emails is driving me NUTS :twisted:

DR.DOOLITTLE

Post by DR.DOOLITTLE » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 pm

gumpstuck wrote:Does no rejections/acceptances mean I'm on the waitlist or am I completely screwed at this point. I was expecting to hear from at least a few more schools by early march... no emails is driving me NUTS :twisted:
Well since you haven't heard any acceptances or rejection, then it's vacuously true that you are admitted. Bravo!

Ren

Post by Ren » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:39 pm

Excalibur1986 wrote:
DR.DOOLITTLE wrote:This is a bit paranoid, but does everyone whose status is unavailable have a last name that starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet? Mine does. Perhaps they just haven't gotten to rejecting the T-Z people yet!!
Haha. You may be onto something, but I'm going to adjust it to S-Z. :D
lol you might be right. I'm also in that range and my stattus is unavailable.

blueeverest

Post by blueeverest » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:51 pm

mine too.

murs

Post by murs » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm worried I may go insane from so many schools (7/8) not telling me anything. I am going to wait 2 weeks then send them an email. If I still don't hear anything, god only knows...

valloein

Post by valloein » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:48 pm

UMD said id get a mail this week and all I've got is linkedin and facebook invites #_# This is driving me insane. Maybe they want to purchase my soul in some grotesque blood covenant first. Maybe global warming will set in and increase the ambient temperature by 700 billion degrees. Maybe wild ninja monkeys with cybernetic brains will show with my acceptance letter.

FTW

babazula

Post by babazula » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:20 am

i still have not heard anything from UCSB. i emailed the graduate secretary, and she told me that i would find out my application status in one month. does that mean i got a rejection? as far as i see from thegradcafe, no acceptance had been sent out in March. do you think i can safely assume that i am not admitted?

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:38 pm

babazula wrote:i still have not heard anything from UCSB. i emailed the graduate secretary, and she told me that i would find out my application status in one month. does that mean i got a rejection? as far as i see from thegradcafe, no acceptance had been sent out in March. do you think i can safely assume that i am not admitted?
I doubt it. A bunch of us have already been rejected. Why would they wait?? I'm sure if I've been rejected and you haven't, you're probably on a waiting list. Or, you made them mad and they want revenge so they're making you wait. People in CA do weird things like that.

See, I didn't really want to live in Santa Barbara anyway (*sniffle*).

ffalieri

Post by ffalieri » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:48 pm

babazula wrote:i still have not heard anything from UCSB. i emailed the graduate secretary, and she told me that i would find out my application status in one month. does that mean i got a rejection? as far as i see from thegradcafe, no acceptance had been sent out in March. do you think i can safely assume that i am not admitted?

I emailed the secretary and she told me that all admits letters have already been sent, and that I should check my (unavailable) online stats... So, I'm assuming I'm out, better be prepared.

Has anyone heard anything from rutgers?

xudis149

Post by xudis149 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:53 pm

I had called the physics department at rutgers..
They said they have made all the first round of offers.
Next week they will send emails for rejection and waitlist.. well, rutgers seems over for me

flaxcapacitor

Post by flaxcapacitor » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 pm

anyone still waitin to hear from stanford applied physics?
^
scratch that, got my rejection...oh for those good old days of hope and ambivalence.

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:41 pm

has anyone heard anything yet from northwestern physics or astro??

DR.DOOLITTLE

Post by DR.DOOLITTLE » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:13 pm

mhazelm wrote:I was born in July 1986, sorry!

So we can now reach the conclusion that UCSB has rejected people with last name letters A-G and with birthdays from May-August in 1986.

If you aren't in this group, sorry, you don't get notification until March 11.
I just got REJECTED!

"...due to the large number of applicants whose last names start with letters A-S, we had to turn away several well qualified candidates whose last names start with R-Z.

Best of luck in the mines.

-UC Babs"

Oh well...i got in other places!

WakkaDojo

Post by WakkaDojo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:33 pm

I too have been rejected from UCSB. Oh well.

Excalibur1986

Post by Excalibur1986 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Rejected by UCSB. I'm waiting for you UCSD. If not Irvine, or possibly LA, will be my new home.

pavement

Post by pavement » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:01 pm

evilclaw2321 wrote:has anyone heard anything yet from northwestern physics or astro??
i too haven't heard from they yet. i sent an email to them earlier this week, and still no word. oh this is such a painful process.

PhysicsPdx

Post by PhysicsPdx » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:05 pm

pavement wrote:
evilclaw2321 wrote:has anyone heard anything yet from northwestern physics or astro??
i too haven't heard from they yet. i sent an email to them earlier this week, and still no word. oh this is such a painful process.
I have heard nothing either. I keep checking the online portal it says they will post a decision there when it is rendered. Lord, the waiting!

Maxwells_Demon

Post by Maxwells_Demon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:07 pm

My friend called up UCSD the other day and they told him that they already sent out their acceptances, and when asked about a waiting list, they implied that they didn't have one. (??)

Not sure what that means

Maxwell's Demon

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm

So I know that some people have already been admitted to Penn State.... but has anyone gotten officially rejected?