Biomedical Engineering Minor

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Velocitaneous

Biomedical Engineering Minor

Post by Velocitaneous » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:47 am

If I'm trying to get into grad school for Medical Physics and am currently majoring in Physics, would it help to get a minor in Biomedical Engineering? I mean sure, I would take classes in biology and imaging, but how much would this help with the admissions process for grad school? (My school is top 3 in the field) But would the grad schools I'm applying to even see that I got a minor in the subject?

Thanks,

Velocitaneous

Helio

Re: Biomedical Engineering Minor

Post by Helio » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:50 am

They would not oversee it imo. You show that you take interest in the subject and want to pursue it. They might care about the minor, but more about that you took the classes, so you might want to focus on the more medical physics type classes rather than the minor classes, there are most probably some there that have nothing to do with it

Velocitaneous

Post by Velocitaneous » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks a bunch :) . Does anyone else also have ideas/advice?

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Medical physics departments mostly care about your physics/mathematics background. There is some overlap in biomedical engineering in imaging and processing, but there are also a lot of things like (EKG design and physical strength of bones, for example) that do not overlap. It's best to concentrate on physics and take only those engineering courses that would be helpful.