Women in Physics

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

intrepede

Re: Women in Physics

Post by intrepede » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:15 pm

dlenmn wrote:
dumbass wrote:I have never met a attractive girl who was actually good at actual phyiscs.
I bet she is good at physics...
Hot, yes. Phyicist, NO. Guys seriously don't know the difference between a phycist and an engineer?

Find me a cheerleading string theorist now.

trani

Post by trani » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:00 pm

...makes one wonder who creates an account just to post on this thread... Must be someone undeniably brilliant and incredibly hot!

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:00 pm

intrepede wrote:
dlenmn wrote:
dumbass wrote:I have never met a attractive girl who was actually good at actual phyiscs.
I bet she is good at physics...
Hot, yes. Phyicist, NO. Guys seriously don't know the difference between a phycist and an engineer?

Find me a cheerleading string theorist now.
http://www.aapt.org/Events/SM2006/image ... l(web).jpg

she is good looking not hot... and if you think it is all about the hotness factor than be a *** comm or PR major and not physics... immature that is all i have to say to this

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:35 pm

intrepede wrote:I think there isn't a problem with women in physics. There is a problem with ACTUALLY hot women in REAL physics. I have never met a attractive girl who was actually good at actual phyiscs.

Question: Where is my hot 20 something year old phyicist with big *** who knows GR and likes to party in short dresses on the weekend? Answer: She doesn't exist.

Why? Because hot women apparently suck at real physics and math. We have tons of females in my school and they are either good looking and stupid or not hot and kind of smart.

Seriously, why do people have a problem with women just being worse than men at real science and math? Because evidence suggests that they are... or at least the hot ones, and really, what else matters?
Thank you, intrepede, for reminding me that most men are complete fucktards.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:38 pm

trani wrote:...makes one wonder who creates an account just to post on this thread... Must be someone undeniably brilliant and incredibly hot!
I agree. HEY INTREPEDE!!! GIVE US POOR MAN-STARVED BUTT-UGLY DUMB-AS-*** BITCHES A PIC OF YOUR FINE-ASS SELF!!!

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:57 pm

grae313 wrote:
trani wrote:...makes one wonder who creates an account just to post on this thread... Must be someone undeniably brilliant and incredibly hot!
I agree. HEY INTREPEDE!!! GIVE US POOR MAN-STARVED BUTT-UGLY DUMB-AS-*** BITCHES A PIC OF YOUR FINE-ASS SELF!!!
Well, that's overreacting. Either you're dumb-as-*** or you're butt-ugly, but not both!

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:41 pm

abeboparebop wrote:
grae313 wrote:
Well, that's overreacting. Either you're dumb-as-*** or you're butt-ugly, but not both!
you would be surprised what is out there... i have seen the dark side of looks and brains

markl

Post by markl » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:02 am

Being a cheerleader precludes stupidity, I don't care if shes an engineer. I can't imagine a beautiful really smart female who would have any interest in being a cheerleader. BTW, I definitely think there are some hot smart girls but maybe I just run across more of them being in Boston with all the colleges and universities.

WontonBurritoMeals

Post by WontonBurritoMeals » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Oh, my god. I'm having a really hard time telling which posts are sarcastic and which aren't...

In other news, I wouldn't want to date a physicist. Scientists tend to be too competitive and I'm afraid that if one of us was smarter than the other, it would destroy the relationship. Besides, relationships are supposed to be complimentary, so why would you want someone in your own field?

Anyway, it's extremely clear that women can achieve the highest levels of any field (since the, you know, have) so I'm not sure what the discussion here is for. Can any woman achieve the highest levels? Of course not. Can any man achieve the highest levels? Of course not.

I mean, it's like... If you wanted to know if someone was smart, would you ask them a relevant question or ask them to pull down their pants? Which will give you more information?

May the wind be always at your back,
-WontonBurritoMeals

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Wow, this thread is interesting.

It's not that there aren't "hot" women in physics, it's that most physicists are not "hot". How many times have you seen a "hot" male or female at a physics conference? Yeah, about never. At my school professors/students range from elvish looking to the classic garden gnome. This is why we stare at equations all day, rather than ogling each other.

