Apply to grad school before graduate

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

mahar

Apply to grad school before graduate

Post by mahar » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:08 pm

I'll apply to grad school next fall but I'm going to graduate on May 2010.
Is this usual? Could I have problems with my applications?

coreycwgriffin

Re: Apply to grad school before graduate

Post by coreycwgriffin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:15 pm

mahar wrote:I'll apply to grad school next fall but I'm going to graduate on May 2010.
If you mean you're applying for admission to grad school in the fall of the year you graduate from an undergraduate school it's not unusual at all. Prepare applications in the fall of 2009, graduate in May of 2010, go to grad school in the fall of 2010.

Actually, I can't help but ask, is this a serious question?

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:59 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote:
mahar wrote:I'll apply to grad school next fall but I'm going to graduate on May 2010.
If you mean you're applying for admission to grad school in the fall of the year you graduate from an undergraduate school it's not unusual at all. Prepare applications in the fall of 2009, graduate in May of 2010, go to grad school in the fall of 2010.

Actually, I can't help but ask, is this a serious question?

you forgot the spiritual journey that every physics incoming graduate student has to take.. called... buying the jackson

tmc

Post by tmc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Actually I've known many (probably most of those I've met) graduate students who never took Jackson, simply because it didn't relate to their research.

Then again, I'm not in the states.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:51 pm

tmc wrote:Actually I've known many (probably most of those I've met) graduate students who never took Jackson, simply because it didn't relate to their research.

Then again, I'm not in the states.
Wow...I know most US grad schools require a course in E&M that almost always uses Jackson. Well, I guess if you pass the placement exam in E&M you wouldn't have to take it.

confused_p

Post by confused_p » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:12 am

I (rather my school) used Griffiths. He is funny :P

cato88

Post by cato88 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:24 am

For graduate school?

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:30 am

confused_p wrote:I (rather my school) used Griffiths. He is funny :P
The three Griffiths texts are indeed amazing. I used him for E&M last year, and for Quantum now.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:28 pm

confused_p wrote:I (rather my school) used Griffiths. He is funny :P
I agree with cato88, griffiths is an undergrad text.

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:30 pm

They are good undergraduate texts though. My teacher for upper level E&M spoke horrible english, never would of passed the course if it wasn't for griffiths having written a really decent book, same for my advanced quantum class.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:34 pm

evilclaw2321 wrote:They are good undergraduate texts though. My teacher for upper level E&M spoke horrible english, never would of passed the course if it wasn't for griffiths having written a really decent book, same for my advanced quantum class.
Yeah I agree, I like griffiths. I know a lot of people that think he is too informal and wordy, but I like a textbook that will sit me down and explain things in good ol' fashioned english.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:56 pm

grae313 wrote:
evilclaw2321 wrote:They are good undergraduate texts though. My teacher for upper level E&M spoke horrible english, never would of passed the course if it wasn't for griffiths having written a really decent book, same for my advanced quantum class.
Yeah I agree, I like griffiths. I know a lot of people that think he is too informal and wordy, but I like a textbook that will sit me down and explain things in good ol' fashioned english.
It's not just that his writing explains things well, but it's actually entertaining. That's hard to come by in a math or physics text.