Also, some of us women just don't care. I would rather worry about understanding general relativity then spending two hours a day doing my hair. I wear basic make-up and do wear nice feminine clothes, but I'd never wear my little skirt to class because all our faculty is male, and I certainly don't want them looking. :wink:

twistor

Post by twistor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:00 pm

I would rather worry about understanding general relativity then spending two hours a day doing my hair. I wear basic make-up and do wear nice feminine clothes, but I'd never wear my little skirt to class because all our faculty is male, and I certainly don't want them looking.
Lesbian?

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Lesbian?
HA! Definitely not. What I meant was that since our professors are both i) old and ii) gnomish in appearance, I don't really enjoy them looking. I guess I don't gain the same satisfaction as I *might* from a guy my age who is also somewhat normal/nice looking. Even then with the students in physics and math, its sketchy. I usually date guys outside of physics. :)

It's always awkward when you go ask your (much older) professor a question after class, and instead of making eye contact they stare at your chest. This has happened to me in at least 3 different classes with different professors. Finally I just started carrying around a clipboard to hold against myself when I have questions to ask. Lol. I wonder how many girls on this forum have had this happen?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 pm

mhazelm wrote:It's always awkward when you go ask your (much older) professor a question after class, and instead of making eye contact they stare at your chest. This has happened to me in at least 3 different classes with different professors. Finally I just started carrying around a clipboard to hold against myself when I have questions to ask. Lol. I wonder how many girls on this forum have had this happen?
hello.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:43 pm

You would be surprised how many girls don't care/encourage the attention. Know a girl who definetly took advantage of her looks to not fail an upper level physics class. She was really hot, but not so good at physics. Good thing she was not planning on pursuing physics as a career.

I actually found it to be a major turn off that she clearly had no grasp of the concepts of the class and I have no idea why/how she was in the class, which is unfair. It sounds nice to say that you are attracted to inteligent women, but in practice it is just as limiting and, in many ways, revolting as judging people based on looks.

meowful

Post by meowful » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:49 pm

mhazelm wrote: It's always awkward when you go ask your (much older) professor a question after class, and instead of making eye contact they stare at your chest. This has happened to me in at least 3 different classes with different professors. Finally I just started carrying around a clipboard to hold against myself when I have questions to ask. Lol. I wonder how many girls on this forum have had this happen?
Eww, creepy! Is it pretty well known among the students which professors do this or not really?

From,
Quite Possibly the Only Girl on the Forum this Hasn't Happened To (and there's a special for reason that...)

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:03 pm

meowful wrote:
mhazelm wrote: It's always awkward when you go ask your (much older) professor a question after class, and instead of making eye contact they stare at your chest. This has happened to me in at least 3 different classes with different professors. Finally I just started carrying around a clipboard to hold against myself when I have questions to ask. Lol. I wonder how many girls on this forum have had this happen?
Eww, creepy! Is it pretty well known among the students which professors do this or not really?

From,
Quite Possibly the Only Girl on the Forum this Hasn't Happened To (and there's a special for reason that...)
At my school, it was so obvious that even the guys knew. Guys know how to not make it obvious, if they care enough to do so. As Seinfeld says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvGqPencrJQ

It's not very common, but it happens (perhaps I am way off base, but it seemed that way). Is your special case that you went to an all girls school?
Last edited by astrofan on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:04 pm

astrofan wrote:You would be surprised how many girls don't care/encourage the attention.
No, I wouldn't be surprised. This is why I hate the majority of the girls in the world. Intrepede is why I hate the majority of the boys in the world.

Ugh. People suck.

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm with grae313.

People tend to be superficial and, well, stupid.

Boys have cooties.

WontonBurritoMeals

Post by WontonBurritoMeals » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:56 pm

And I am the reason that Grae is ambivalent towards a minority of boys.

May the wind be always at your back,
-WontonBurritoMeals

meno

Post by meno » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:05 pm

Last edited by meno on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:12 pm

If you didn't want men to stare at your *** you shouldn't have grown them in the first place.

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:20 pm

If you didn't want men to stare at your *** you shouldn't have grown them in the first place.
You're just jealous that you don't have any.

Or wait a minute, I thought twistor was a lesbian! :D

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:42 pm

twistor wrote:If you didn't want men to stare at your *** you shouldn't have grown them in the first place.
there is another solution *hands duct tape*

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:56 pm

Helio wrote:
twistor wrote:If you didn't want men to stare at your *** you shouldn't have grown them in the first place.
What good will tying her up do if I'm not allowed to look or touch?

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:21 pm

twistor wrote:
Helio wrote:
What good will tying her up do if I'm not allowed to look or touch?

more like flattening the chest

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:21 pm

There are better uses for duct tape.

nonick

Post by nonick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:56 pm

@Itreprede
Maybe my department is a big exception, but out of the 18 students graduating class in physics, there are at least 3 hot girls (not just physics hot, believe me...)
Also, I think grae is a living proof that there are hot girls in physics. Reference: her picture in the Cornell thread.

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:10 pm

nonick wrote:@Itreprede
Maybe my department is a big exception, but out of the 18 students graduating class in physics, there are at least 3 hot girls (not just physics hot, believe me...)
Also, I think grae is a living proof that there are hot girls in physics. Reference: her picture in the Cornell thread.
Maybe you should join GA:

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd0106.gif
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd0107.gif
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd0109.gif

even though i sort have to agree... off to proving cauchy-riemann
twistor wrote:There are better uses for duct tape.
I know like keeping your experiment running

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:34 pm

intrepede wrote:
babazula wrote:Image

Mina Aganagic... She is a HOT woman in REAL physics..
http://math.berkeley.edu/~mina/Mina.htm

No, she really isn't. I meant ACTUAL Hot. Not Physics Hot. People in physics forget that. Just because she is not that old or fat doesn't make her hot guys.
I'm confused. Either the woman in the photo is not Mina or Mina is not hot.

markl

Post by markl » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:08 pm

I've been doing some research in this field. There are definitely some hot women in physics, infact very many of them are. But I have to agree that Mina is not one of them.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:09 pm

I enjoy this thread.

And although it is my lasting dream to find a woman who is also professionally interested in physics to be with, I'm not counting on it. I'll settle for someone who is professionally interested in something (psychology, perhaps?).

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:11 pm

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to dating a physicist, I suppose, but the two-body problem would stink. I DO find a PhD to be an attractive feature... hehehe. Though I think I'd prefer a mathematician.

Maybe we should add a single's thread to this forum - you know, post some photos, some cheezy physics pick-up lines. It could double as a dating site for those single physicists who date their thermo textbooks. :P

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:52 pm

mhazelm wrote:I wouldn't be terribly opposed to dating a physicist, I suppose, but the two-body problem would stink. I DO find a PhD to be an attractive feature... hehehe. Though I think I'd prefer a mathematician.

Maybe we should add a single's thread to this forum - you know, post some photos, some cheezy physics pick-up lines. It could double as a dating site for those single physicists who date their thermo textbooks. :P
Hey at least i have variety every semester... sometimes I can even pick between quantum and EM or even a nice lab notebook :P

I should just go to austin.... the male to female ratio is like 3:2

and btw here the astronomy major has a higher women to men ratio than the comm major upward of like 75%

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:03 pm

mhazelm wrote:I wouldn't be terribly opposed to dating a physicist, I suppose, but the two-body problem would stink. I DO find a PhD to be an attractive feature... hehehe. Though I think I'd prefer a mathematician.

I was just thinking, "When will the 'post pictures of yourself' thread start?" Hah!

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:07 am

coreycwgriffin wrote:

I was just thinking, "When will the 'post pictures of yourself' thread start?" Hah!
Stalkerbook FTW!!!!

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Helio wrote:
coreycwgriffin wrote:

Stalkerbook FTW!!!!
Actually, it's worse than Facebook; at least there you have to be "friends" to see the pics of most people. Here, you can stalk people you have never seen (and probably will never see).

I certaintly felt like a stalker when I clicked on the link to the summer pictures grae posted last year.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Helio wrote:
coreycwgriffin wrote:

Stalkerbook FTW!!!!
I've had some bad experience with that and trying to meet women who are intelligent...bah...

slugger

Post by slugger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 am

I actually think that on average men in physics suffer from ugly-loser-ism more than the women. When i think back, while women were definately underrepresented in class, of those that were there, i dont think there were a disproportionate number of uglies. They actually seem to represent the broader population fairly well. The same can not be said of the men. I think the proportion of male physics students who needed a little excercise and a couple of shirts that didnt have airbrushed pictures of a wolf howling at a winter moon in front of some pine trees (you know who you are--where do you guys get those things?) was apalling.

markl

Post by markl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:13 pm

slugger wrote:I actually think that on average men in physics suffer from ugly-loser-ism more than the women. When i think back, while women were definately underrepresented in class, of those that were there, i dont think there were a disproportionate number of uglies. They actually seem to represent the broader population fairly well. The same can not be said of the men. I think the proportion of male physics students who needed a little excercise and a couple of shirts that didnt have airbrushed pictures of a wolf howling at a winter moon in front of some pine trees (you know who you are--where do you guys get those things?) was apalling.

Slugger, it's me! I loved that shirt, I got it at the big and tall store, and I don't appreciate you putting it down.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:42 pm

slugger wrote:I actually think that on average men in physics suffer from ugly-loser-ism more than the women. When i think back, while women were definately underrepresented in class, of those that were there, i dont think there were a disproportionate number of uglies. They actually seem to represent the broader population fairly well. The same can not be said of the men. I think the proportion of male physics students who needed a little excercise and a couple of shirts that didnt have airbrushed pictures of a wolf howling at a winter moon in front of some pine trees (you know who you are--where do you guys get those things?) was apalling.
thank god i only have viva la relativity shirt :lol: :lol:

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Who are you dressing up for at work? One of the few perks about grad school is you can come into work wearing anything you want.

I love this statement, as you are trying to disguise what you are really saying. Just wondering, if the person you were talking about was toned and in shape, but still wore that shirt, would it make a difference? The answer is obviously no; you don't approve of the type of person he is.

Let me translate what you are saying (and, by the way, I agree with your generalization):

The women of physics represent the type of girls that find it fun to go to a bar/party and down a few drinks. The only "abnormal" aspect about them is that they study physics.

The men are the type that prefer a night of gaming over a night of partying. They are the geeks that have lan parties or, heaven forbid, play D&D. Society looks down on them, and you feel sad to be associated with them.

Go *** yourself. As a person that can enjoy both, I can honestly say that I hear this complaint to much from "normal" people.

noojens

Post by noojens » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:50 pm

I approve of this thread.

slugger

Post by slugger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

you misunderstand, and i didnt try to disguise anything i said. It has been my experience that women physics students appear to be more representative of the general population in terms of their appearance (i.e. grooming, fashion, etc.) than their male counterparts. the dudes more often than not roll into class not giving an f and look like hell whereas the chicks more often than not just look like normal chicks. dont get so touchy about the implications of that sentiment. sometimes a brotha needs to spend his friday night throwing dice and killing orks or whatever, and i respect that. my best friend plays DnD, he just didnt seem to need to dress the part the rest of the time. and no one really believes that appearance dosnt matter, even in academic circles, thats why we all don our sunday best when we go to conferences.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:33 pm

slugger wrote:you misunderstand, and i didnt try to disguise anything i said. It has been my experience that women physics students appear to be more representative of the general population in terms of their appearance (i.e. grooming, fashion, etc.) than their male counterparts. the dudes more often than not roll into class not giving an f and look like hell whereas the chicks more often than not just look like normal chicks. dont get so touchy about the implications of that sentiment. sometimes a brotha needs to spend his friday night throwing dice and killing orks or whatever, and i respect that. my best friend plays DnD, he just didnt seem to need to dress the part the rest of the time. and no one really believes that appearance dosnt matter, even in academic circles, thats why we all don our sunday best when we go to conferences.
Sorry to high jack the thread, but there is way too much to attack here.

Not sure what conference you go to, but I was dressed better than anyone at the AAS conference meet and greet for undergrads and professors from different schools. I certaintly didn't have any more or less people talk to me. No one cared. However, that is not even the point. Nobody dresses up for class or work; in fact, a grad student wearing a nice button down shirt will get more looks at Harvard than someone with a t shirt and jeans. As for class, most guys roll out of bed and show up for class looking like hell regardless of major; maybe your school was different.

Perhaps I did read too much into what you were saying, but you are still saying there is "acceptable" fasion for class/work. Your lifestyle and passions dictate fasion a lot. You are saying that its okay to game, but just don't advertise that. I ask the same question as before: if the guy came into work/class with good hygene, in shape, and the objectionable shirt, would you still have a problem with that (its okay to say yes, a lot of people would)? It has been my experience that the unshaved, fat guy with a beat up Paul Pierce jersey gets less dirty looks. Actually, a better example is a shirt I saw some guy wearing which had something to do with getting wasted, no one had a problem with it. Again, its okay to advertise that I like bar hoping (either through fasion or conversation), but if I said I enjoy gaming eyes roll.

nonick

Post by nonick » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:34 pm

astrofan wrote:Perhaps I did read too much into what you were saying, but you are still saying there is "acceptable" fasion for class/work.
The truth is that people, like it or not, do judge by the looks. So no matter where you are, it is important to dress nicely and look good. The sooner you understand that the better you'd be in the long run. It is understandable for freshmen to come to class with pajamas or with the whatever crappy free t-shirt they have, but by the time you graduate from college, I believe you need to realize that there is actually such a thing as acceptable fashion for class/work. And sluggar is unfortunately right. At least according to my observations so far, physics majors (especially guys) have harder time realizing this than the rest.

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:38 am

nonick wrote:
astrofan wrote:Perhaps I did read too much into what you were saying, but you are still saying there is "acceptable" fasion for class/work.
The truth is that people, like it or not, do judge by the looks. So no matter where you are, it is important to dress nicely and look good. The sooner you understand that the better you'd be in the long run. It is understandable for freshmen to come to class with pajamas or with the whatever crappy free t-shirt they have, but by the time you graduate from college, I believe you need to realize that there is actually such a thing as acceptable fashion for class/work. And sluggar is unfortunately right. At least according to my observations so far, physics majors (especially guys) have harder time realizing this than the rest.
I dunno I have been wearing the same stuff for the past 4 years. I am just too lazy to iron shirts and do all the dress up for class and am not lecturing or whatever... that might change as a TA, but I doubt it.

nonick

Post by nonick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:48 am

nonick wrote:At least according to my observations so far, physics majors (especially guys) have harder time realizing this than the rest.
Helio wrote: I dunno I have been wearing the same stuff for the past 4 years. I am just too lazy to iron shirts and do all the dress up for class and am not lecturing or whatever... that might change as a TA, but I doubt it.
Exactly my point.

slugger

Post by slugger » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:04 am

anyways its all cool. I was just throwing in my two cents about whether or not female physics students are hot. some ass-hat a few days ago said some BS that they are either dumb and hot or smart and beat, but i think that that is much more true of the males than the females when its true at all, at least IMHO.

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:10 am

nonick wrote:
nonick wrote:At least according to my observations so far, physics majors (especially guys) have harder time realizing this than the rest.
Helio wrote: I dunno I have been wearing the same stuff for the past 4 years. I am just too lazy to iron shirts and do all the dress up for class and am not lecturing or whatever... that might change as a TA, but I doubt it.
Exactly my point.
the problem with me is though that i am 6-7 and 240+ pounds, so i am not what you call normal.... I can't just go to the store and buy myself a dress shirt (i actually own 8)... so i am sort of exceptional.... btw... i do dress up if i have to or want. i just don't see the point in dressing up for lecture, WTF is the point in wearing a shirt to *** lecture or for a welcome weekend... it is not like you are trying to impress them and you are supposed to get an idea of the place.

i have mostly monochromatic (i can only use that word here) tshirts so no howling wolves or whatever comes around at times.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:12 am

astrofan wrote:Go *** yourself. As a person that can enjoy both, I can honestly say that I hear this complaint to much from "normal" people.
astrofan wrote:Sorry to high jack the thread, but there is way too much to attack here.
Astrofan, it looks like you're the only one getting your panties in a wad and attacking people here. The guy just made an observation that was pretty accurate. The are lots of moobs and howling wolf t-shirts in an undergrad physics classroom. Don't get offended and defensive, it's just a fact.